I know the seat I want

7528A357-6485-41CD-92CB-1ECA103313E8.jpegB355EB96-96E5-4597-812F-8039449551EA.jpegCE70F79E-7DE7-42B6-A8EE-AC109A28AC9F.jpeg

I just unpacked the seat. Unfortunately they shipped me the wrong seat. A little disappointing since Hans had me send pictures of each item in my order to overcome the language barrier. I’ll have to email him.
But the quality of the seat and all the hardware is superb. I’ve never seen this kind of quality from an American seat manufacturer.
I just got back from a 13 hour drive. My son got married in North Dakota yesterday. So I’m exhausted. I’ll post more pictures later in the week.

I did get a prompt response from Hans to my email today. He offered to exchange the seat but I am going to install the pan and lay the seat onto the bike and see how it looks.
I really do not want to wait for an exchange knowing now how long shipping takes.

Last edited:
Well it is going to be a bit before I get to install the seat.
The beautifully machined seat base takes the place of the cast aluminum piece that not only sits under the OEM seat but continues back to also support the rear fender. So in order to install it I need to replace the rear fender with one of LMC's Hardline fenders or get my hands on the BMW bobber kit.
While I had every intention of replacing the rear fender I am disappointed that I won't be using the seat anytime soon. My unfamiliarity with the R18 and it's construction led me to this point but I think LMC should also have the fact that the rear fender needs to also be replaced in the product description. I would have likely ordered a fender at the same time as the seat. Now it would take months to order an LMC fender and get it here.
Has anyone heard any news on the BMW bobber kit availability?

7C4FBE81-343C-4A59-A29C-CF830293A93A.jpeg

C0639AD9-97FA-4356-A472-5CB446739B1C_1_201_a.jpeg

The beautifully machined seat base takes the place of the cast aluminum piece that not only sits under the OEM seat but continues back to also support the rear fender. So in order to install it I need to replace the rear fender with one of LMC's Hardline fenders or get my hands on the BMW bobber kit.
While I had every intention of replacing the rear fender I am disappointed that I won't be using the seat anytime soon. My unfamiliarity with the R18 and it's construction led me to this point but I think LMC should also have the fact that the rear fender needs to also be replaced in the product description. I would have likely ordered a fender at the same time as the seat. Now it would take months to order an LMC fender and get it here.

View attachment 4729

View attachment 4730
well that is a serious bummer. i completely overlooked that myself as i just assumed it attached to the stock huge piece of metal. i wish i had thought through it and said something as the walzwerk one is similar in concept.

you could maybe get the walzwerk bobber kit without the seat and their metal plate if the bmw one is not avail.

View attachment 4729

View attachment 4730
That Sucks
Hey MD,maybe exchange it for the seat you initially wanted and get their fender sent together.

I see the BMW solo seat mounting kit costs almost as much as the seat so,not the deal I thought it was.
btw,You have done a really bitchin job on your R18.Love it and keep posting...

Hans should have mentioned that a bobber rear fender was necessary.

Solutions: 1) sit tight and wait for the bobber seat of your choice. Wunderlich, BMW, and FCR do stand alone fender kits. Wunderkind and WalzWerks aren't too keen on breaking up their setups unfortunately...or maybe fortunately. 2) return it and eat the shipping. This is exactly what I should've done after receiving the incorrect finish on my oil cooler and cylinder head covers from Hans. But after waiting like two months, it's hard to be like, nope, wrong color. And now, months later, I don't know what all the impatience was about. Anyhow, 3) sell to someone here? There are some bobber kitted R18s floating about. I haven't ridden my R18 since adding the WalzWerks saddle, it may be horrible.😬 4) get the LMC bobber kit and insist that Hans push your production date way up since he neglected to tell you that his kit, or one similar from his competition, would be necessary.

Hans should have mentioned that a bobber rear fender was necessary.

Solutions: 1) sit tight and wait for the bobber seat of your choice. Wunderlich, BMW, and FCR do stand alone fender kits. Wunderkind and WalzWerks aren't too keen on breaking up their setups unfortunately...or maybe fortunately. 2) return it and eat the shipping. This is exactly what I should've done after receiving the incorrect finish on my oil cooler and cylinder head covers from Hans. But after waiting like two months, it's hard to be like, nope, wrong color. And now, months later, I don't know what all the impatience was about. Anyhow, 3) sell to someone here? There are some bobber kitted R18s floating about. I haven't ridden my R18 since adding the WalzWerks saddle, it may be horrible.😬
@TodkaVonic I find the walzwerk's saddle very comfortable fwiw. hope you get yours soon to try it out.

@MilwDave. Regarding LMC they seem to be a small shop. IDK. A couple people got the wrong parts. After ordering and shipping of some levers i got the news from hans that their clutch MC is designed for dot4 so i will need to replace the seals on the slave. He did send me some seals which is good! But getting to the slave is not going to be fun and work i was not expecting. Anyway, point of all this is that we are on the bleeding edge of design and production and things that may seem obvious will be overlooked or missed.

That said, I agree that your issue with the seat mounting should be loud and clear on the order page. Good on you for remaining civil about it.

this design and color really temps me

E483FCD6-A95C-4A10-BD9E-285B7E4901B2.jpeg

@TodkaVonic I find the walzwerk's saddle very comfortable fwiw. hope you get yours soon to try it out.

@MilwDave. Regarding LMC they seem to be a small shop. IDK. A couple people got the wrong parts. After ordering and shipping of some levers i got the news from hans that their clutch MC is designed for dot4 so i will need to replace the seals on the slave. He did send me some seals which is good! But getting to the slave is not going to be fun and work i was not expecting. Anyway, point of all this is that we are on the bleeding edge of design and production and things that may seem obvious will be overlooked or missed.

That said, I agree that your issue with the seat mounting should be loud and clear on the order page. Good on you for remaining civil about it.

this design and color really temps me

View attachment 4731
I absolutely love the seat so I’m going to hang on to it and work on getting a fender. I want to retain the OEM rear lights (I just don’t trust drivers being able to see the small LEDs most builders are using. Looks good on a custom but not safe for a bike ridden in traffic.)
So the BMW bobber fender may be my best option. And as you said too many people receiving wrong parts to risk getting the incorrect parts in a big expensive shipment.
Hans has been very good to deal with and he quickly offered to exchange the seat. But I replied that I would keep it and had a few questions on what fenders were best suited for the OEM wheel/tire and factory signal lights. So far I have not heard back from him.
I don’t know how big a shop LMC is but Hans says he’s been at it for 26 years now. But a Google search makes it seem that the R18 is his biggest dive into creating a wide range of parts.
Based on the production levels and slow first year sales we may have already seen the peak of what parts are going to be available in the aftermarket. And BMW may never bring that bobber kit back into their catalog.

Back