Goodbye R18

I haven't been on these forums for quite some time, but there were many good folks contributing general conversation and model specific information.

BMW Sport Touring
BMW LT (Luxury Touring)
ADV Rider (Adventure Rider) In the forums go to Road Warrior section. It's an "all the above" category, but you'll find the RT as well as the R18. Great site that has been around a long time and worth checking for everything from trips, equipment, gear, etc., etc. Search is your friend.....
Thanks @BobW, just signed up on bmwlt - looks like a great resource!

I commute 104 miles a day with the first and last mile on washed out dirt roads. Granted I live in SoCal so weather really isn't a factor. But my R18 serves me well, of course my last bike was a HD Sportster so I might not have as high of a bar to compare to as some.

I had an RT and I agree that’s a better choice for a commuter. I commute on my R18B in mostly twisty back roads so not much traffic. I admit it took me a good week to get use to balancing this beast while taking off at stop signs turning. I love the adaptive cruise and hill hold feature. Thought the reverse gear would be nice too but I prefer to push the bike back manually.

For me, I’m 51 and this is a very rough time in my life. I needed something that I like to look at and the Unsophisticated earthly roar and vibration of the engine to emotionally move me. I also found contrary to the folks who reviewed this bike that it’s actually pretty impressive in the corners at high speed. I found myself without realizing it doing 100 MPH in the twisties without fear. That’s something I could never do on my 2018 HD Street Glide special edition.

Its no sport bike but it seems damn close to me! Perhaps just her Bavarian heritage…

I love my bike!

John

The R18 has a 1.5 in longer wheelbase then the Honda Goldwing - but is in TOTAL length 1.5 in shorter. And, it is approx the same weight as the non-tour Goldwing. I find the clutch very easy to feather/modulate at parking lot speed. I also had the Yamaha Eluder, now that was a bear to move around. I also had the Guzzi California 1400 - higher center of gravity definitely hurt in terms of moving around. The Yamaha Raider had even a lower center of gravity (or so it seemed to me ) and even with a raked out front was a half inch shorter wheelbase, BUT Raider was 6 inches longer overall. Low COG made Raider effortless to move, but length made it awkward. Overall, I'm pretty happy with R18. Very close to my dream bike (First Edition) but really disappointed with no cruise control !!

I have never owned the R1250RT but hear only good things. My R18TC is a mega beast, but I like it. I commute 28 miles one way to work and the R18 can do it easily.

Back