Hello from Beaverton, Oregon

I picked up my R-18 about a month ago from BMW of Seattle. Purchased a 2022 R18 Classic in Mars Red Metallic and got the Weekender seat to make it a little more comfortable.
This is my first Cruiser style bike, with my previous being a 1994 R100R and a 1999 R1100R.

I'm astonished at how much I love this bike, she's an absolute dream to ride. We live in an area that is rapidly becoming over-crowded so I end up doing a lot of riding in somewhat congested traffic. Once I get a chance, however to get on the back-roads, the riding position and available power make this a perfect bike for a relaxed afternoon tour.

Now I've got the bug for the bagger, I'm curious if the extra travel in the rear suspension makes for a different ride.

R18.jpg

beautiful bike. I haven't seen too many in that color, it is awesome. I hear red is faster than any other color. :) Enjoy

Welcome. I live near McMinnville and bought my 2021 R18 FE this summer. Amazing bike. I love my weekender seat with backrest.

Attachments

• IMG_2852.jpeg
    IMG_2852.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2792.jpeg
    IMG_2792.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 9
Congratulations and the red is 😍.

I’ve ridden my Classic with the weekender seat around a good loop from the Smokey’s to the Cascades and back and it’s a better tourer than I would have thought at first. I ride relaxed paces with as much two lane as possible and she was fine for 500-600 miles a day with the biggest concern being the smaller petrol capacity. The miles per gallon go up quite a bit after you get a few thousand miles on her and make sure your rear shock has been adjusted reasonably close for your weight. Takes literally only a few seconds and there are some threads on the site as well as good directions in the manual.

Enjoy 🍻🍻

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase. She sure looks amazing.
The advice given by BobW is spot on.
I rode the R18 FE once and then I rode the B and for me the B was the way to go.
But this is purely a personal choice. Yes, I found the extra travel on the suspension a plus and all the other bit extras that the B has but someone younger may prefer a nimbler machine with a design suited for the needs, purpose and taste.
Whatever you decide, I think the R18 is an awesome machine in any configuration. Enjoy it 👊

I've ridden a Classic and a R18 B, and the answer is yes, the larger fuel tank and the 4.7" of rear travel shock makes a big difference if where you ride is rougher, or less maintained 2 lane roads, with cracks, tar snakes and perhaps even railroad tracks you need to traverse. The R18 B is superior in these conditions. Granted, it's heavier, too, and more expensive. Also probably the poorest selling in the whole R18 lineup.

I took her out for a ride in the cold air this morning and realized how much I like being able to ride with or without the windscreen. I think that alone makes me prefer the Classic. Now if they offered the larger tank, auto suspension and the removable screen……..just about perfect for me!

Back