Greetings from Houston, TX — battery tender?

Hi, all — Glad to see this group exists, as I don’t know anyone in Houston with an R-18 and even the dealers are getting to know it!

Does anyone know if a battery tender can be connected to the power outlet near the reverse lever? I tried that using my Harley-brand charger + adapter but nothing is happening, maybe because electric flow only works there with ignition on?

Thanks!

The battery tender adapters are hit and miss with can bus. If you don’t want to spring for an Optimate 4 or BMW charger, you can wire a battery tender pigtail directly to the battery terminals and use your “normal” battery tender.

Hi, all — Glad to see this group exists, as I don’t know anyone in Houston with an R-18 and even the dealers are getting to know it!

Does anyone know if a battery tender can be connected to the power outlet near the reverse lever? I tried that using my Harley-brand charger + adapter but nothing is happening, maybe because electric flow only works there with ignition on?

Thanks!
I think only a BMW with the CAN BUS set up should be used. BTW I'm from Illinois.

I have been using a CTEK charger connected directly to the Battery.
Use the one char81BPcpNWahL._AC_SL1500_.jpgger for the R1200RT, K1600B, R18 and the airplane since they all sleep in the same hangar.
The thing I like about this particular charger is the "Status Light" on the receiver plugs.
Just a glance around the room and I know which, if any, of the batteries need to be connected to the charger.

Thanks for your prompt response, Gilles! I went ahead and ordered Optimate 4 on Amazon (after researching what can bus meant, if I’m being honest...)
Since I don't have my R18 yet I haven't tried my Optimate 4 with it but I've used mine with my previous BMW for a number of years through the Canbus plug and it worked great. I liked my Optimate 4 so much I bought an Optimate 6 for my BMW 330ix. Great charger.

Back