I have to be pouring gas wrong...

Folo

Hey guys,

As the title reads, I've had a minor issue with my bike.. so my R18's tank has a plate that I can only imagine is part of a baffling or anti-slush feature built in that is causing a lot of spray and spatter when I put gas. Sometimes, ill get lucky and the pump is low enough in pressure and I can angle it to reduce the splash but today I basically had the pressure washer gas pump and nearly washed the tank because the lever didn't release (no overflow sensor or just jammed). Am I the only wrong doing this wrong? Haven't seen it be a thing but I'd love to look into a taller feed neck for this dang thing.

Thanks!

Never had an issue moderating the pressure of the hand nozzle here (in the UK) but having been on a number of other bike forums over the years you guys in the US often seem to struggle with this. Seems like your petrol pumps are either full on or off. That gizmo Enzo suggested looks like a good buy….

The part that gets me is how shallow the opening of the tank is because of whatever plate is right there at the opening... I can't get the pump nozzle past it so all this time I've been trying to angle the flow so it doesn't splash.

Does anyone know what that plate actually is or am I crazy?

The part that gets me is how shallow the opening of the tank is because of whatever plate is right there at the opening... I can't get the pump nozzle past it so all this time I've been trying to angle the flow so it doesn't splash.

Not sure what it is called ... but it is irritating! I have no problems with it splashing .. but I have to keep a real close eye on it when the tank starts to fill, not to over fill her ... I sure wished it wasn't there !

Every bike I’ve had of late is just the same with a holed metal plate/baffle just inside the neck. I have to find the sweet spot holding the nozzle just so, so that it doesn’t click itself off when I try and fill up.

I feel you could have the same plate there but contoured or with a hole for the nozzle but I couldn't help but feel its has to be there for good reason and not a design oversight.

I had same issue... here in sunny CA the prob is the damned vapor recovery cuff. It is designed to make a seal on the opening (to catch vapor- ha) but it needs a couple inches for the metal nozzle to get down into tank far enough so that the cuff (spring loaded) is compressed, which isn't possible due to the baffle plate in the tank! So the solution is to make a fork with your index and middle finger to compress the cuff. Not only a tad uncomfortable, but leads to the risk that the pressure shut off doesn't work and lo, a mess (and potential fire hazard ) not to mention the adverse environmental aspect of the minor fuel spill.

Someone on this board said there is a metal tool that can be used in lieu of the finger technique I described.. lost that link so don't know where to find that device!

That just sounds ridiculous! Granted, I'm in florida so the laws or setup may be different but I have never seen another tank with that damn baffle in the way. May as well turn this into a technique post to see how others get past it lol.

I had same issue... here in sunny CA the prob is the damned vapor recovery cuff. It is designed to make a seal on the opening (to catch vapor- ha) but it needs a couple inches for the metal nozzle to get down into tank far enough so that the cuff (spring loaded) is compressed, which isn't possible due to the baffle plate in the tank! So the solution is to make a fork with your index and middle finger to compress the cuff. Not only a tad uncomfortable, but leads to the risk that the pressure shut off doesn't work and lo, a mess (and potential fire hazard ) not to mention the adverse environmental aspect of the minor fuel spill.

Someone on this board said there is a metal tool that can be used in lieu of the finger technique I described.. lost that link so don't know where to find that device!
Ohhh yes I forgot about the pumps that have that foreskin on them!! Here in Oregon we some with and some without ... I really hate when I have to fill up on one that has it .. mega pain in the rear!

I just stand there and visually monitor nozzle flow and make sure there is no splashing. I visually decide when to stop filling my tank. It requires a kind of dedicated concentration and in certain levels of ambient light it is a bit hard to see into the tank opening, so I am careful to park where there is light too. So far I have only had minor overfill splash, easily absorbed by a piece of paper towel. In a minute or two at most, the residue had evaporated. I clean my bike after nearly every single ride (tons of bugs up here during riding season) so I do not leave even a bit of fuel residue on the upper part of the tank. I am glad the cyclinder heads do not get red-hot, because I fear a serious overspill might create on heck of a problem very fast.

A couple versions of this tool can be used

I angle the nozzle to the right of the "plate" and both watch for any minor splashing and listen as the level approaches the full level. Very rare that I've seen even a couple of drops from any petrol escaping similar to AV8OR's reply describes. I NEVER rely on the pump handle turning off via any pressure setting so if it does I consider it a bonus at that particular station.

Last edited:
Rufus- I just returned yesterday from a 1000 mile jaunt requiring 4 fillups. I used this gadget every time and it works great! Niw if I can just find a way to carry all my gear. (panniers and top box just aint big enough...
When I rode my Yamaha Roadliner I used this every time a fueled up. For certain bikes it does a great job.
I swapped the original cap for this and it solved all these issues.
IMG_4138.jpeg

Rufus- I just returned yesterday from a 1000 mile jaunt requiring 4 fillups. I used this gadget every time and it works great! Niw if I can just find a way to carry all my gear. (panniers and top box just aint big enough...
I agree the saddle bags on the B are useless... can't wait for more aftermarket options.

Does the adapter smell like fuel though? where do you store it?

Maybe the use of the word "pumping" vs "pouring" gas will help..?

I started riding into work this week, I wanted to get a feel for the lights while riding in the dark: Headlight • Auxiliary Lights • High Beam; anyway, I had to fill up after work today and I was thinking about this post.

For starters.. I put way too much thought into everything I do, and stopping for fuel isn't any different; I found myself thinking about which side of the bike do I prefer to approach the fuel pump.

I like the fuel pump on my right side, it allows me to get the kick stand out without hitting the curb and such. I already know that I'm going to try and balance the bike upright, in order to maximize the amount of fuel I can squeeze into the tank; the kick stand being out will be useful in case I have to ditch the bike.

I'm right handed, so paying and handling the nozzle is in better control when operating via my dominant side.

I guess I'm fortunate that I don't have to store and carry all of these different gadgets and such; plus, anything to do with fueling is always dirty.. maybe a rag is used, which is located in the right rear case for any spills, which so far hasn't been an issue.

Oh yeah.. I place the fuel cap, upside down on the right side push rods - cylinder head while fueling.

I think we all have to give it some forethought TBH. The R18 is a very low bike with big lean when on its stand. I prefer the pump on the LHS because the bike is presented more easily and I don’t have to fight with a pump hose and lean over the bike. I’m right handed too. No doubt it goes on but in my area (of England) it’s frowned upon to sit on your bike and fuel up. They don’t like it and sometimes even wearing a helmet too. It’s because of riders stealing petrol and just riding off.

No doubt bikes with centre stands make filling up a much easier affair but it is what it is 🤷‍♂️

Back