Hello from Germany

Yes, in the tank like in cars too.
I came in from a short testride by cold 10°C. First the noise was not clear to listen but near the end of the trip the noise came back in focus again.

No pump noise on mine for the time being.
I have more than 2700km now, and when it is cold in my garage I can hear a kind of squealing noise when I put the first gear.
It disappeared recently with the warm weather we have now in France

I don't mean it is a thing of hot and cold.
I heard it first bei 20°C.
Today by 10°C the same sound.
I have used different apps with my cell to record the sound. One peak is by 1000Hz.
A second app with frequency generator shows me that a frequency of 1000Hz is very near to what I hear at my R18.
It can be normal for the fuelpump but it is for me very difficult to accept.

No pump noise on mine for the time being.
I have more than 2700km now, and when it is cold in my garage I can hear a kind of squealing noise when I put the first gear.
It disappeared recently with the warm weather we have now in France
The fuelpump starts turning with running engine. The noise with ignition on I can hear too. So i think it is not the fuel pump, but maybe the ABS or another unit. If you don't start the engine the sound stops after a minute or so.

I may be wrong, but the pump is meant to stop when the required pressure is reached when the engine doesn't run.
And when running the pump works all the time to keep feeding the engine.

You might be right. The R1200C starts the pump after ignition for only one or two seconds, then stopped.
By the R18 the noise after ignition is different to the pump-noise, i mean.

Sign me up for this as well - I started hearing the whine sometime last week and now it rings through my helmet at pretty much all but freeway speeds.

We are here on a presentation thread.
Better to use the dedicated thread about the whining bikes 😆

this link:

Last edited:
I purchased mine in Georgia, USA. It's standard R18 manufactured in 2021. I hear that high pitched whine all the time from the idling to maybe 60mph. I talked to my dealer and am waiting for a response. If this is a common trouble then BMW should recall for the whining fuel pump.

I think I replied in your other thread.... It's not a problem with the fuel pump itself, but rather with how it is controlled. The dealer has a firmware update that solves this problem. Tell them to look it up in PuMA (their database of common problems and fixes). It completely solves the problem. At this point, I'd have hoped that they would have done this prior to selling the bike (the problem has been solved for nearly a year now) but it's an easy fix in any case.

Back