Guide: Converting your BMW R18 Bagger into a TransContinental

Black Paint Code: ND2 I spoke to Cross Country BMW here in NJ; the black paint code is ND2. I'll have to check with my body shop and get this verified for those who are looking to have items painted (leg wind protectors). I'll see if I can get a list of paint codes for the other colors.

I'm following up on the issue I described where you cannot retrofit a TC Top Box to a bagger and get a full experience such as the speakers & brake light are not possible to work via BMW's Canbus system using the dealer software. I sent a note to BMW Motorrad customer service and received this reply:

Please know that while we do understand the importance of your concern, BMW Motorrad Customer Relations is unable to offer technical assistance or recommended repairs for your bike, as we rely solely on the service teams at our authorized BMW Motorrad centers to assist our customers with maintaining, diagnosing, and repairing our products.

Our service teams go through extensive product training and courses to be able to provide our valued customers with the technical assistance that BMW Motorrad Customer Relations cannot. As a result, we recommend speaking with the Service Manager, Jxxxxxxxx at MAX BMW Motorcycles in North Hampton, NH. He has the expertise to provide you detailed technical support and is in the best position to further assist you. For your reference, Jeremy can be reached at xxxxxxx

I apologize that we were unable to provide any additional information or assistance in this case, Adam. But we thank you again for writing and hope that these issues are resolved for you very soon!

So, no help then. The person they referenced did try for a few hours. I replied back with this:

Thanks LXXXX, I worked with XXXXX and since a retrofit from BMW Motorrad is not available, he could not do the work. I am merely passing this on as an escalation and maybe a retrofit will come available if another customers request it. So if you do track requests, you can file this one away. No other action requested.

That’s a really good question. I don’t but a quick call to the nearest BMW dealer and they can tell you.
Went there yesterday and the Parts person was on his computer for 45 minutes and the best he could come up with was that it maybe should come with the plastic top case bottom part, but mine did not, it was only the plastic frame that i got... and now this is the only part that i am missing, my whole room is otherwise filled with parts i ordered for the top case (as per your original post by the way Adam ;) )

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Hello, does anyone know what is the part number of this top case metal carrier plate?

View attachment 10458
Maybe Adam C and or Byron (R12C-R18TC) has pictures of when the top box was removed and or installed that might be used to try and identify the missing part? Perhaps you can fabricate your own hardware, if it only provides a mounting function and isn't cosmetic?

I think looking at some example pictures might help.

First, WOW @kk61vo! I think a lot of people could appreciate a full thread or even video of you making your own top box. Awesome project and a bit more $$$ than I spent.
----

I would have to take my top box off to get you that part number. I watched my video back and I can't see any place that part number is stamped at all.

Little update about my problem. If ecer there comes a time when someone else is struggeling with the same thing. Anyways, I went to my local BMW dealer and what they did find was that this plate that connects the top box to the frame, it wasnt available as a spare part from BMW. It should come in stock on october 1st 2023 what is today. And i belive it is the case and now we can also order it. There still are these rubber cascets that still are not available but they should alao be orderable soon. So the reason why it was impossible to find it and order it was that BMW did not sell it yet but now or at least during the month of october, these should all come into stock and be orderable,

Back