GPS electrical plug under gas tank

Bobby J.

Site Supporter
Elite Member
Hi, Has anyone located the GPS accessory plug under the gas tank? I've acquired the MID090005 plug to plug into the wiring harness plug. Looking for direction on lifting the tank to locate the harness plug. Thank you.

There was mention of this a few months ago. A member went looking and came up empty handed. By all means, lift the tank and report back. Several people here would love the help. There's definitely an accessory plug behind the LEFT side cover though.

Last edited:
There was mention of this a few months ago. A member went looking and came up empty handed. By all means, lift the tank and report back. Several people here would love the help. There's definitely an accessory plug behind the right side cover though.
Question on those accessory connectors (there are two of them AO plug 1 and 2)... they are connected after the main relais over a 15A fuse F3.... a bit unlogical since you do need to have the bike powered-up (main relais activated) if you want to have a (trickle) battery charger connected to these... correct?... btw I am still looking at information doc... the big beast is still at the dealers and I will pick it up by the end of the week

I finally got around to connecting the GPS to the GPS connector under the gas tank. Photos attached. The MID090005 connector snaps right in. Bobby J.

Attachments

• IMG_20221013_144210.jpg
    IMG_20221013_144210.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_20221013_144305.jpg
    IMG_20221013_144305.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 136
How hard was it to remove the gas tank? I asked once and no one really knew. I need to remove mine so I can take it to a specialty painter to paint a design on it.

Ok, I am lost. a gps plug? Maybe this does not apply to a base R18FE model. If it does, what is the purpose of this plug...since a base model does not come with a gps.
ty

Ok, I am lost. a gps plug? Maybe this does not apply to a base R18FE model. If it does, what is the purpose of this plug...since a base model does not come with a gps.
ty
I was wondering the same thing. The tech at my dealer thought mine had plug under my 21 base model but said they couldn't find one when it was in for service.

I was wondering the same thing. The tech at my dealer thought mine had plug under my 21 base model but said they couldn't find one when it was in for service.
It's just a power connector, located under the tank, for things like gps and such. I use it to power my phone on the handle bar... it is the switched 12VDC...

Tank removal has complexities, top engine cover needs removal to access the fuel quick disconnect on the right side. Push the disconnect into the reciever further before squeezing to disconnect. A two person job to lift tank slightly to disconnect wiring.

My model is a 2021FE, the accessory plug for GPS or whatever is there as per the photos.

Tank removal has complexities, top engine cover needs removal to access the fuel quick disconnect on the right side. Push the disconnect into the reciever further before squeezing to disconnect. A two person job to lift tank slightly to disconnect wiring.

My model is a 2021FE, the accessory plug for GPS or whatever is there as per the photos.
don't think you need to remove the tank... just loosen the two front bolts and remove the one rear bolt that holds the tank in place... you can then tilt the tank and get access to the plug... stick a piece of wood, covered in a cloth between tank and seat to hold it in place while you work at it

I finally got around to connecting the GPS to the GPS connector under the gas tank. Photos attached. The MID090005 connector snaps right in. Bobby J.
I ordered the same connector for when my apple car play thing arrives. Have you had any issues with it?

Yes, the accessory plug has 12V of power, however will not charge or turn on or off the Garmin GPS. Depending which BMW service department I listen to, the issue is due to either need to change a software setting or buy a BMW Garmin GPS with proprietary software. I haven't gotten around to doing anything further yet.

I installed my apply CarPlay thing this weekend. I initially couldn’t find the open connector on the right side under tank, I assumed the classic maybe used it for the extra lights, so I ended up running it to the left panel open socket. After getting it buttoned up THEN I found the open connector under the tank..smh. It was on the left side buried in a bundle. Oh well, maybe I will re route it if I add something else in the future. The device does power on and off with bike power so that’s a good thing.

I installed my apply CarPlay thing this weekend. I initially couldn’t find the open connector on the right side under tank, I assumed the classic maybe used it for the extra lights, so I ended up running it to the left panel open socket. After getting it buttoned up THEN I found the open connector under the tank..smh. It was on the left side buried in a bundle. Oh well, maybe I will re route it if I add something else in the future. The device does power on and off with bike power so that’s a good thing.
Did you take any pictures of it?

Back