Greetings from Central Virginia

Just put a deposit on a to-be-built Transcontinental in Galaxy Dust/Silver. To this point have never even sat on one, coming off a Harley Road Glide Special. Can always pull the deposit if it doesnt fit well, but wife and I really liked that color, and there are none in dealerships on the East Coast. We'll get to try one out this coming week to see if it will be a good fit for us. I look forward to hearing of all your experiences.

Last edited:
Just put a deposit on a to-be-built Transcontinental in Galaxy Dust/Silver. To this point have never even sat on one, coming off a Harley Road Glide Special. Can always pull the deposit if it doesnt fit well, but wife rand I really liked that color, and there are none in dealerships on the East Coast. We'll get to try one out this coming week to see if it will be a good fit for us. I look forward to hearing of all your experiences.
Greensboro has one, Charlotte has two.

Greensboro has one, Charlotte has two.
Interesting........dealer looked at inventory online and saw one in Michigan, one in Colorado, and one in California. I see several website with them in that color, but when you check - the website is outdated. On edit: Just looked - Charlotte now showing one new. Maybe my dealer (Morton's BMW) didnt know what he was looking at. That would be disconcerting given I was talking to the owner. Dunno.

When I left Charlotte on Saturday with this beauty, they had one used Galaxy Dust and one without ACC. Sorry, I got the good one. ;-) They were also unpacking a black.

They now have surplus of HD bikes given the 3 that got traded for R18s while I was working my deal.

Attachments

• 20220625_124943.jpg
    20220625_124943.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 8
Congrats! Beautiful bike. Did you trade in a Harley as well? If so, would love to hear your comparison. I've had 15 Harleys including many tourers, so know what I'm getting if I go back there. Really hoping wife and I like the R18.

When I left Charlotte on Saturday with this beauty, they had one used Galaxy Dust and one without ACC. Sorry, I got the good one. ;-) They were also unpacking a black.

They now have surplus of HD bikes given the 3 that got traded for R18s while I was working my deal.
Congratulations!

Didn't trade one, but have ridden a few and was set on buying a Road Glide until I saw the R18TC, so I'll count myself as a near HD convert too. IMHO, the R18 is more nimble and the bars are in a better place. I also don't have issues with getting my legs over the boxers and don't see that others would either if you're 5'10"+. The ACC is awesome! No complaints so far except for the glass that won't adjust, wish the sound would speed adjust, and a little worry about the one time start issue.

When I took the wife on a test ride before purchasing, I got a mile from the house when she said to turn around. I thought the ride back there must not compare to the RG. Then she said "don't go too far so you can hurry up and buy it" Accounting approves!

Btw, My screen name comes from a buddy of mine that is a life long HD guy. Laughed on the phone when I told him what I bought. Then he rode it and his first comment was that this could be a bike that slays HD with a few tweaks.

Didn't trade one, but have ridden a few and was set on buying a Road Glide until I saw the R18TC, so I'll count myself as a near HD convert too. IMHO, the R18 is more nimble and the bars are in a better place. I also don't have issues with getting my legs over the boxers and don't see that others would either if you're 5'10"+. The ACC is awesome! No complaints so far except for the glass that won't adjust, wish the sound would speed adjust, and a little worry about the one time start issue.

When I took the wife on a test ride before purchasing, I got a mile from the house when she said to turn around. I thought the ride back there must not compare to the RG. Then she said "don't go too far so you can hurry up and buy it" Accounting approves!

Btw, My screen name comes from a buddy of mine that is a life long HD guy. Laughed on the phone when I told him what I bought. Then he rode it and his first comment was that this could be a bike that slays HD with a few tweaks.
That is all great information given my last bike was a Road Glide Special. I'm 5'7" with a 30 inch inseam so hopefully I will fit well. Concerned about the reported lack of legroom compared to Harley floorboards, Perplexing to hear that many phones in a protective cover will not fit in the cubby - that's just silly. Mixed reporting on brakes, I didnt have any issues with the Harley brakes, but admittedly they werent cutting edge. While the R18 sound system reportedly beats out Harley's feeble offering, I will say that Harley does have a real Navigation unit, not reliant on a phone app - given the troubles fitting a phone in the right space - and there is automatic volume control.

Understand the R18's bags are smaller, not sure if that is really an issue for me overall. First thing I usually change on a Harley is the stock seat, so............

Hopefully will be able to see over the TC windshield, but can always put on a bagger windshield. In fact, in some ways I like the bagger better but you get quite a bit for the 3k difference.

In the end, it will be up to the one the wife likes the best as long as I can live with it. I know what I'm getting with Harley, good and bad, but REALLY want the R18 to work for me.

The TC fits me perfectly, at 5'7", I added the 719 seat, which is a little higher, mostly firmer, and still flatfoot no worries. I did recently add the Bagger windshield and after a few hundred highway miles on it can say I prefer the lower height and makes the bike seem even more nimble. I had tried the 7Jurock 18" with the stock seat but it was just a hair high.. I think I'll retry that again now with the 719 seat. Biggest bike I've ever owned, can be a bit daunting but I found I can pick it up by myself if I drop it so that adds confidence. Have over 6000 miles on it and it's just getting better every ride. Best fortune on your decision!

Link shows me, with the 719 seat and original windshield, note driveway slopes down, engine running, hill assist engaged.

Great information and all great points. I bought a R18 Classic myself. Never owned a BMW motorcycle with a boxer engine. I've owned many bikes, Trimphs, Honda, Kawa, etc.; never a HD (1997 Buell S1 Lighting doesn't count lol). There's one thing that I really like, among many, about the R18. I don't have all of that engine heat busting my ballz. That along with the looks is what did it for me. Oh, and the finance rate...

Great information and all great points. I bought a R18 Classic myself. Never owned a BMW motorcycle with a boxer engine. I've owned many bikes, Trimphs, Honda, Kawa, etc.; never a HD (1997 Buell S1 Lighting doesn't count lol). There's one thing that I really like, among many, about the R18. I don't have all of that engine heat busting my ballz. That along with the looks is what did it for me. Oh, and the finance rate...
That is one thing you reminded me that I forgot to mention about my experiences with Harley touring (most recently had a Street Glide, Road King and Road Glide Special). Even though they put some plastic air damns around the rear frame, my right thigh would feel like it was on fire on a hot day. Almost directly above where the cat is located in the header pipe.

The TC fits me perfectly, at 5'7", I added the 719 seat, which is a little higher, mostly firmer, and still flatfoot no worries. I did recently add the Bagger windshield and after a few hundred highway miles on it can say I prefer the lower height and makes the bike seem even more nimble. I had tried the 7Jurock 18" with the stock seat but it was just a hair high.. I think I'll retry that again now with the 719 seat. Biggest bike I've ever owned, can be a bit daunting but I found I can pick it up by myself if I drop it so that adds confidence. Have over 6000 miles on it and it's just getting better every ride. Best fortune on your decision!

Link shows me, with the 719 seat and original windshield, note driveway slopes down, engine running, hill assist engaged.
Great info - did you add the higher seat because the stock seat wasnt comfortable, you wanted to see better, give you extra room in the knee/hip bend? The TC I have a deposit on hasnt been built yet, so I can add the seat if needed. I'm used to mostly corbins on my harleys so a firm seat isnt a bad thing to me.

The stock TC seat was very comfortable, but I preferred something a bit firmer, the height of the 719 was actually a bonus as it allows a little less bend in the knee, but still wasn't too high... and the 719 is well crafted and does look very nice.

Mine has a 719 seat as well. Test drove a TC with stock seat and at 6-2 the windshield perfectly bisected my eyes. The 719 seat puts the windscreen just below my line of sight but still an few inches below the airflow. As the day gets later and I start to slump that changes but mom would approve cuz it keeps me from slouching. I'll most likely end up with a seat with backrest but it works well for now.

I'm also a big fan of the hill assist. There's enough rollies in NC that I find plenty of use for it.

Mine has a 719 seat as well. Test drove a TC with stock seat and at 6-2 the windshield perfectly bisected my eyes. The 719 seat puts the windscreen just below my line of sight but still an few inches below the airflow. As the day gets later and I start to slump that changes but mom would approve cuz it keeps me from slouching. I'll most likely end up with a seat with backrest but it works well for now.

I'm also a big fan of the hill assist. There's enough rollies in NC that I find plenty of use for it.
My last couple Harleys had hill assist as part of the RDRS package, about 1k extra I believe. Also included traction control and TPMS.

Wife and I rode the TC yesterday and here are our impressions compared to Road Glide much of which is restating what others have said.

TC much more comfortable especially two up. Plenty of power, sound system rock! Looks great in black with First Edition. Fit and finish superb. Very light on its feet.

There are vibrations, not excessively so, but more than I felt with RG. Front brakes ok, felt kinda wooden. Maybe just not bedded in yet, maybe some air in system. Transmission shifts are silky but with familiar thunk the RG had.

I had a difficult time finding the shift lever; set inboard of floorboards instead of out where floorboards are - takes getting used to.

My Iphone 13 pro with case doesnt fit $&@!

Wife said the TC was infinitely more comfortable to ride on than any Harley I’ve had.

Because we liked it to much, and the promo that ends today, we bought it. Picking it up next week after cruise is over and riding it back to Virginia from Daytona.

Wife and I rode the TC yesterday and here are our impressions compared to Road Glide much of which is restating what others have said.

TC much more comfortable especially two up. Plenty of power, sound system rock! Looks great in black with First Edition. Fit and finish superb. Very light on its feet.

There are vibrations, not excessively so, but more than I felt with RG. Front brakes ok, felt kinda wooden. Maybe just not bedded in yet, maybe some air in system. Transmission shifts are silky but with familiar thunk the RG had.

I had a difficult time finding the shift lever; set inboard of floorboards instead of out where floorboards are - takes getting used to.

My Iphone 13 pro with case doesnt fit $&@!

Wife said the TC was infinitely more comfortable to ride on than any Harley I’ve had.

Because we liked it to much, and the promo that ends today, we bought it. Picking it up next week after cruise is over and riding it back to Virginia from Daytona.
Congratulations. I agree on the Shifter. Took about a ride to get used to it. Now I like it better. Keeps the boards clear without it getting in the way.

The phone holder is a bit gimmicky. Working on a solution to that now. Maybe I can have some good news there soon.

Back