Help required: Program the replacement fob

sllmhjn

The physical key broke and separated from the the key fob. I placed an order for the replacement key with BMW who had it shipped and delivered to me in less than a week here in Australia. The problem with the replacement fob is that although the key works to lock and unlock the handlebar but the remote is not working with the security system, hence triggering the alarm every time I use the replacement key to unlock the handlebar.

Looking for help to configure the new fob to work with the alarm system.

i got spare keys for my r18s, figure thats the best way to never need them.. to pair a new key fob make sure other fob is not near the bike, hold the new key fob (from bmw for vin) under rear fender, in the indentation under seat area.. on r18/r18 tc... then hold the roundel button on the fob for several seconds.. as i recall, that may be all you have to do... (folks have reported being able to do this on top of the stock 2021 r18 seat.). hope this helps.

i got spare keys for my r18s, figure thats the best way to never need them.. to pair a new key fob make sure other fob is not near the bike, hold the new key fob (from bmw for vin) under rear fender, in the indentation under seat area.. on r18/r18 tc... then hold the roundel button on the fob for several seconds.. as i recall, that may be all you have to do... (folks have reported being able to do this on top of the stock 2021 r18 seat.). hope this helps.
This helped, mate. I successfully registered my replacement key after following your suggestion. Thanks heaps!!

Did you order the spare key directly from BMW or through a BMW dealer? Not that should make a difference but the last time I did so was through my dealer and maybe (just, maybe) he didn’t explicitly ask for the key to be activated?
Don’t even know that there’s such a thing.

Hi Scott,
The plastic key comes inside the fob, right?
If so have you taken it out of the fob and keep it in a sealed/closed jacket pocket or something?
My fear has alway been dropping the fob somewhere and then one would have been truly and utterly FUBAR.
Cheers

I actually have the First Edition R18 B; the key FOB looks like the gas tank and has a metal pop out key. Included is a separate plastic key which I believe can be inserted into the antenna array under the seat in the event I lose my FOB.

Thank you Scott.
I think what you are saying is that besides the fob, you also received a plastic key which can be used in the event of the fob getting lost or discharged. This plastic key does not come attached to the fob.
I have the same fob, I think we all have.
What I need to do is find out where on earth the plastic key is. I will need to check the documents pack in case it has been tucked there with the other bits and bob’s.

My plastic key was in the FE 'Welcome Box' in a little bag with a (useless) little screw driver ...
LOL.
Mine was not FE so all I got was a big invoice and a silly plastic sleeve with the manual in and some other info regarding the alarm and datatag, hence I need to check that in case the dealer decided to hide the key in there.

LOL.
Mine was not FE so all I got was a big invoice and a silly plastic sleeve with the manual in and some other info regarding the alarm and datatag, hence I need to check that in case the dealer decided to hide the key in there.
Yes do that ... plastic sleeve ... that is a better description ... :D

Thank you all for the information, what a great group! I talked to the dealership today and you are all correct-only one fob plus the emergency plastic POS...I was told by them to zip tie on the bike somewhere in case fob is lost. Obviously don't secure in the bags, if bags are locked with the fob you are screwed......Kevin Fitz aka cyclefitz

Back