How Much for Full Insurance 2021 R18 (on a yearly bases)

Calboy

How much are you guys paying for full insurance? I'd like to hear it from California residents first and foremost, but anybody else please feel free to enlighten me.
Interested to hear what your premium(s) is like even if you have two bikes insured with the same company.
I think I'm being taken for a ride and I don't like it, especially when I'm supposed to be in good hands with.... you know what I'm talking about.

I am in San Diego. over 30 years driving car/motorcycles no tix/accidents. The 2021 BMW R18 is $449.96 a year. With USAA. I found it to be about $170 higher than my Honda CB1000R when it needed full coverage. I am thinking it is because it is a BMW. I wished I had called and asked before buying. I also have a house insured with them. They tell me I get a better rate. Who knows.

Without a doubt insurance cost more. The service at the BMW Dealership is a lot more than other bikes. Requires premium fuel. For us, lucking Californians is about $5 a gallon. I like driving the R18 on a Sunday with open roads. Will take her out tomorrow. But for dally city traffic and crossing the border, I love my CB1000R. she cant be beat.

There is a guy on here who hit a dear with his bike and slid into a ditch. The bike was fine and I think he said he was able to ride it home however, the cosmetic damage was expensive enough to right the bike off. Perhaps it is the ridiculous cost of spares that makes the bike so expensive to insure. Here in the UK I think my insurance was less than half of what you are paying with a similar history.

I'm in NC and down to one bike, but with all my recent bikes (I ride something different each year or so, (15,000-20,000 miles annually, S1000XR, R1200GSA, R1200RT, 850GS, R18), have been within $15.00 a month +/- from each other with the R18 at the high end of approximately $350.00 a year. I am in the "best" rate demographic, live in a very rural/low claims area, etc., etc.

I have different companies for our vehicles and our properties. I have been doing this for years now after the "good hands" I had been with forever tried to push huge increases through when nothing had changed that we could identify as a justification. Like gas, food and everything else, we are seeing large inflation hits on insurance too, so I would call and go online for quotes as we verify annually that our coverage costs are competitive and it's interesting how varied quotes can be.

My guess is engine size is more a factor with your current insurer rather some other factors they may weigh differently, but they all use so many variables in their assessments one guess may be as good or bad as another.

Good luck!

Last edited:
One of my core memories as a child was a televised interview with a gentleman in Georgia who lost everything to Hurricane Frederic. He's standing there in front of what was his home and, with southern drawl, he says "You're in good hands my butt." 😂 I shouldn't laugh but it really has kept me from going with Allstate.

Let's see...State Farm, $550/yr. About the same as my other two bikes combined. I was with American Family briefly and it was the same (within $10 or so). Lotsa deer and booze here in western Wisconsin.

I don't know how much it would be to have insurance on just a R18, but adding it to my current bikes only added $180 a year to my insurance. That's about the same bump as my Triumph Speed Twin and much less than I was quoted to add a Indian Chief when I was shopping.

R18 Classic FE with full coverage, 500 deductible in Westchester, NY is just under $800/year with Dairyland. Definitely the most expensive of my bikes... about double the sport bike. No accidents or tickets, 48 years old. My gut is the cost is high because it's a new model with no established history of claims, large engine capacity and a high MSRP.

$175 but then in the U.S. I have 3 bikes, 2 cars, 2 houses and an airplane all insured with the same company, 3 deer strikes in the last 20 years.

Back