I gave up motorcycles years ago - Am I crazy to think about riding again?

Sounds like we went to different schools together ;) After almost 60 years of riding all shapes and sizes of motorcycles both on and off road (with some top shelf training throughout), I'm loving the pure fun of the R18 Classic, but each of the variants are beautiful and offer their own unique twist on the platform.

I'm only a couple inches taller with a stumpy legs inseam of 30""and I'm a few birthdays behind you. I haven't endured the same surgeries and while we all recover/age differently I empathize as just a few years ago an oil truck used me and my GS to stop at a red light rather it's brakes. I now much more appreciate the old axiom of "do not fold, spindle or mutilate"... The loss of strength and range of motion is common with higher birthday counts, but as I told my very supportive wife, "I didn't need this kind of help speeding up the process" :ROFLMAO:. Bottom line, I was able to ride after a year and went through a GS, a KTM Adventure and a RT on a quest for the best ergonomic compromise "Goldilocks" bike. I attended BMW Rider's Training and was able to ride models back to back. My very short list was to get another GS, R9T or the outlier R18 that I was totally smitten with. Fast forward, I practice my low speed, tight quarter drills routinely on the R18 and find it very easy to handle even on the slowest, full lock U-turns, etc., and it is very easy to lift up off the side stand if you turn the bars all the way to the right/ throttle closest to the gas tank and simply push up against the tank and seat area while straightening your left leg (seriously easy/minimal effort). I've never used my reverse other than to see that it worked, but I do take care where and how I park. If it were to take a dirt nap, I'm sure a helping hand would be very welcome even if using the right lifting technique. They're easy to get on and off of, very comfortable even for extended touring with an upgraded seat and easy to maintain and just beautiful to look at. Just an excellent mix of old school feel, modern tech, good handling and excellent fit and finish, what's not to love?

A couple things to keep in mind when shopping is the very early FE models did not offer cruise control if that is something you like to have and it is very cost prohibitive to add it (search posts on the forum if more details are desired) and the Classic, FE/R18/100 YEARS traditional spoke rims are tube required. The various newer models have cast rims available at little or no costs and as with cruise control are very costly to change out after the fact if tubes are not high on your list of "benefits". The rear shock on the various models is different with the "B"/Bagger and "TC"/Transcontinental having electronic rear shock control and all other models using a manual adjustment shock. It takes about 30 seconds to access the adjuster on the non electric shock models and there are posts on the forum offering good explanations with photos on how easy it is to set things to your weight and the benefit is a much better ride in both comfort and handling.

Best of luck, it's test ride time!!

Sounds like we went to different schools together ;) After almost 60 years of riding all shapes and sizes of motorcycles both on and off road (with some top shelf training throughout), I'm loving the pure fun of the R18 Classic, but each of the variants are beautiful and offer their own unique twist on the platform.

I'm only a couple inches taller with a stumpy legs inseam of 30""and I'm a few birthdays behind you. I haven't endured the same surgeries and while we all recover/age differently I empathize as just a few years ago an oil truck used me and my GS to stop at a red light rather it's brakes. I now much more appreciate the old axiom of "do not fold, spindle or mutilate"... The loss of strength and range of motion is common with higher birthday counts, but as I told my very supportive wife, "I didn't need this kind of help speeding up the process" :ROFLMAO:. Bottom line, I was able to ride after a year and went through a GS, a KTM Adventure and a RT on a quest for the best ergonomic compromise "Goldilocks" bike. I attended BMW Rider's Training and was able to ride models back to back. My very short list was to get another GS, R9T or the outlier R18 that I was totally smitten with. Fast forward, I practice my low speed, tight quarter drills routinely on the R18 and find it very easy to handle even on the slowest, full lock U-turns, etc., and it is very easy to lift up off the side stand if you turn the bars all the way to the right/ throttle closest to the gas tank and simply push up against the tank and seat area while straightening your left leg (seriously easy/minimal effort). I've never used my reverse other than to see that it worked, but I do take care where and how I park. If it were to take a dirt nap, I'm sure a helping hand would be very welcome even if using the right lifting technique. They're easy to get on and off of, very comfortable even for extended touring with an upgraded seat and easy to maintain and just beautiful to look at. Just an excellent mix of old school feel, modern tech, good handling and excellent fit and finish, what's not to love?

A couple things to keep in mind when shopping is the very early FE models did not offer cruise control if that is something you like to have and it is very cost prohibitive to add it (search posts on the forum if more details are desired) and the Classic, FE/R18/100 YEARS traditional spoke rims are tube required. The various newer models have cast rims available at little or no costs and as with cruise control are very costly to change out after the fact if tubes are not high on your list of "benefits". The rear shock on the various models is different with the "B"/Bagger and "TC"/Transcontinental having electronic rear shock control and all other models using a manual adjustment shock. It takes about 30 seconds to access the adjuster on the non electric shock models and there are posts on the forum offering good explanations with photos on how easy it is to set things to your weight and the benefit is a much better ride in both comfort and handling.

Best of luck, it's test ride time!!
Excellent writing piece BobW👏👏👏👏👏

I didn’t say nor mean to imply the risks of all activities are at the same level of risk. What I was Saying is nothing we do is without risk and you can get injured even doing mundane tasks. In example tripping and falling down a flight of stairs. You can also manage risks, on every task including riding a motorcycle in example lowering your speed navigating Curses slower riding in areas with less traffic, of course that is not an inclusive list.

i was interested in your thread because I have had the same internal struggle and probably will many times in the future. What has always helped me is realizing I run the risk of injury no matter what I do and the only way to be completely safe is to do nothing. i don’t want to waste what precious time I have left avoiding the things I love because I could get hurt. Honestly for me and I am sure it is different for others, if I am killed riding a motorcycle, I am absolutely certain everyone will say he died doing what he loved. Some time ago I purchased a picture that and mounted it in my man cave that emulates my thoughts.

View attachment 12780

View attachment 12781
Holy S%#T !!!! NICE!!!!!

R2K,

You would think with such a bad ass collection you would clean em up a bit!! Under 10,000 magnification I think I see a dust mote that wormed it's way in once you opened the garage door!!
Can't have that, and you know better!! Gotta say your taste level is impressive as hell. Normally I like more stripped down Bobber bikes, less is more, but your set ups are at the threshold of fantastic without going over the cliff...
Your retro Beemers are killer. I had the bug for one a few years ago. There is a shop here in LA ( Blackcat motors) I think it was that dealt ONLY in vintage BMWs. The guy had maybe 100 or more. The one I wanted was 25k after crunching him, and that was not by far his best bike. I already had two bikes and the misery chart with the wife had run out of room...so I passed.
But, when I went to a dealer here and sold my mint 2014R9T to them, I was standing around waithing for the check and saw a poster of the 23 Anniversary model with the retro chromed insert tank, et.et. pretty stripped down and asked if they had one. They got two all year and had one still in the crate....had to have it....
So in a sense, that make you an accomplice!!!

R2K,

You would think with such a bad ass collection you would clean em up a bit!! Under 10,000 magnification I think I see a dust mote that wormed it's way in once you opened the garage door!!
Can't have that, and you know better!! Gotta say your taste level is impressive as hell. Normally I like more stripped down Bobber bikes, less is more, but your set ups are at the threshold of fantastic without going over the cliff...
Your retro Beemers are killer. I had the bug for one a few years ago. There is a shop here in LA ( Blackcat motors) I think it was that dealt ONLY in vintage BMWs. The guy had maybe 100 or more. The one I wanted was 25k after crunching him, and that was not by far his best bike. I already had two bikes and the misery chart with the wife had run out of room...so I passed.
But, when I went to a dealer here and sold my mint 2014R9T to them, I was standing around waithing for the check and saw a poster of the 23 Anniversary model with the retro chromed insert tank, et.et. pretty stripped down and asked if they had one. They got two all year and had one still in the crate....had to have it....
So in a sense, that make you an accomplice!!!
You have expanded the dimensions of my comprehensions, I had to look up dust mote while consumed with anxiety over one of my bikes being dirty! lol! I am honored and filled with pride pleasure and satisfaction to be an accomplice to someone with enough fine taste to acquire such a beautiful bike as the 23 Anniversary model. I am a bit envious it is such a unique limited edition bike. I thought about possibly going for one trading in FE but I love what I did with mine and I have grown attached to it. Congratulations on your (our) new R18. Thank you for the compliments they are appreciated.

At some point in my life, I jumped off of the two DUCATI bikes, and onto a GS Adventure as I felt my age catching up with me. More recently, now in my mid 50s; I wanted something a little lower and had all of the creature-comforts (heated seat & grips, navigation, sound system, wind protection and MOST IMPORTANTLY - two flat feet on the ground).

My next bike was going to either be the HD Road Glide ST or Street Glide ST; that was, until I saw the R18 B.

I hope I'm still active enough in my seventies and beyond, that I'm still able to do the things I love to do; I definitely see myself riding my R18 B on lazy weekends... and will most likely pass it down to one of my boys, like an old classic car when it becomes too much for me to ride..

For what it's worth.. my wife is still waiting for me to get out of my "forever 17" mindset.. 😂
😂🤣 at mid 50’s, you are still 17 Scott!! When I turned 70 I watch this kid ride a OneWheel on the parking lot while I was enjoying dinner with my retired friends. He looked like he was surfing on pavement going about 17mph. I had a big smile on my face when my friends said no I didn’t one!! After a year of riding the OneWheel on a single go kart racing tire, I gave it to my 34 year old son. I got a 2022 R18 because it’s safer😄

I keep telling my wife I want a onewheel :D At 56 after reading this I guess I need to go ahead and get one now :D
I keep telling my wife I want a onewheel :D At 56 after reading this I guess I need to go ahead and get one now :D
At 72 plus, I got one and had a blast with it. I surfed in Hawaii, slalom water ski, and later snow skied. Balance was good but no as responsive at 70plus. One saying w the OneWheel is it is not a matter of if you fall, you WILL fall!! I have fallen and thank God for protective gear. I have been riding motorcycles since 1965 from a Norton 500cc, a 250cc Honda enduro, a1955 Harley rigid frame, a 2000 Harley Deuce, and now the R18. The passion never leaves. My saying has always been, you can’t live to the fullest if you are afraid of dying. I just pray to God that I don’t leave my wife w a burden.

So, I bought a 2023 a week after I sat on a friends HD Heritage Classic. First time flat footed. I have a lot of experience and
turned 71 the next week. My right leg is getting better and it was only lifting it to the peg and rear brake usage got better
as I completed my PT. My legs are strong so moving it around(classic or least mine has no reverse) was fine. U turns and moving
it around on gravel not so fun. I have always calculated that someone tries to kill me 6 times a year. There is a real perk benefit
to driving in general. My car driving is also very attentive. 4,000 miles this summer on hilly curving roads with minimal cars.
Hard to put a price on that. When it is physically beyond me to safely ride I will Stop. My brother who just turned 80 put about 5 grand
into his 89 R1000RT but the last bit, 3k or so, had the bike come bike Nov of 2019 and has not been ridden(Bad leg). The is no putting a price
and riding again. I will continue to ride as long as I am safe and attentive. Gear being worn of course.

Triumph Daytona, 60/5, 90/5, K100RT, 60/5, R1200RT, R 18 Classic

Back