Holan flat luggage rack for R18 Classic ?

Again see a continuation of this childish discussion at,

Holan's Concept Exhaust​

Thank you for the warning(s). I will take that in to consideration. If I choose to do business with Holan, which I likely will in this case, please respect that decision as mine to make, and give it a rest on my post. I appreciate your heartfelt warning, but will make up my own mind, and would rather not see the bickering over another item on my thread.

I own one. When I received it I found out that its 4 'rigging' holes didn't exactly fit my R18 Classic side case holes.
I wrote them several email (at least 3 times) about that issue and they never came back to me.
I needed that rack for my Summer road trip and decided to solve this myself. I straightened the bar with a hammer to make all holes fit well.
However, it's adding a bit of space between the side cases and the motorcycle. The screws are not long enough. Bought some longer ones at the drugstoren but it's not the exact same thread. So I went to my local BMW dealer and they've very gently given me 4 slightly longer screws (+1 cm) that rigs perfectly the whole thing.
The rack is quite solid. It's just that I had to use a hammer before mounting it :)
I hope this helps.
Cheers,

I own one. When I received it I found out that its 4 'rigging' holes didn't exactly fit my R18 Classic side case holes.
I wrote them several email (at least 3 times) about that issue and they never came back to me.
I needed that rack for my Summer road trip and decided to solve this myself. I straightened the bar with a hammer to make all holes fit well.
However, it's adding a bit of space between the side cases and the motorcycle. The screws are not long enough. Bought some longer ones at the drugstoren but it's not the exact same thread. So I went to my local BMW dealer and they've very gently given me 4 slightly longer screws (+1 cm) that rigs perfectly the whole thing.
The rack is quite solid. It's just that I had to use a hammer before mounting it :)
I hope this helps.
Cheers,
Thank you Marave. I spoke with Tomek at Holan and he said he would add 4 bolts 10mm longer to fit my BMW saddlebags that came with my Classic. It has been only a few days since it shipped. I am in the US so I expect it will take a bit before I see the rack. I'll update when I get it, and do the installation.

I had no trouble, for ordering and paying ,with Holan when buying my rack pictured on the first post.
I didn't have any trouble once I proceeded to checkout. I think the translation was a bit awkward and the E-Pay seemed different than what I am accustomed to. It was no different than on any other online commerce site. Tomek was very gracious and helpful - responding on here, and then by email, and private message on here. Hopefully shipping will be quick, and I'll have this installed in a few weeks or less.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210824-154116_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20210824-154116_Drive.jpg
    484 KB · Views: 43
My luggage rack arrived from Poland today. Right at 2 weeks. Looks pretty good. I'll post pics after I get it installed in the morning. R18Holan came through with no problem. Tomek was great to work with.

Luggage Rack install was pretty straightforward. Until I was done. On my R18 Classic-the factory bag lids rubbed against the rail of the luggage rack. I went to the hardware store and got chrome spacers in 1/2" and 1/8" thicknesses for a total of 5/8" (about 16mm for you metric folks out there) for each of the four mounting bolts. I had to get 70mm M8 socket head cap screws as well to complete the installation. With the thickness of the rack, this spaced the bags out roughly 3/4' (19mm) on each side wider than stock. The bike is so massive I don't think it is a problem. It will be even less apparent when my Corbin two up extra tall and extra wide seat and backrest get here ! I can't wait ! ! ! The last pic is a before pic.

Attachments

• IMG_1155.JPG
    IMG_1155.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1224.jpg
    IMG_1224.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1221.jpg
    IMG_1221.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1220.jpg
    IMG_1220.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1219.jpg
    IMG_1219.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1217.jpg
    IMG_1217.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1216.jpg
    IMG_1216.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1214.jpg
    IMG_1214.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1213.jpg
    IMG_1213.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1209.jpg
    IMG_1209.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Just a note for R18 Classic owners-the adapters you see for sale on Holan's site, and elsewhere will not fit R18 Classic with stock saddlebags without moving the turn signals and/or redesigning the bottom bag mount. The bottom of the bag will not clear the bottom bag mount, to let the bags be moved forward when trying to do that. If you try and reverse sides to move the bags back, the turn signals won't clear. These would likely work nicely on bags and mounts other than the stock BMW bags and mounts on a Classic.

Attachments

• luggage-adapter-for-r18.jpg
    luggage-adapter-for-r18.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 7
Luggage Rack install was pretty straightforward. Until I was done. On my R18 Classic-the factory bag lids rubbed against the rail of the luggage rack. I went to the hardware store and got chrome spacers in 1/2" and 1/8" thicknesses for a total of 5/8" (about 16mm for you metric folks out there) for each of the four mounting bolts. I had to get 70mm M8 socket head cap screws as well to complete the installation. With the thickness of the rack, this spaced the bags out roughly 3/4' (19mm) on each side wider than stock. The bike is so massive I don't think it is a problem. It will be even less apparent when my Corbin two up extra tall and extra wide seat and backrest get here ! I can't wait ! ! ! The last pic is a before pic.
Great review,thank you.
And thanks for the added note on the turnsignals.

Hi all,
see my thread on an alternative installation, in combination with my quick release mod for the saddle bags...

R18 Classic saddle bag mounting mod​

have fun

Within a few days (we are finishing the prototype) I will try to show you the solution of mounting the bag on the rack as in the movie with the R9T ( movie ). The mounting system will allow you to fasten almost any type of bag and luggage. It will be a combination of 3 elements: INNOV flat rack for R18 + INNOV mounting kit for bag + bag or other luggage with a flattened bottom

Within a few days (we are finishing the prototype) I will try to show you the solution of mounting the bag on the rack as in the movie with the R9T ( movie ). The mounting system will allow you to fasten almost any type of bag and luggage. It will be a combination of 3 elements: INNOV flat rack for R18 + INNOV mounting kit for bag + bag or other luggage with a flattened bottom
the mounting kit for a bag sounds interresting... you have my address... ;) ;)

Today our design department introduced a new innovative rack for the R18. The Heritage rack has several faces - despite the classic look and small size, it allows you to transport a large bag and the assembly itself takes only a short time. The time of using luggage straps to mount the bag on racks has come to an end
😉
An additional nod towards the user is the possibility of using a decorative chrome rack cover after removing the bag - more details will be written on Tuesday and meanwhile we encourage you to watch the movie

IMG_9546.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9555.jpeg
    IMG_9555.jpeg
    316.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9547.jpeg
    IMG_9547.jpeg
    295.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9558.jpeg
    IMG_9558.jpeg
    299.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_9538.jpeg
    IMG_9538.jpeg
    230 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9544.jpeg
    IMG_9544.jpeg
    221.5 KB · Views: 23
Today our design department introduced a new innovative rack for the R18. The Heritage rack has several faces - despite the classic look and small size, it allows you to transport a large bag and the assembly itself takes only a short time. The time of using luggage straps to mount the bag on racks has come to an end
😉
An additional nod towards the user is the possibility of using a decorative chrome rack cover after removing the bag - more details will be written on Tuesday and meanwhile we encourage you to watch the movie

View attachment 3041
I would be very interested in the rack.

Back