GoPro Mount

theMucker

Premium Member
A couple years ago I made a mount that places my GoPro camera below the headlight of my Indian Roadmaster. Having the camera centered, above the fender nets some really cool video, as the bike leans through the turns. It worked out so well that I NEEDED to make one for my R18. And the R18 has the perfect place for it. There are 4 screws that secure the upper fork covers in place. BMW uses them to also mount the windshields. So I made a mount that uses the same fasteners. It's 1/8" thick 304 stainless steel, so it's STRONG. After I try it out, if it works well, I'll paint it black.

20210328_145621 GoPro.jpg

The camera is off-center of the mount, to compensate for the lens position on the camera.

20210328_145645 GoPro.jpg20210328_145715 GoPro.jpg

My only reservation is the R18's "shakes". The GoPro is amazing in it's ability to eliminate camera shake, but can it handle the R18?
Of course, when I'm not planning on filming the ride, the mount comes off in a couple of minutes.

All I need now are charged batteries and a nice day to ride. Stand by for the results in a day or two.

It works well!
But the "bikini" front fender is a pain in the arse! Even the smallest wet spot on the road spatters the front of the bike with crud and that includes the GoPro.

Normally I just use a chin mounted go pro on my helmet. That way it records everything I see, rather then just what's in front of the bike
Yes. That's the normal method. But then you get video of everything that you turn your head toward, including when you're just checking out traffic at intersections, etc. With the GoPro on the bike, the video has the dynamic effects that come when the bike is leaned into a turn, when the horizon tilts at crazy angles.

The line below is a link to YouTube with a video that I made before I retired and was only riding local roads on my Indian Roadmaster.

Tail of the Possum Mill Road, Manorville, Long Island, NY - YouTube

The audio isn't great because I was experimenting with a remote microphone and YouTube likes to downgrade the video to 720 HD, even though it was filmed in HD. You can manually set it to HD video in the settings.

Last edited:
Back