Hello - R18 Transcontinental - Slightly Nervous

Gorgeous bike, glad you went for it! I'm a new member here, so you're my first post.... pick up our TC next week and looking forward to putting on some two-up miles again.

Hi, Little late to this thread.

I have about 2000 two up miles on the TC so far. I can confirm the comments so far. Luggage is smaller than the bags on my R1200RS. She is a heavy bike, named her the Kraken. Takes some getting used too but not horrible with practice. You get all the bells and whistles available for a high end bike in the current market. My better half loves the seat. Longest trip so far was five hours and she had no complaints.

I was originally disappointed that the windshield was not adjustable but find that the wind deflectors work great in both positions and that an adjustable windshield is not needed. Only thing I plan on changing is the seat. For me it is too soft. I have an appointment to do the ride in service at Russell in October.
Enjoy the TC so far I have been very happy with the purchase.

I forgot to add one thing. The stock rear tire has a super flat profile. I am hoping that once it wares down and I replace it that a more standard profile tire it will feel a bit more normal to me. This is my first cruiser. All my other bikes are considerably sportier.

Hello Everyone,

Buying my first BMW tomorrow, but I'm slightly nervous. [So I decided to join a forum that will likely reassure me, so I guess secretly I'm not worried about the purchase.] 🤣

Up until now, I've been drinking the Triumph kool-aid and honestly still love it. I own three currently. (18 Tiger 800, 22 Bobber, 22 ScramblerXE) However, with their lack of a decent long-haul touring bike, I am about to add a new brand to the garage.

During Covid, my wife and I dropped to having one car. After having two for the last 25 years. I'm looking to the R18 TC to act as a long-haul bike for my wife and me and as a casual ride to work 1-2 days a week when I need to carry camera gear, etc.

My wife is not a rider and has spent very little time as a pillion. One long weekend on an Indian Roadmaster, which she enjoyed, and maybe two times on my Tiger with hard luggage as a backrest. It should be said that I love her will all my heart, but she is particular. While she is not quite "The Princess and the Pea," she likes to be comfortable.

I rode the TC a few days ago without her and noticed that the top box shook at idle and have read about vibrations in the floorboards. Is this a genuine concern over others in this class? She has to be comfortable, but she also knows it's a motorcycle. She is not unrealistic in her expectations, but I may be. I want her to ride this with me. She said it would be fine, but $30k is a ton of bread. 😬

I'm debating with myself on the following issues (personal and bike-related)
  • Roadmaster
    • + fewer vibrations(???)
    • - less my style than the BMW
    • - air-cooled (live in Texas)
    • - limited availability right now
    • - no Adaptive Cruise
    • + apple car play
    • + wife has already ridden on one of these
  • Challenger Pursuit
    • - definitely less my style than the BMW
    • + liquid-cooled
    • - no Adaptive Cruise
    • + apple car play
  • Gold Wing
    • + liquid-cooled
    • - no Adaptive Cruise
    • + apple car play
    • + free coffee at Denny's (old man stigma)
    • + available right now
Any advice from TC owners and specifically those with pillions.
Tha

Hello Everyone,

Buying my first BMW tomorrow, but I'm slightly nervous. [So I decided to join a forum that will likely reassure me, so I guess secretly I'm not worried about the purchase.] 🤣

Up until now, I've been drinking the Triumph kool-aid and honestly still love it. I own three currently. (18 Tiger 800, 22 Bobber, 22 ScramblerXE) However, with their lack of a decent long-haul touring bike, I am about to add a new brand to the garage.

During Covid, my wife and I dropped to having one car. After having two for the last 25 years. I'm looking to the R18 TC to act as a long-haul bike for my wife and me and as a casual ride to work 1-2 days a week when I need to carry camera gear, etc.

My wife is not a rider and has spent very little time as a pillion. One long weekend on an Indian Roadmaster, which she enjoyed, and maybe two times on my Tiger with hard luggage as a backrest. It should be said that I love her will all my heart, but she is particular. While she is not quite "The Princess and the Pea," she likes to be comfortable.

I rode the TC a few days ago without her and noticed that the top box shook at idle and have read about vibrations in the floorboards. Is this a genuine concern over others in this class? She has to be comfortable, but she also knows it's a motorcycle. She is not unrealistic in her expectations, but I may be. I want her to ride this with me. She said it would be fine, but $30k is a ton of bread. 😬

I'm debating with myself on the following issues (personal and bike-related)
  • Roadmaster
    • + fewer vibrations(???)
    • - less my style than the BMW
    • - air-cooled (live in Texas)
    • - limited availability right now
    • - no Adaptive Cruise
    • + apple car play
    • + wife has already ridden on one of these
  • Challenger Pursuit
    • + liquid-cooled
    • - no Adaptive Cruise
    • + apple car play
  • Gold Wing
    • + liquid-cooled
    • - no Adaptive Cruise
    • + apple car play
    • + free coffee at Denny's (old man stigma)
    • + available right now
Any advice from TC owners and specifically those with pillions.
Thanks,
I took my ex-girlfriend for a decently long ride on my TC and she enjoyed it. BTW she hated riding on my Can Am Spyder F3T and my old 2018 GW manual. She always complained that my two old bikes were too smooth. By too smooth I think she meant boring? My TC is the first bike I've owned that I actually plan on putting some serious miles on in the upcoming years. The R18's have a certain character that I just find appealing.

The R18 Transcontinental is quite smooth at 2,500 rpm. Operate the bike between 2k rpm and 3k rpm and you will like it.

There is a noticeable reduction in "annoying" vibrations as you get a few thousand miles on her. Not implying this is a high RPM engine, but no need to limit it that tightly as while the engine is very happy down low, it also really pulls nicely well into the 4Ks. This is a very flexible platform whether it's moseying along on interstate travel or riding mountain switch backs where it provides more fun than one would imagine. Don't hesitate to let her stretch her legs a bit.

🍻🍻

Back