I took the “Big Boxer” plunge…

Hello folks. New member here submitting my first post:
I still can’t believe I did it. Traded my GSA for an R18 AND an R18B on Friday. Dealer had both R18’s in Galaxy Dust sitting side-by-side and I said yes please to both. Have only had time to log a couple hundred miles but, I’m impressed so far. Torque is addictive. Dealer was terrific and helped get me out on the road with my first few accessories — gloss black covers, handle bars and exhaust for the R18 and a tall windshield for the Bagger. More accessories will no doubt follow...
3A8BA9C6-50F5-4F67-8D23-2AFE0354DE70.jpeg

D5F5DB68-1C48-4057-8BD6-8664B764E741.jpeg
EF6B0EA6-0229-4C79-ADB1-C9F0FE7A94EF.jpeg

Beautiful bikes. Congrats! I just sold my 2021 R1250 GSA this weekend, shortly after watching it ride away Billt1NH (from the site here) and I struck a deal on his beautiful R18 Transcontinental First Edition. After pick-up, I'll have an R18 Classic FE and a R18 Transcontinental FE in the garage. Not sure if I'll keep the Classic, but I must say, your post has inspired me to consider it. Cool stable seeing the two bikes with the same color scheme side by side. To be honest, I didn't think I liked the Galaxy Dust color, but it looks great on your new bikes.

Keep us posted, and share your comparisons as you get a few miles on those great machines.

Beautiful bikes. Congrats! I just sold my 2021 R1250 GSA this weekend, shortly after watching it ride away Billt1NH (from the site here) and I struck a deal on his beautiful R18 Transcontinental First Edition. After pick-up, I'll have an R18 Classic FE and a R18 Transcontinental FE in the garage. Not sure if I'll keep the Classic, but I must say, your post has inspired me to consider it. Cool stable seeing the two bikes with the same color scheme side by side. To be honest, I didn't think I liked the Galaxy Dust color, but it looks great on your new bikes.

Keep us posted, and share your comparisons as you get a few miles on those great machines.
TC, congratulations on your pair of First Editions. Holding onto both is something to consider.

I went for Galaxy Dust when I saw it in person against the black engine with black covers. I also like the dark-to-light “smoke” transition inside the Silver sections. It‘s a throw-back to the paint treatment on R90S silver smoke bikes from the mid-70’s. Galaxy Dust paint scheme is not for everyone — I wouldn’t call it subtle or classic. I don’t usually go for bold color bikes but something about these Galaxy twins hooked me ;) 10850E6D-1DE2-40CC-8B14-E90B81E60A6D.jpeg

Congratulations! I'm certain you'll be very satisfied having both on tap anytime. They complement each other magnificently and riding both will sharpen your skills for certain.

I still can’t believe I did it. Traded my GSA for an R18 AND an R18B on Friday. Dealer had both R18’s in Galaxy Dust sitting side-by-side and I said yes please to both. Have only had time to log a couple hundred miles but, I’m impressed so far. Torque is addictive. Dealer was terrific and helped get me out on the road with my first few accessories — gloss black covers, handle bars and exhaust for the R18 and a tall windshield for the Bagger. More accessories will no doubt follow...
View attachment 6339

View attachment 6340
View attachment 6341
Do those new models come with radial tires?

3 out of 4?
R18:
-Front 120/70B19
-Rear 180/65B16

R18B:
-Front 120/70R19
-Rear 180/65B16
That's odd! Usually you don't mix them...I would see if you can get a radial for the rear. The only thing I dislike about my Classic is that I cannot get radials for it. Radials are far superior...much better ride ..and safer...assuming they're GT speced for the bike's weight.

Reactions: Vyk
looks like same mix here, my R18 base first edition came with Michelin Commander III
-Front 120/70R19
-Rear 180/65B16
but it's been fine, this was an early one, picked it up in October 2020

View attachment 6339

View attachment 6340
View attachment 6341
View attachment 6339

View attachment 6340
View attachment 6341
looks awesome love those bars you have a big smile !!!

Thanks guys.

Really looking forward to having fun with these bikes and interacting here on the forum.

Attachments

• 5992EDBF-E852-4CAE-B7D7-F740AE4F0E39.jpeg
    5992EDBF-E852-4CAE-B7D7-F740AE4F0E39.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 16
Need reports about the comfort of the ape hanger for long journeys!!! Is imposible to enroute the wires into de handlebar?
Luis, the 16” apes are fun. BMW has no option for internal wiring. On my Harley-Davidson bikes I found Factory 47 bars to be excellent. Apes make parking lot maneuvers more difficult. I am 6’1” and my wrists are right at shoulder height. I find them to be fairly comfortable. I like them on my fun bike but, would not want them on a one-and-only ride. Dealer had them pushed pretty far forward. I like them in line with fork angle. Ordered the accessory and bar from BMW to locate turn signals down lower. I live near the beach in east, central Florida. This bike is perfect for rides around town and up the coast. Searching for a higher, wider solo seat option - leaning Corbin possibly in dark brown leather. Also want to change my mirrors but haven’t found the right ones yet. Only have a few miles on her so far. If you check back in a month or so, I will give you an updated report and some pictures. What are you riding? How have you accessorized your ride?

Luis, the 16” apes are fun. BMW has no option for internal wiring. On my Harley-Davidson bikes I found Factory 47 bars to be excellent. Apes make parking lot maneuvers more difficult. I am 6’1” and my wrists are right at shoulder height. I find them to be fairly comfortable. I like them on my fun bike but, would not want them on a one-and-only ride. Dealer had them pushed pretty far forward. I like them in line with fork angle. Ordered the accessory and bar from BMW to locate turn signals down lower. I live near the beach in east, central Florida. This bike is perfect for rides around town and up the coast. Searching for a higher, wider solo seat option - leaning Corbin possibly in dark brown leather. Also want to change my mirrors but haven’t found the right ones yet. Only have a few miles on her so far. If you check back in a month or so, I will give you an updated report and some pictures. What are you riding? How have you accessorized your ride?
Oh, great review. I was thinking about apes but with your feedback maybe I would go just to a handlebar riser. I’m 6.0 and for long journeys the handlebar must be closer to me (a little bit). Former Fatboy driver, since november 2020 I’m driving the R18FE, accessorized with the Weekender seat (previously a Crosscountry that is most comfortable than the Weekender but ugly �), the crash bar, Roland Sands handlebar finish, the OEM soft saddlebag and lately I added the OEM higher windshield and auxiliary light (I don’t like how the lights look, maybe I’ll remove them in the future). For the mirrors you can take a look to the Roland Sands option, or Wunderkind or even an Arlen Ness that someone has installed to his bike. About solo seats, the Weekender is comfortable but is big and it takes a little bit of the beauty of the bike. Seeing that you have two bikes, I suppose the Bagger is going to be your ”long rides bike” and you could go to the bobber version for your base R18, where you have the OEM KIT or wunderlich or walzwerk and maybe I’m forgetting some other brand. If you don’t want to go in that way, take a look at revzilla.com. There is a Roland Sands solo seat, it looks pretty but not reviews so far.
PD: sorry about my English, is not my main language.

Oh, great review. I was thinking about apes but with your feedback maybe I would go just to a handlebar riser. I’m 6.0 and for long journeys the handlebar must be closer to me (a little bit). Former Fatboy driver, since november 2020 I’m driving the R18FE, accessorized with the Weekender seat (previously a Crosscountry that is most comfortable than the Weekender but ugly �), the crash bar, Roland Sands handlebar finish, the OEM soft saddlebag and lately I added the OEM higher windshield and auxiliary light (I don’t like how the lights look, maybe I’ll remove them in the future). For the mirrors you can take a look to the Roland Sands option, or Wunderkind or even an Arlen Ness that someone has installed to his bike. About solo seats, the Weekender is comfortable but is big and it takes a little bit of the beauty of the bike. Seeing that you have two bikes, I suppose the Bagger is going to be your ”long rides bike” and you could go to the bobber version for your base R18, where you have the OEM KIT or wunderlich or walzwerk and maybe I’m forgetting some other brand. If you don’t want to go in that way, take a look at revzilla.com. There is a Roland Sands solo seat, it looks pretty but not reviews so far.
PD: sorry about my English, is not my main language.
Luis,
No need to apologize for your English.

I spent time in the Corbin Seat store in Ormond Beach, Florida today and ordered a solo seat in Chocolate Brown with Black stitching for my R18. They estimate 35 days to produce it so, I should see it mid-September. My hope is that it strikes a balance between great looks and improved comfort. Corbin estimates it will raise up 1/2” higher without pushing any closer to the tank. The extra width and scooped out “bucket“ shape should help with comfort. Will post pictures as soon as I get it installed. I must say, they did a great job - fantastic customer service at Corbin store today…

Back