How often do you ride your R18 in the city? and tips and tricks for city riding? do you dare split lanes? How is the R18 for city riding?

How often do you ride your R18 in the city? and tips and tricks for city riding? do you dare split lanes? I don't own an R18 but I am interested in one. I know its not made for city riding but if you have to ride in the city how does it go? what bothers you the most? Do the vibrations get annoying in the city sense you aren't above 2000 rpm and it hasn't smoothed out?

I split lanes in SoCal regularly up to about 40mph. The handlebars are the widest point. It is statistically safer than staying in the lane and getting "ass holed" by a distracted driver. See article below.

Last edited:
I split lanes in SoCal regularly up to about 40mph. The handlebars are the widest point. It is statistically safer than staying in the lane and getting "ass holed" by a distracted driver.
Split lanes and get annoyed when a motorist is in "your lane"???
Morons on motorcycles.

How often do you ride your R18 in the city?
Every time I ride. Start in city, ride to country, ride in country, return to city.

any tips and tricks for city riding?
Same as country riding but less deer.

do you dare split lanes?
Not legal where I live and probably wouldn’t anyhow regardless of which motorcycle I was riding.

I don't own an R18 but I am interested in one.
Good stuff

I know its not made for city riding
?????

but if you have to ride in the city how does it go?
It’s easier to ride in the city than my Ducati (cafe) or my Guzzi (old). Great brakes. Smooth acceleration. Plenty of presence. Not too hot. Not too loud. Easy to maneuver even at slow speeds.

what bothers you the most?
If you mean about city riding, you’re way off base. It’s not onerous at all. If I had to pick one thing…hmmmm….the hill start control, if engaged, can be a bit surprising. Rev, rev, REV, what the? And we’re off!

Do the vibrations get annoying in the city sense you aren't above 2000 rpm and it hasn't smoothed out?
It’s smooth and extremely linear all the way to about 85mph. A lot like a Honda CB

I’m thinking you ought to go for an extended test ride. Tell the dealership you’ll need it for a few hours. They’re not selling quickly enough for them to say no. And ride it to all your usual haunts. Hit the coffee shop and the pizza place and then stop at Steve’s house and go get a donut. It’s a very easy bike to ride.

Last edited:
When in the city I switch to ROLL mode as it idles smoother and works better for me. Plan your U turns carefully as you need more space. Watch the speed bumps as the ground clearance is limited.

I live in Bangkok so heavy traffic city is a no for my R18 classic, wide handle bar and big engine make it hard to maneuver around and lane splitting, trust me my Big K16 Grand America is easier to goes around traffic more than this Big boxer.

I would probably be interested in a used r18 just because I assume I could get the best deal that way.

in this video I can't recall the exact timestamp but the tour guide says that rock is for going up the mountains, up hill essentially. and that roll mode is for rolling down the mountains because of engine breaking. Is there any truth to this? do you guys switch modes in this manner when going up hill for a stretch or downhill for a stretch. this video is the only time i've seen the modes explained like this.

I would probably be interested in a used r18 just because I assume I could get the best deal that way.

in this video I can't recall the exact timestamp but the tour guide says that rock is for going up the mountains, up hill essentially. and that roll mode is for rolling down the mountains because of engine breaking. Is there any truth to this? do you guys switch modes in this manner when going up hill for a stretch or downhill for a stretch. this video is the only time i've seen the modes explained like this.

Short answer: no.

I ride regularly in downtown DC and Baltimore. No problem at all. Really, it's nice and stable. I don't lane split (or even filter for that matter). It's not legal here. I wouldn't even if I could though. It's a function of where you grew up riding I guess.

The only "issue" that I have is with super low-speed handling. I pride myself on low-speed maneuvering, but I find myself using my feet more often than I would on any other bike, getting into / out of parking or tight u-turns. For whatever reason (on my classic at least) it seems to require more counter-steer than any other bike that I have ridden at slow speeds...and maybe that's what throws me off. That's no more of an issue with city riding than it is anywhere else though.

Back