Hello! Thinking of the R18C for First Bike...

Hello guys, speaking of figure 8 it’s been a week I am trying every alternate days for couple of mins I would say half an hour in parking lot to make figure 8 in two car parking on R18C but it seems that is impossible to do on this bike may be I am doing something wrong 😑.

Hello guys, speaking of figure 8 it’s been a week I am trying every alternate days for couple of mins I would say half an hour in parking lot to make figure 8 in two car parking on R18C but it seems that is impossible to do on this bike may be I am doing something wrong 😑.
Well, in the UK two car park spaces is not a massive area and I much doubt you could do a figure of eight on a normal bike unless you are a pro, let alone a R18. Don’t push yourself too hard. How about starting on a bigger area, let’s say 4 car spaces and once you have mastered the technique then start pushing the envelope and reduce the area?

Lemme guess...you're scraping foot pegs, aren't you?

Yeah, our R18's aren't built for cornering, making them a terrible bike to bring to any MSF course.

It's probably the only pet peeve I have with the structure of the bike, as I don't recall ever scraping pegs on my old R1200c during spirited cornering.

Mike

Not at all, I am not leaning that much, it's a beast I would say never try to lean that much that you scrap pegs while making 8 other wise you will fall before even touching pegs to ground 😄😄

Not at all, I am not leaning that much, it's a beast I would say never try to lean that much that you scrap pegs while making 8 other wise you will fall before even touching pegs to ground 😄😄
I scraped my foot peg doing a left-handed turn onto the highway from an intersection...

Mike

Hey Folks,

Ken here from Austin, TX.

I don't have a lot of riding experience - rode dirt bikes for years as a kid as most of us did, I'm sure.

I completed the MSF course and feel like I did really well. I'd say I'm pretty comfortable on a bike (the Harley's we used in the MSF course were 500cc's) and didn't have any problems with low speed maneuvering, turns, U-turns, etc... and never dumped the bike. It was actually a blast!!

I was initially considering a Heritage Classic but then ran into the R18 looking at various alternatives. And of course, fell in love with this amazing machine.

I haven't been able to ride one yet - but curious what folks opinions are on this bike as a first bike? I'm 6' tall and 200lbs and in good shape. I have ridden a Heritage for a short ride in my neighborhood and didn't find it overly difficult to control...but didn't spend a lot of time in a parking lot doing low speed stuff...just went up and down the street a few times.

I've found a killer deal on a R18 Classic 719 package and am considering pulling the trigger...but thought I'd say hello and see if there was anyone else on here with a similar experience. Obviously, worried about practicing and possibly dumping the bike and making a mess...that would suck. If I did get it - I'd spend hours on non-busy streets in my neighborhood and in the parking lot at a school nearby practicing before getting out on the open road. I'd also consider getting the engine guards as well just for added protection just in case.

Anyway, thanks in advance!
Just take your time or she will bite you anybody can drive her at 70 do alot of town work in traffic to get your confidence up go on get it

Back