Hommage seat but now saddlebags are ugly ;)

alticam

I will probably go for the hommage seat and I already removed the pillon seat.

But now I do not like the original saddle bags on my R18 classic no more.

I did wonder around but did not find a good alternative.

Do you know a good and stylish alternative? I like it better without but
  1. Then I need to change fender too
  2. I need some bags
Any ideas welcome :)

Roger

Nice examples of saddlebags from R18Holan prompted the following idea. I use BMW OEM saddlebags, which I understand are made by SW Motech. SW Motech sells adapter plates for SLC mount (used by BMW):

It can apparently be attached to any suitable bag or even to a canister - as on one of the pictures above - using straps / etc. This might be an interesting universal solution, will try it

for R18 I adopted the rule: do not add any more plastic ;) Replace existing plastic with metal, refine this motorcycle

ps. and the solution you showed does not have a key lock, unauthorized hands can take off your luggage in 1 second

Last edited:
for R18 I adopted the rule: do not add any more plastic ;) Replace existing plastic with metal, refine this motorcycle

ps. and the solution you showed does not have a key lock, unauthorized hands can take off your luggage in 1 second
have to check it, had no idea you can take it off like that

Yes, I know this. I am taking my BMW saddlebag with me when I leave the motorcycle in unsafe places

They do lock

if you have a smart system, you can mount whatever you want ;)
Hi R18Holan.
I have the narrow QR rack and have been trying to purchase the adapter plate, similar to the one you use on the duffel bag in the first video clip you posted (I have the same bag).
I have sent emails but I'm not getting much of a response.
If you could help I would be grateful.
Thanks.

Hi R18Holan.
I have the narrow QR rack and have been trying to purchase the adapter plate, similar to the one you use on the duffel bag in the first video clip you posted (I have the same bag).
I have sent emails but I'm not getting much of a response.
If you could help I would be grateful.
Thanks.
I was waiting for you to give the dimensions of the plate you want and whether the plate stiffening the bottom is to be keyed (more expensive) or without locking (cheaper)

Nice examples of saddlebags from R18Holan prompted the following idea. I use BMW OEM saddlebags, which I understand are made by SW Motech. SW Motech sells adapter plates for SLC mount (used by BMW):

[/URL]

It can apparently be attached to any suitable bag or even to a canister - as on one of the pictures above - using straps / etc. This might be an interesting universal solution, will try it

I actually did it.

I bought the SW Motech adapter plate for SLC mount (GBP 30) and the Rains Travel Bag Small (GBP 200).

The choice of a bag was guided by the fact that this model is waterproof + the back side is reinforced, and the retractable handles work as a frame - providing additional stability at speed (see photo). It is also lightweight.

It took 30 minutes to assemble and it worked just fine. Fits BMW bracket seamlessly and is absolutely stable at speed.

Since I installed the luggage mounting bracket only on the left (so as not to spoil the appearance of the bike), I was looking for a solution to fit a larger bag in there than the standard 17 liter BMW bag. This one provides 40-45 liters of storage, which should be enough for a week-long trip, planned for May.

Attachments

• IMG_0055.jpg
    IMG_0055.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0056.jpg
    IMG_0056.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0057.jpg
    IMG_0057.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0058.jpg
    IMG_0058.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Nice job. That adapter plate really opens up the luggage possibilities.
I also noticed the extension plate on the kick stand. Can you post the details please?
Thanks.

I actually did it.

I bought the SW Motech adapter plate for SLC mount (GBP 30) and the Rains Travel Bag Small (GBP 200).

The choice of a bag was guided by the fact that this model is waterproof + the back side is reinforced, and the retractable handles work as a frame - providing additional stability at speed (see photo). It is also lightweight.

It took 30 minutes to assemble and it worked just fine. Fits BMW bracket seamlessly and is absolutely stable at speed.

Since I installed the luggage mounting bracket only on the left (so as not to spoil the appearance of the bike), I was looking for a solution to fit a larger bag in there than the standard 17 liter BMW bag. This one provides 40-45 liters of storage, which should be enough for a week-long trip, planned for May.
Did not recall if that is a stock color R18, very sweet color. So thinking one needs to buy the R18 left side stock saddle bag bracket, ggbp30 and gbp200. Any worry about damage to bottom of bag due to vibrations? Would think that would wear on any thing placed on the 'luggage mounting' bracket.
Only other thing that would concern me is the look/'style' of the since it shows two wheels at the end of it. Understand the purpose just, to me, detracts a bit from the look as far a a bag on a bike goes. Though function of form is reason so understand the need for it.

Ok, now I am confused...does not take much some times.
I see this item on their site https://sw-motech.us/bike/BMW/R18/2021/products/luggage/SysBags/SysBag/4052572049563.htm
Photo is right side though page is for left side I believe.
Is this somehow supposed to click onto the stock base R18 bag mounting plate? It happens to be on sale for the plate and the bag though as I viewed it I was wonder if putting the bag on the right side would make it easier to load/unload things out of it.

Ok, guessing I have this wrong and item below will not work on an R18 nor the adapter plate connect to the stock R18 bag mount. Besides, would look pretty back when bag was taken off I bet.
Thank you
1680289121662.png

Nice job. That adapter plate really opens up the luggage possibilities.
I also noticed the extension plate on the kick stand. Can you post the details please?
Thanks.

Thank you. The pad under the stand is just a floor pad, not an extension of the stand. I'm embarrassed to admit that this is a Harley Stand Coaster, the last piece of HD equipment left over from the HD days)

Did not recall if that is a stock color R18, very sweet color. So thinking one needs to buy the R18 left side stock saddle bag bracket, ggbp30 and gbp200. Any worry about damage to bottom of bag due to vibrations? Would think that would wear on any thing placed on the 'luggage mounting' bracket.
Only other thing that would concern me is the look/'style' of the since it shows two wheels at the end of it. Understand the purpose just, to me, detracts a bit from the look as far a a bag on a bike goes. Though function of form is reason so understand the need for it.

Re the color, this is one of those "special edition" 18 FE bikes that have been repainted new by BMW UK. “Skyscraper Grey”, one of BMW's classic colors, I don't understand why BMW doesn't offer it as a standard option as it looks good on the R18.

As for the possible damage to the bag by the mounting bracket - this, fortunately, is not a risk. In the last photo, you can see that the bag is attached using a special "quick release system", the same as on the original BMW saddlebags, so the bag itself does not touch the bracket.

Re the look - this is obviously a long-trip option, for everyday use I use BMW OEM saddlebag, which is much smaller, hence the need for DIY. Having said that, the bag actually looks good on the bike in my opinion, you don't really notice the wheels in real life, it's just a photo effect - the things that are closer to you looks bigger

Back