Hello from Northern Virginia, USA

Vyk

Site Supporter
Hi all,

I preordered the bike the hour it became available! I knew I had to have one the moment I saw it.
I picked up my R18 a few weeks ago..
It's a beauty but also the heaviest bike I've ever owned.

This is my 5th BMW.
I'm usually the one farkling out bikes and pushing my limits with them (road, track and dirt; not high limits though :LOL:), but with this bike I plan to leave it clean and minimalistic as possible and just cruise/chill on it.

I've only been able to do a few hundred miles so far but they've been great.

Attachments

• 20201003193028_IMG_5637~2.jpg
    20201003193028_IMG_5637~2.jpg
    608.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 20201003193115_IMG_5640.jpg
    20201003193115_IMG_5640.jpg
    477.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5665.jpg
    IMG_5665.jpg
    15.9 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5670.jpg
    IMG_5670.jpg
    14.6 MB · Views: 18
Thank you! I'm actually at my dealership for the first service right now. A couple are getting theirs, one each, delivered! Great to see a lot of interest in this bike. Pretty cool.

I hope you get yours soon!

Yes ill let you know when it arrives. Be nice to get that lovely clean oil in your bike and ride without keeping an eye on the clock. Enjoy.

Morton's BMW in Fredericksburg Virginia. There is one closer but I like to stick to one dealer, particularly because Morton's treats me well and takes care of my bikes well. Highly recommend.

The first service was 269.06 + tax.
They have a loyalty program so ended up paying around 200.

Hi guys, I’ve had my lovely R18 delivered now. It’s been in the garage now for about three weeks and ive not ridden yet as the roads are full of salt just now. I have had it ceramic coated though and it looks even more stunning...very deep wet looking shine. No accessories available yet here in UK so a bit frustrating....would like some soft bags etc. Kind regards.

I pick up my bike in April. I had ceramic coating put on my RT 1250 to protect the white finish. I am also considering putting ceramic on the R 18. I’m curious as to what you paid? Thanks

Reactions: Vyk
With three months of mostly winter riding behind you, how many miles have you managed to accumulate on your R18?
Hi there! I've put about 1400 miles in the first month and a half. Unfortunately back in November, coming back from a 300ish mile ride, 2 miles from home, I hit a deer. It was close to my neighborhood and I was going about 30mph so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

I was able to ride the bike back but since then I had to tow it to my dealer. I had to get 5 stitches on my hand but no permanent or other injuries. My dealer has been having a hard time getting part numbers, prices and availability as it's so new. I fear it may be totaled.

As they count up every little defect for the estimate, it'll be astronomical. There is no lien on it so I think there might be some flexibility there but I don't know if I would be willing to live with cosmetic defects on such a perfectly crafted bike. The situation isn't resolved yet.

They have a couple of new ones available right away if it goes that way.

It did make me ponder, uncomfortably, whether mine was the first crash of the new model...

(I haven't been checking the forum as it wasn't pleasant to do so under the circumstance but I've largely gotten over it now).

Last edited:
Wow, I feel for you brother. What a piss off to have such a brand new lovely bike and have it all scuffed and scratched up through no fault of your own. Thank God you are relatively OK.

I am curious to know about what cylinder head damage you experienced as a result of the lay down?

Stay well

Thank you.

The engine block and the heads are untouched. No cracks or other damage as far as they can tell. The cosmetic cover, however, is scratched and ground up.

Attachments

• PXL_20201123_233814996.jpg
    PXL_20201123_233814996.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 31
  • PXL_20201122_221208120.jpg
    PXL_20201122_221208120.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Thank you.

The engine block and the heads are untouched. No cracks or other damage as far as they can tell. The cosmetic cover, however, is scratched and ground up.
Dang! The good news is that you're doing well. I'm sure nobody wants to be the "first" to have an accident with an all new model of motorcycle, but you may have that "honor" none the less. I hope that the rebuild/replacement goes well. I'm looking forward to reading a post about you being back in the saddle of a new R18 soon.

Reactions: Vyk
Wow, I feel for you. I've had one bad crash over the years on a F650 CS. Got VERY lucky and walked away. So, we must count our blessings.

Hello! I am a new member, but have had my r18 since mid-September 2020. Seems like I had one of the very early ones! As soon as I saw it was going to become a production bike, I placed an order with Wolf BMW in London, Ontario, Canada (Great folks). Loving the bike so far! Anxiously awaiting the availability of some exhaust options and some of the OEM accessories, also. Here it is beside my r60/5:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 11.26.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 11.26.28 AM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 9
I ended up buying a second R18 First Edition. Took delivery today. I thought about going with the Classic but I was able to get a smoking deal on a used one that hasn't even had it's first service yet.

I figured I can live without cruise control and can get the factory windscreen at a later date. It did occur to me when I took delivery that the factory screen with aux lights may need a new switch cluster... in which case cruise control retrofit might be available at the same time.

Back