I gave it a flogging

David R

I went to a Chrome Head Tech day. They change tires, install electrical things, sleep outside, and have a good time. These folks have been around since the first chrome head came out. There were a few CLC 1200 and other versions. I have been to these tech days before, so I thought I HAD to go since I had the newest chrome head.

SO, we were going for a ride around Conesus lake. WHAT A RIDE. The fella leading knew all the good roads and how to ride them. He was on an FJ1200. For about 1/2 hour, I was mostly in second gear, a few times third. I hit the rev limiter quite a few times. I dragged pegs, did Hole shots and rode through the twisties following this FJ1200. What a ride! I would pay to do that again. The bike ran perfect and did what I wanted it to. He pulled away from me once and I did not realize it, so I caught up, close to hitting the rev limiter in 4th.

The vibration every one is talking about is no big deal, Its almost nothing unless the engine is working like crazy, then its not vibration its power pulses. Try it, cruise for a while in 4th @ 60 mph. The engine is spinning, but not complaining.

Later that day I did notice getting on a thruway ramp, in second, I could feel the power fading away before it hit top RPM. So shifting at 5,000 would be OK and maybe more productive for me.

Today wife and I went around Cayuga lake, about a 250 mile ride in the beautiful sun shine.

David

its always interesting riding with the sport bike crowd. Some might question the wisdom of trying to keep up to a ZX14 through the curves on an 800 lb. “Hoss”. I’ve found that setting the suspension preload up to 18 turns and shifting at 4000 - 4500 allows the old girl to do a surprisingly good job through the twisties.
C5FD4688-CB87-4EBF-8484-AA3F67AB4BFC.jpeg

its always interesting riding with the sport bike crowd. Some might question the wisdom of trying to keep up to a ZX14 through the curves on an 800 lb. “Hoss”. I’ve found that setting the suspension preload up to 18 turns and shifting at 4000 - 4500 allows the old girl to do a surprisingly good job through the twisties.
View attachment 1831

Lets see someone on a Harley Big Twin or Indian Thunderstroke try hanging with a Kaw ZX14 or Hyabusa on a twisty road. HAH!

I have led many rides. I remember a Big V twin being up my ass for the full ride. No matter what I did, I could not shake him.
At the time I was on an R1100RT.
For the whole ride all I could see in my mirror were those 3 headlights. Some know how to ride.
We were on Bishopville road in Angelica. Its about a 45 minute loop.

"I like it when you lead, you go fast in the corners and slow in the straights"

Handles much better than my gold wing in the twisties and in the city.
Its got a lot more balls too!

David

Back