got one, wish i waited?

If you mean the various other R 18 models, then my answer is "no". The only reason I bought my standard R 18 First Edition was the exceptionally low price offered via the very significant BMW incentives and I'm glad I did. The newer models have some very nice enhancements that I find interesting but I would not be willing to buy them at a MUCH higher price. I understand why other riders may feel otherwise but I have other bikes that fill my various "needs". I bought the one I got with the understanding that for me it is a great day tripper bike and I will enjoy it that way. Not trying to disparage it for touring or other purposes but that's just the way I intend to use it...

so now that it appears all the variants are here. anybody buy one and wish they waited and bought the next?
I have a FE Base model. I was one of the first to get it so I got to partake in the excitement and the novelty of the bike and that's was worth it to some degree. But with that mostly worn off... I do wish I had, at the very least, waited to get one with CC. I love the aesthetics of the naked barebones base model.

In my garage is another naked bike. I'm finding that they overlap too much. If I had known the full range of the subsequent variants, I may have waited for the Transcontinental. I don't have a true touring bike at the moment. While I hope that the sales on these models improve so development and production can continue, selfishly if it doesn't I wouldn't mind seeing huge discounts on the TC models so I can entertain the idea of switching to one.

I have yet to see an TC in person though... but I can't imagine I will like the aesthetics of it as much as the base model. It's such a good looking bike and I do love seeing it whenever I go into my garage.

I bought the bare-bones bike intentionally and I do not regret it one bit. The price with the rebates made me pull the trigger earlier than I thought I would.
I have an Indian Roadmaster and an FTR so the bare-bones around town cruiser fills the slot between the Indians.

I bought the Classic for the obvious reasons ..but I made sure it had CC, reverse and a windshield. Plus I love extra lights and the exhaust. It sounds perfect...The CC is a game changer, and my first bike with cruise. The other models are too big, not into tunes on a bike (and I'm a music freak), too expensive and heavy.

I bought my R18FE because of the deal that was available. The only bummer is there is no cruise. I thought it wouldn't be a issue, but I wish I had it on the longer rides...I am looking in the Atlas throttle lock, as a alternative to the factory CC. The reviews are great, and it lists the R18.

Reactions: Vyk
Bought the first 2021 R 18 Classic sold in Georgia, after ordering it in 2020 as the style interested me, and my 2000 LTC would be 20 1/2 years old, but still ran perfect after over 120,000 miles. I paid retail at the time in Jan 21 and did not get all the deals that were offered afterward. But still glad I did. Changed out the seat for a Mustang Day Rider and have been a happy camper since.

I'm still giddy with my Classic purchase. No desire to move to the B or TC. Just not a good fit. I originally test rode the Pure and loved it. It checked all the boxes in terms of value, price vs competition, looks and the desire for a different type of ride from my Road Glide experiences. When I started evaluating some of the difference between the Pure and the Classic, I wanted CC and knew I would eventually want some wind protection. The floorboards vs pegs weren't a big deal to me as I never used the heal shifter/rocker on my Road Glide. I also knew that I could remove the bags and windscreen to get close to the same feel as the Pure. I also thought the 16" was a smoother ride and more of the classic look vs the 19".
Lastly, Really don't feel the need to do any major customization like I did on my Harley. The seat is a given but not completely useless (I've never had a stock seat on any bike I've ever purchased) and other than crash bars or a rear rack, I'm set. Should the MadStad or Clearshield windscreens be a major difference, I may go down that road.
Still loving my original purchase.

Reactions: Vyk
I am connected to my R18.. I had to get at least one.. started with the FE bare bones, it's all me.. just a freaking huge boxer, pair of wheels and handlebars, BMW style.. never been happier.. seeing the incredible customizations done by folks on this site and around the world has only deepen my attachment to the bike. It could have a plywood seat and my grin would remain undiminished.

Last edited:
so now that it appears all the variants are here. anybody buy one and wish they waited and bought the next?
I got an FE literally a month after they hit the local showroom floor. I knew I was going to want bags, windshield, floorboards and a heel-toe shifter, and I knew that all of those things were available in the accessory catalog. Although I ended up paying more to accessorize the FE, I'm happier with the result. I MUCH prefer the Hepco & Becker bags with the C-bow mount as they come off so easily but are firmly locked in place when riding, not to mention the fact that they're bigger.

I’d ridden the base R18, Classic & R18B before I bought my Classic. I much prefer the look of the base and Classic to the fairing bikes. The tech on the R18B is interesting, but I tend to prefer simple on my bikes. The stock seat on the fairing bikes is better, but I resolved that with the Weekender on my R18. I also love how my Classic can strip down to be like a base R18 very quickly. A fairing makes it hard to get some cool airflow in the warmer months, so I prefer a removable windshield.

i do like the new red color available on 2022 models with the white pinstripes, but I also like my black with pinstripes I got. Only regret I have is winter has been too long and icy so I’ve not gotten to do as many miles as I’d like since I bought mine in December. The windscreen plus heated grips are good down to about 30F, but at 20F I was anxious to get home after about an hour. That is where a fairing could help, but most of our winter wasn’t just cold, but wet and that is when I won’t ride with ice on the road, so a fairing isn’t enough of a draw for me,

I'm happy with my '21 Classic First Edition. I added some Roland Sands accessories, got the Weekender seat, a sissy bar and rear luggage rack, and I'm good to go. But I will order a taller windscreen when they're widely available.

Guess I'm another me too regarding the low cost of the FE. I bought mine as it was deeply discounted. I was somewhat interested in trying something different than a Harley. But if the R18 was full price I would have passed on it. While I do like the TC version, I wouldn't pay that price. I also think with all the extra weight and no horsepower gain, another reason I wouldn't buy it. While I'm not one that buys a bike for an investment, I do "rotate" bikes in my garage. And unfortunately, the R18 has really lost alot of it's value. While my 2019 Fatboy, I only lost 2k when trading it in, in 2021, Today the best trade in offer I can get on my R18 is 7k less than I paid and offering it up for sale it's still really low.

Back