Hard starting.

Folo

Good morning,

I got a peculiar issue with my base r18 and wondered if others have this quirk. The bike has begun taking more time to crank over after 3k miles.

When you start it up and let the system boot, prime fuel pump, etc and finally hit the ignition my bike will crank over various times and not start. Then after letting it go for a couple seconds I try again and it'll crank then almost always immediately start up and I'll go about my ride with no further issue.

Tank fuel level does not seem to matter, temp doesn't matter. This issue hits me both in the early morning hours and later in the afternoon when I leave work. For reference, I'm in Miami where the temp/ humidity varies wildly as well.

Has anyone had this issue occur?

Edit: found a similar thread noting the same issue. Will attempt to try gas stations out of my usual routes to see if that improves things.

Last edited:
This seems to be an issue that shows up after 1,000-3,000 miles for some users, myself included. It does not seem to matter where you fill up, at least for those of us that have been experiencing it.

The good news is that it does seem to go away after a while.

Yes. When mine had the issue, it would try and turn over at least twice as long as your video and would not start. It would always fire on the second attempt.

This lasted for a couple of months and then the issue went away.

Update: Installing the DNA air filter with its own frame and removing the plastic air box & snorkels have improved the starting. Secondary cranks have dropped in necessity by 60% percent give or take and has definitely made a difference.

I also tried one new fill-up in a different gas station kind of out of the way from my usual route.

This seems to be an issue that shows up after 1,000-3,000 miles for some users, myself included. It does not seem to matter where you fill up, at least for those of us that have been experiencing it.

The good news is that it does seem to go away after a while.
My 2021 R18C has started doing this as well. Much in the same way others on this thread have described. Hopefully it goes away. I have a feeling that if taken to a dealer, they wouldn't be able to track it down... I wonder if there are any ecu updates that might solve it.

Same as others here and yes when I took it to the dealer, of course it started first time every time as it was at operating temp. So there was nothing they could do. At next full service I will get them to look into it.
Meantime not really a big issue and looks like it resolves itself in time.

Right on schedule my 2021 R18 started doing this at about 2500 miles. Was just the first start of the day, now it seems to happen if the bike is off for a couple of hours - so seems to be a cold engine issue. I replaced the battery and no change. I had it at the dealer's service dept for maintenance - they basically shrugged and said it's something they hear all the time and just a "BMW thing". It's annoying at best I supposed - BUT it's a relatively new bike and I expect it to work as designed. I had a couple of weeks where it seemed better (first start of the day weaker rotation but it would catch on first try)...then the full service and new battery and since then (I don't think it's related to the service) it happens all the time and more frequently during the day. Still haven't had the issue on a hot engine - but kinda waiting for it. Anyway you aren't alone and I haven't heard anyone being stranded as a result (i.e. no start). I still always get nervous on the 2nd try...

I have this same issue. Not sure exactly when it started but when my roadking would have trouble starting like this it meant the battery was old and needed to be replaced. In this case it doesnt seem to be the battery (my bike is a 2021) so it seems it's a weird "BMW thing" like one dealer said.

@Folo How is the new air filter impacting your initial starting, still good or did the issue return?

The issue returned after another week or so. Kind of irritating. Most I can say is use ethanol free fuel and just crank the bike twice instead of trying to drag the first time longer than necessary.

Dragging the first time long seems to dump a bunch of gas and still doesn’t start but 2nd try ignites the fire excess gas - I get a start on 2nd try and if I held the first too long I also get a good blow of blue smoke.

I’ve gotten used to it and let off as soon as I know it won’t light off

Thanks! Unfortunately I dont have a gargage - but a brand new battery did nothing. I suspect it's software related...the service guys say a lot of BMW bike owners (not just the R18) have the same issie. I use 93 octane....doubt its fuel related but I'll dial it back and aww what happens. Can';t hurt!

Back