I put in too much engine oil

Billt1NH

Site Supporter
2022 R18 Transcontinental . when on jiffy stand could not see oil . On blocks to put bike straight up and down barely above bottom red line. I put in about 1/2 quart went for a ride. On jiffy stand 3/4 up the red circle. Put jiffy stand back on blocks to have bike straight now oil above sight glass. If I loosen the drain plug to let a little out to I need to replace drain plug washer? Owners manual says I have to take it in to BMW for this ?

No worries and using the crush washer as is will be fine. If you would be so kind to share how much you originally put in and the amount removed to be at the "high" level mark on the site glass I would appreciate it.

Sight glass bottom to top is about 1/2 liter. If you do slightly more than 1/2 liter you could be over the top.

I generally only do 1/4 liter at a time as that would get to about middle of the glass. As long as oil is visible on the sight glass when vertical you are good.

I had BMW service at 800 mile now at 2300 . The oil level at best only ever touched the bottom line. I added about 1/2 liter , too much now overful. I drained out what looks to be little less than 1/4 liter, now in the middle of sight glass.
AAicuFYb-tMWX0iey3KtV6ZO7Jz_vKvfpbfpu1bvwkL-U3WGoaH2CkhMwOEY5JZnusFAPZhTT0d2_zNYYnaf3P87QEqM10H5w8u-ih_IM9Nla_VLI927_KwylRmLnQyHbyTWHL8DPWVimfYmLdhUzirjShD8XOySIU0abcugEBTzNiyR5Ch9Fi8RmuvdcLA0zy_ngVCwvuVNFA5NkJbqezoP2n8TZuu-ZRO8ESfucsvXuVhfpK_AXDh8hQEf87EM-jxuWoRxg-H8W8PDkuZZ9mPGW7DgdXTycOMLPTEBAu-n6ILmr8KpP7clr2MIG6g1XL4sK_UafElfXYoFAhSnzeym5cnv2wdO7IocbEhgpkn5bSWo9A_d4_Usv_wNBFjtYuAHH46IRM4WwyVI0mCakTd76LR4aacASkR6bqCci9W_iwweqfs4BGSrTG6gd7OP4s8LVxZ-5B31DkEDFD5is8mPRGytN_c10bWA2FcHXmKSqp692ovkbOUdWSG31FcOGOA_ALIOe3aaSM7LTQwnxTGsuC6M_gigIIU_ehDTB73BizwxFIRk3pqnEIVsQtBZdOwq2zpwhohOKu3N0hki2aCQrRgjFmMzOabVQP8DQeqPzmzj6QZ-3u6qSiaUR8-zk6L08Rz_U-4Q-n-pUdJUCk34C3m2LHXUFA_EcjtVG7CaJ_i5_dwEcPE_-DOKQnAJtDQAO2y5F1qOnvMqWOPcF-aG9FHjhXQkMGfeUs-TrKaBxArcATzKuu5dJjkl=w1239-h929-no

GGLxgtN5joFG42RXXNOFd2-qCmeexH_wBSEq-T4jY0l2hymSkcpy497NV5rl3CauBvjjsMG9Y_ff3t6dvjl3kYhVCtrWiXBNy9qrFWSqOpW-GiQ9QTS5-pJI9VokbZdpqKjmeINM0TaSCZBvHat7ZISaGSwtw2U1fkU6Kpqe9kmaZQhHXDLH4vAHlj2yzelGwcp_i7IZJIg5nDFUI7QRJ-uTFCltIooqKdofyhdey3TNy-a90eibL64OsX5H5EKiQtpDJ5a5zhmZIbTjM3ZmvfMmLlTvCTlP2JpvcDDjgIwDJHhW8g1g4UOez1uBusGAAo4joYvpx_QujnEMueV7AMQHz3UJIKucLGl3ZD0v6R0nasELTNR15ioUaXKeXVu4SyrIJ0LK8y9mRssBaNH9S1XO7XrDvvUQfvafdRCf02RKZuawnpQfSO4MaVV3pcv5Ec-DSabGC17TE_vjI-zu7dVusLL4og2ey05sDNKUQdcVJe_mrsIDXyHtIX82QCyCIhunEcxdhwukFcG9uzxpcbxazhAv_huczYtAitNpUhP7LdYYjSLO2mr49TsXaZdCa65urEYrw46S6hEakU6RORbMPIxZv9bco1jo1I9ftRqKy7kmNB2vZKfQL13S-UDWtLFwm5u-gBY1whXC3Z8MTpu65h0bQYSANAhOXlztj9DPtuX49xftmESJh5mdufjVc2519V85Wxc4VLsQmamDfdXo-PdzxXhb6MOFOALVZ6gLxgfDBX6EAymDa5UV=w697-h929-no

I had BMW service at 800 mile now at 2300 . The oil level at best only ever touched the bottom line. I added about 1/2 liter , too much now overful. I drained out what looks to be little less than 1/4 liter, now in the middle of sight glass.

Thanks for the information, I was wondering if you had added oil after she was serviced or if you had done a completely new oil and filter change. As your results show and nielsm confirmed this is a minute amount of oil and similar to the 12XX engines as to the volume involved to "top her off" from the bottom to the top of the sight glass. Little to worry about mechanically given the the overall volume and amount +/- being involved, but it would bug me enough to do the same as you to have things as called for.

Cheers

I wonder if it's similar to my 1200 hex head. Oil level should be checked hot, which is to say after a ride and let it drain down for a few minutes. The thing is, I have a center stand. Does the R18 have to be level to check the oil?

I wonder if it's similar to my 1200 hex head. Oil level should be checked hot, which is to say after a ride and let it drain down for a few minutes. The thing is, I have a center stand. Does the R18 have to be level to check the oil?
Yes it has to be hot, i only check after riden at leat 20 miles... let sit for few minutes then check... it has to be level, what i do i either take pic with my phone while sitting on it.... or have my wife to do that while i hold the bike to make sure im level...or make a video as well.. there's many different ways...

1:Hot
2:Hot
3:Hot
1)During a oil change, always drain the oil hot so you make sure all the oil drains out.
2)Most new bikes with oil coolers have a thermostat to allow the engine to warm up, keeping oil trapped till operating tempeture per EPA.
3)With the engine hot,You know the oil cooler valve is open when draining the oil or checking the oil window.

Last thing.
Don't put all 4L in.Save 400-500cc of oil when filling.Start the bike till it gets to operating temperature then look at the window.Add some 200-300cc.Recheck and add as required.

Hope that helps.
TK

Yes it has to be hot, i only check after riden at leat 20 miles... let sit for few minutes then check... it has to be level, what i do i either take pic with my phone while sitting on it.... or have my wife to do that while i hold the bike to make sure im level...or make a video as well.. there's many different ways...
I do the same, quick and easy with the phone.

When you change the oil, do it with the engine warm, and if you replace the oil filter, as u should, add exactly what the mfg says. If u follow these easy steps you'll never overfill the engine. I've been doing this for 10,000 years...with 100% success.

2022 R18 Transcontinental . when on jiffy stand could not see oil . On blocks to put bike straight up and down barely above bottom red line. I put in about 1/2 quart went for a ride. On jiffy stand 3/4 up the red circle. Put jiffy stand back on blocks to have bike straight now oil above sight glass. If I loosen the drain plug to let a little out to I need to replace drain plug washer? Owners manual says I have to take it in to BMW for this ?
Excuse me, I just got my FE and I want to know what is a Jiffy Stand ????

Excuse me, I just got my FE and I want to know what is a Jiffy Stand ????
Short answer, side stand. Long answer, side stand.......

Jiffy Stand is a term used by Harley Davidson for their side stand on which they basically incorporated a male tab on the stand section with a pivot near the frame end. This aligns with a female boxed section on the frame/bracket and then when the motorcycle is leaned over everything locks in place thus preventing your motorcycle from being able to roll off the stand if improperly parked on a grade, etc. Easier to look up on ewe tube or similar than to describe, but it works well and was designed many moons ago.

Ok, I was thinking it was some sort of Lift ?? I am not sure I could use one, I must check into it though. Thank you for the reply ! !
You basically have one with your side stand and if in doubt I leave my bike in gear when I turn it off to allow the engine to keep her in place. There are a couple of options for stands needed when pulling wheels, etc., that will come up using the search function. Enjoy getting to know your new 18!

Back