Hello new R18 owner.

Dpolo1

I really like my bike. I don't have an owners manual. My problem is the reverse only moves the bike like 3 feet and stops. Any help appreciated.

Welcome. Someone recently posted a detailed explanation of the reverse assist functionality. It will be on here somewhere if you search the threads. If its physical demand is too great (eg gradient is too steep or the starter motor gets too hot) it disables itself with a flashing R.

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you are having issues. You will normally need to rock the bike a bit back and forth before engaging the reverse gear to release any tension and that should be it. It takes only a couple of seconds and I do it without even realising I am doing it. Now, yours seems to go back 3 feet and then stop. That is not normal. Try the rocking method first and if it does not improve you should take it back to the dealership for an inspection. You paid top dollar so don’t be shy to ask 😉
As Rufus mentioned, there are a couple of topics here about the reverse gear. Just type that on the search bar and you will have a decent amount of info there. Hope you get it sorted.

You might be touching the front brake lever or something.... quite a normal reflex to slow things down a bit.... any brake, clutch or throttle will stop the reverse function.

Welcome to the forum, it’s a great site as you are learning. Would like to see a picture of your R18

You might be touching the front brake lever or something.... quite a normal reflex to slow things down a bit.... any brake, clutch or throttle will stop the reverse function.
Try searching the forum, using "reverse" as the search word, opposed to starting a whole new thread on the same topic.

Okay. With that information I can tell you exactly! What is wrong. The issue is the control unit for the reverser. It will eventually completely fail. Which it sounds like you’re close. I already went through this and had the unit replaced 1 month before my warranty was expiring.

My warranty ends in July. Contacted dealer made appointment to have reverse module replaced under warranty it appears .bnw I having issues with bad reverse modules.

Back