Hello from Russia

Kornish

Hello everyone from Moscow, Russia. I own R1200RT. And I want to change it to R18. Can you tell me how convenient it is on long trips?

Greetings and welcome to the site. Can you tell us which model of the R18 you are considering. If it is a standard R18 FE or R18C models you better keep you R1200RT for long trips. I have both the R18 FE and an R1250RT and the R18 is not suitable for long distance riding and fails in comparison to the RT. On the other hand if you are considering one of the touring models of the R18 line up such as the R 18 B or the R 18 TC they may other better comfort and amenities for long distance riding that is better compared to the R1200RT.

i am sorry your country is at war.

Greetings and welcome to the site. Can you tell us which model of the R18 you are considering. If it is a standard R18 FE or R18C models you better keep you R1200RT for long trips. I have both the R18 FE and an R1250RT and the R18 is not suitable for long distance riding and fails in comparison to the RT. On the other hand if you are considering one of the touring models of the R18 line up such as the R 18 B or the R 18 TC they may other better comfort and amenities for long distance riding that is better compared to the R1200RT.

i am sorry your country is at war.
Greetings, R2R!
Unfortunately, I can't afford to have two motorcycles at once. Therefore, RT is closing all my needs now. Daily trips to work, evening promenades around the city and rare trips. Sometime ago I had a Yamaha XV1900 Stratoliner.. and lately I've been drawn back to big and iron bikes. Currently I am looking for an R18 in any version and I want to understand how convenient it will be as the only motorcycle for all occasions.

Kornisk,

How tall are you? If you are on the shorter side you may have a chance getting comfortable on long rides with the R18 C

Kornisk,

How tall are you? If you are on the shorter side you may have a chance getting comfortable on long rides with the R18 C
188 sm
By the way, has anyone tried to attach plastic bags from the bagger to the classic version? Couldn't find any information about it

Just a reminder... Site Rules

Disallowed specific topics
We're all about freedom of speech, however there are some topics that don't belong here, such as:

Running from the cops.
Police bashing/slander.
Breaking the law.
No satanic threads/links etc.
Politics.
Any form or racism PERIOD.

You are same height as me, you will Not find the R 18 very comfortable for long rides. You are going scrunched up. Lots of options for bags on the R18 but I haven’t heard of anyone putting bagger parts on a classic. Giving you a picture of my FE.

Attachments

• 1666B305-4A0C-446E-A390-E759288AD887.jpeg
    1666B305-4A0C-446E-A390-E759288AD887.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
Right, I remember when another powerful country attacked some independent nations, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan etc…( don’t even try to justify with Osama, Saudi citizen hiding in Pakistan and we attack Afghanistan and Iraq) they was neighboring countries messing with us? Oh wait, other side of the world, incapable to reach us. I assume you supported all those small countries?
Here is the deal, I don’t have a horse in the race but can’t hear other side only western propaganda. So I’m not jumping to conclusions coz tv told me so. I’ll bet that ether one of you didn’t bother to study or ask about political history of Ukraine in last 25 years. So yep let’s support small county attacked by big country. Long live Vice President!
Small fact we don’t learn in the school, during civil war, Russia sent fleet of war boats to sit in Atlantic and in the case European countries brake blockade of the south, they are to answer to gen Grant.
There is no stupid questions, only ignorant people.
Admin, I’m guilty for braking the rules and I’ll stop this moment but please consider I didn’t start this political rants.

Right, I remember when another powerful country attacked some independent nations, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan etc…( don’t even try to justify with Osama, Saudi citizen hiding in Pakistan and we attack Afghanistan and Iraq) they was neighboring countries messing with us? Oh wait, other side of the world, incapable to reach us. I assume you supported all those small countries?
Here is the deal, I don’t have a horse in the race but can’t hear other side only western propaganda. So I’m not jumping to conclusions coz tv told me so. I’ll bet that ether one of you didn’t bother to study or ask about political history of Ukraine in last 25 years. So yep let’s support small county attacked by big country. Long live Vice President!
Small fact we don’t learn in the school, during civil war, Russia sent fleet of war boats to sit in Atlantic and in the case European countries brake blockade of the south, they are to answer to gen Grant.
There is no stupid questions, only ignorant people.
Admin, I’m guilty for braking the rules and I’ll stop this moment but please consider I didn’t start this political rants.
So you're telling me that everythng, including the nuclear threat is BS?

No brother, what I’m telling is this, it’s their damn business. When we was fighting “commies” all around the world they let us be.
Ukraine de facto didn’t exist until ussr collapsed. There is no old kingdom of Ukraine, was invented as one of 16 republics in ussr. Russian calling them all kind of names, how we know what is really happening there? Some bad business and blood in last 25 years. I don’t know anything and don’t support Russia ether, screw them all. But nobody and I mean nobody gave us other side of the story! And I hate to look where tv told me to look and do what tv told me to do.
I want my diesel 2,50$ need to drive next week to Utah and back, will cost me 2100$ just for fuel. How much we love and support Ukraine and hate Russia? 5$ per gallon? 8$ per gallon?
No hard feelings here, just trying to be objective and push people to think outside of the box.
Happy ridings!
And for Russian bike comarad, R18 classic is not for long trips but damn fun bike to ride! By my humble opinion.

Listen this, Putin have only one pipeline to sell gas to Europe and it’s going through Ukraine. There are Ukraine sitting on the valve, playing with it, asking all kinds of favors, cheap gas, free gas…stealing gas when Putin say no.
Putin tried to make new pipeline, south corridor, Obama didn’t let him do it (long story)
Putin tried again this time north line, Trump said no this time. As soon Biden become president, he let him finish north line. Guess what happened once Putin can sell gas without Ukraine blackmailing him? He attacked them!
Now, Biden pumping money to keep war going coz he can blame Putin for everything! Gas price? Putin did it! No milk? Putin did it! Inflation rising? Putin! It’s not me and my decisions, Putin make me do it!
That reminds me, I have Putin and Biden here, one is 7 and one is 5.
In meantime you and I paying gas through the nose and our tax money fueling massacres in Ukraine, it’s harsh to say but without our money that war will be long over. But then who will Biden blame?

$5/gal situation was exactly the same in 1939. I think many would agree US made a damn right decision to support Britain and USSR at that time.
I also happen to be Russian and yes, Ukraine needs and deserves help to defend their land.

@Kornish i don't think you're surprised that political stuff pop up everywhere nowadays if you mention Russia or Ukraine...
I'm 194cm, own R18C and have exp with mid/long rides of ~500-700km with a couple stops to stretch/refuel. All this with a non stock seat (Corbin Solo)- this is really important since many (including me) consider the stock one not sufficient for long rides. Your experience in long rides will also depend a lot on your knees' and hips' condition. If you have difficulties siting in almost the same position for hours then you might experience pain riding this big boxer long distance OR would need to stop more often to stretch. Luckly, i have no issues going miles on it:)
It's amazing motorcycle. A piece of art.

Listen this, Putin have only one pipeline to sell gas to Europe and it’s going through Ukraine. There are Ukraine sitting on the valve, playing with it, asking all kinds of favors, cheap gas, free gas…stealing gas when Putin say no.
Putin tried to make new pipeline, south corridor, Obama didn’t let him do it (long story)
Putin tried again this time north line, Trump said no this time. As soon Biden become president, he let him finish north line. Guess what happened once Putin can sell gas without Ukraine blackmailing him? He attacked them!
Now, Biden pumping money to keep war going coz he can blame Putin for everything! Gas price? Putin did it! No milk? Putin did it! Inflation rising? Putin! It’s not me and my decisions, Putin make me do it!
That reminds me, I have Putin and Biden here, one is 7 and one is 5.
In meantime you and I paying gas through the nose and our tax money fueling massacres in Ukraine, it’s harsh to say but without our money that war will be long over. But then who will Biden blame?
All I see is murdering of innocence, women and children wholesale on a grand scale threatening the world with fing nukes...UTTERLY unacceptable...insanity. Everything your saying is conjecture, your opinion, and perhaps some of it's true, but the west is NOT commiting mass murder and threatening nuclear fing war, bottom line hard fing core. This all I will say...and I apologize to the moderators for skewing politically.

Last edited:
Kornish, I have the R18 Transcontinental and really enjoy the bike. I'm 63 years old, 5'10" (178cm) with a 30" (76cm) inseam. I found it more comfortable and easier to maneuver at both low & high speed than the K1600 GTL that I intended to buy. Unfortunately my longest ride so far has only been about 300 miles, in mixed weather conditions. The bike was fine for me for that distance and I think it will be fine for long-distance touring.

My other bike is an R1150 GS that I've put 100k miles on. I really enjoy the GS both for commuting and for multi-day, high-mileage rides. Both bikes make me smile. I hope this helps.

And you other guys need to shut up and take your politics where it belongs... not here!

Last edited:
Kornish, as someone who has had a K1600GT, which is most similar to your 1200, I can say the only R18 that would mirror that type of comfort for long trips would be the Transcontinental. I have the Classic First Edition, and I would not use it for a long trip.

Back