Honda Goldwing

Haven’t been on site for a while as I’ve seemingly gone and done it! 🤣 I recently picked up a previously enjoyed ‘18 non Tour DCT that had the trunk added.

OK; I will be more controversial. The transcontinental is a big bloated bagger and I wouldn't want one for free. I love the R18 as a pure retro bike and I can ride it the same as a TC. I'm just not a fan.

I wouldn't want a Harley touring bike if they were free; it is a big bloated bagger.

The K16 touring bikes are not bloated, the Gold wing... samey same... they are simply the gold standard in luxury touring.

Now, I don't want to sound like a zealot but its hard to serve two masters. I ride a GS as a touring bike because I am an all roads rider. But

If you are actually going to travel on a motorcycle, like really travel over 2-3 thousand miles on roads, forget all that aesthetic Harley/BMW cruiser nonsense and get the worlds best travel bike. And make no mistake The Gold wing and the big K16 touring bikes make anything from Harley look like a medieval oxcart. They make the transcontinental look like a Medieval oxcart.

You can easily travel 1000 miles a day on a Wing or K16b and be there for a late supper. The thing is are you going to serve aesthetics or ride? I do both. I love Harley cruisers but only ones that look like motorcycles and go like stink (my Harley is a 124 bored Dyna with custom front and rear suspension) I used to love BMWs until I got my R18 and had problems they wouldnt fix timely but still have my GS and I love the real retro feel of my R18 First edition.

When we stopped at the dealer in Daytona to look at the TC, they also had a Goldwing there somebody had traded in. Asked the wife to sit on it and give it a go - as soon as she started to get on it the bodywork creaked and cracked. Much more than the old 98 Goldwing I had which never made a sound. In looking closer, the bodywork just seemed.......cheaper and more flimsy. Maybe that is part of how they trimmed off so much weight. In any event, that made us pass, and sure am glad we did. I'm sure the drivetrain and the technology are advanced, but it just didnt work for us.

Ah I'm sure that title sparked reaction. After buying a 2022 Transcontinental I had planned and asked the dealer to buy the 2022 Grand America wanting both in my garage. Having a less than pleasurable experience from the dealer I thought it might be in my best interest to look around and consider options. . Having been a Harley rider for 40 years never in a million years would I ever consider a Goldwing. Well my wife and I just left the Honda shop and I'm not sure what there isn't to love in the new 2022 Goldwing Tour DCT? We Harley riders always made fun of Goldwing riders so me considering it surprises me too. I don't see the Transcontinental being a cross country bike for me as no way to stretch the legs hence the want/ need for a smooth long distance tourer. I'll keep the TC as well because it's fun for the first 200 miles but by spring will have either the Grand America or Goldwing.
rumors have it the Goldwing will be gone soon, along with all their Inline for cylinder bikes.....

Having had both and ridden long distances extensively, the gold wing and the k1600 are the ultimate touring bikes out there. V twins of any make and the r18 work, and they have a cool vibe. But for outright comfort, handling and performance for serious long distance two up travel the Wing and the k16 are very tall heads and shoulders above anything else.

Edit. For ref I am talking about touring with 5-700 mile days on end. If you are only riding a few hun a day. None of this matters.

Last edited:
I sold my red 2018 GoldWing Tour bike in less than a year because:
1) Handle bars required a lean forward position.
2) Feet could not move forward due to three (3) cylinders in front of each foot.
3) Maintenance was super expensive, i.e air filter replacement was a 90 minute job if done by a service tech. It was located in what is known as “the Honda Hell hole”.
4) This bike idles at 2,000 rpm for 5 minutes after startup. Service tech said Honda wanted to get the bike to operating temp quickly. Think about it. High idle when it’s below freezing on start up will score the cylinder walls.

I will admit that the GoldWing has the smoothest drivetrain/transmission of any bike on earth. Zero vibration. You can literally shift into any gear at any rpm. No clunk just the slightest click.

Ah I'm sure that title sparked reaction. After buying a 2022 Transcontinental I had planned and asked the dealer to buy the 2022 Grand America wanting both in my garage. Having a less than pleasurable experience from the dealer I thought it might be in my best interest to look around and consider options. . Having been a Harley rider for 40 years never in a million years would I ever consider a Goldwing. Well my wife and I just left the Honda shop and I'm not sure what there isn't to love in the new 2022 Goldwing Tour DCT? We Harley riders always made fun of Goldwing riders so me considering it surprises me too. I don't see the Transcontinental being a cross country bike for me as no way to stretch the legs hence the want/ need for a smooth long distance tourer. I'll keep the TC as well because it's fun for the first 200 miles but by spring will have either the Grand America or Goldwing.
The Goldwing is a great bike. I owned a 2018 Tour manual. I must admit that I would pick the TC over the Wing as the TC just has more character and looks so much better in my opinion. The Wings controls and features are easier and safer to access; Apple Carplay,Android Auto and built in Nav with no need to use an app. But just wait until you have to work on that Goldwing!😭 I do miss the ease of just pushing buttons to turn on the heated grips or seat on the Wing. I ride solo; but with no passenger armrest option or grab rails on the TC I could see a passenger preferring the rear of the Goldwing over the TC. If you do choose the Goldwing, send that ecu out and have Guhl flash, it...........turned it into an 830lb sport bike. There are no bad touring bikes out there so the decision is going to be a difficult one. Don't forget that the K1600 has 160 hp!!!!!🤯

I had a manual 2021 GW non tour last summer, I had always wanted one, opportunity presented itself so I took the plunge. Well I no longer have it. It was many things, smooth, powerful, really comfortable but it didn’t really wow me like I expected. Like I had hoped a £22k bike would. As others have commented, it was very ‘plasticy’ and flimsy feeling, although I didn’t have it long I had it long enough to decide it wasn’t a keeper. I think the weight saving had robbed it of some of that premium flagship feel I was looking for. Owners do service them themselves (many do not trust Honda dealers BTW sad but true) and it’s also true the air filter swap alone is an absolute pig of a job and 6-8 hours to complete is often quoted on the GW forums. Dozens and dozens of little tiny plastic push pins and snap fittings. I guess every bike has its downsides. My long time Honda dealer went over to Yamaha a couple of months ago and other Honda dealers have gone too around me in recent times so I felt a bit uneasy having such a tech plastered bike moving forward. Nevertheless, all that being said. If you want to cover serious miles on motorways or whatever the only way to better a GW would be to take the car. Probably.

I had a manual 2021 GW non tour last summer, I had always wanted one, opportunity presented itself so I took the plunge. Well I no longer have it. It was many things, smooth, powerful, really comfortable but it didn’t really wow me like I expected. Like I had hoped a £22k bike would. As others have commented, it was very ‘plasticy’ and flimsy feeling, although I didn’t have it long I had it long enough to decide it wasn’t a keeper. I think the weight saving had robbed it of some of that premium flagship feel I was looking for. Owners do service them themselves (many do not trust Honda dealers BTW sad but true) and it’s also true the air filter swap alone is an absolute pig of a job and 6-8 hours to complete is often quoted on the GW forums. Dozens and dozens of little tiny plastic push pins and snap fittings. I guess every bike has its downsides. My long time Honda dealer went over to Yamaha a couple of months ago and other Honda dealers have gone too around me in recent times so I felt a bit uneasy having such a tech plastered bike moving forward. Nevertheless, all that being said. If you want to cover serious miles on motorways or whatever the only way to better a GW would be to take the car. Probably.
Don't know if I said this in a earlier post but I did end up getting a 2022 Goldwing DCT Tour which now has about 2600 miles on it. You are correct lots of plastic. The bad news lots of plastic the good news lots of plastic. During service the dealer put some scratches in the side of the fairing. On my Harley that would have been thousands to fix, the Goldwing a $200 plastic panel. It takes an hour for me to wash and wipe either the Harley or the TC ( lots of sheet metal and chrome) . It takes a few minutes to wash and wipe the Goldwing because everything is covered with plastic panels. Everywhere I go groups ogle over the Transcontinental , I show up on the Wing I'm told to park in the back.

Back