idle surge

JimS

2021 First Edition experiencing new issue with a surge in idle...goes from @950 to @1250-1400 rpm when put in 1st gear and clutch released, it just takes off without any throttle input. Never did that before, always went to correct idle speed when put in gear, and idles fine in neutral. No reply from BMW to local dealer's inquiry on this issue. Any Forum thoughts appreciated...

2021 First Edition experiencing new issue with a surge in idle...goes from @950 to @1250-1400 rpm when put in 1st gear and clutch released, it just takes off without any throttle input. Never did that before, always went to correct idle speed when put in gear, and idles fine in neutral. No reply from BMW to local dealer's inquiry on this issue. Any Forum thoughts appreciated...
Should be under warranty so I’d get that booked in to be checked out, doesn’t sound right. They can stick the diagnostic tool on it and see what fault codes throw up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230729_051607_Samsung Internet~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20230729_051607_Samsung Internet~2.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20230729_051452_Samsung Internet~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20230729_051452_Samsung Internet~2.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 11
Thanks for the tip...I assume you're referring to the tube in the fuel tank
I'm not sure to be honest the dealer had the bike for 3 days and had it in bits. He told me it was a breathing tube in bad English. It was covered by warranty and they were online to Germany as it was weird, they hadn't encountered the issue before. It was recorded on their global "issue' platform where BMW agents share problems.

The dealer in question is: Jürgen Motors, C. Mariano Azuela 91, Ladron De Guevara, 44600 Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico. Phone: 33 3630 3019

Last edited:
Jim ... just to throw in my 2¢ ... mine has some sort of stall control (and I assume yours does too) the idle usually is @ 900 revs ... but when I put her in gear that bumps up to 1050-1100 and I can get going without touching the throttle just playing with the clutch and she will try to adjust power to keep her from stalling ... is that what you mean? ... although 1250 - 1400 revs seems a bit high ... took me by surprise too, the first few times .. never had a bike that did that.

Jim ... just to throw in my 2¢ ... mine has some sort of stall control (and I assume yours does too) the idle usually is @ 900 revs ... but when I put her in gear that bumps up to 1050-1100 and I can get going without touching the throttle just playing with the clutch and she will try to adjust power to keep her from stalling ... is that what you mean? ... although 1250 - 1400 revs seems a bit high ... took me by surprise too, the first few times .. never had a bike that did that.
That's the issue exactly. Have been waiting to hear from my dealer's service tech who has Q&A'd BMW Motorrad on any advice & possible fix for this known problem. No response from Berlin...yet.

Ahhh ... maybe a software update? .. not sure if you mentioned it earlier ... but did your dealership do a software update on your bike yet?

Mine goes well beyond 1100...latest test I did was applying the front brakes while it was rolling in 1st gear at its high @1200 rpm idle with no throttle input and the idle surged to @1600 rpm. It just took off again while rolling...actually spun the rear tire. That's what I'd call a problem, not a normal operating characteristic. Can't wait to hear what BMW Motorrad has to say about this...

Mine goes well beyond 1100...latest test I did was applying the front brakes while it was rolling in 1st gear at its high @1200 rpm idle with no throttle input and the idle surged to @1600 rpm. It just took off again while rolling...actually spun the rear tire. That's what I'd call a problem, not a normal operating characteristic. Can't wait to hear what BMW Motorrad has to say about this...
yes exactly like this ..dangerous AF....

Yes that is way out there !!

Many of my last few Hondas had that system, anti stall rider assist or something like that it was called. It was very constant though, never fluctuated like Jim’s bike.

Many of my last few Hondas had that system, anti stall rider assist or something like that it was called. It was very constant though, never fluctuated like Jim’s bike.
Thanks! that is what I thought ... always had older bikes ... no such thing there :)

Just back from a 600 mile tour on my Classic. The bike was faultless but I do have a couple of issues I wasn't happy with.
1. When taking off from idle, especially if on a slight incline, the engine rev's in such a way that people would assume I am blipping the throttle and planning on a fast get a way. Very annoying as it is difficult to judge how the bike will respond as the clutch is released.
2. On a steep incline when stationary. The bike would not rev enough to take off. It was as though I was in 2nd or 3rd gear instead of 1st. I need to investigate this further before bringing it up with the dealership.
Any of the above familiar to other members?

I've put around 5k miles on my Classic in the past year, it's still better every time I ride it, at 10k total mileage, it just gets smoother and stronger.

It's only evidenced a surging a couple of times, and then only when first starting out for a ride (startup and ride away within a minute or two), changing to rock did not stop it... but it went away each time once I got on the road and put it to work.

The launch issue from stationary on an incline, could the hill-lock have been active? It can be a little grabby when not expecting it.

I've put around 5k miles on my Classic in the past year, it's still better every time I ride it, at 10k total mileage, it just gets smoother and stronger.

It's only evidenced a surging a couple of times, and then only when first starting out for a ride (startup and ride away within a minute or two), changing to rock did not stop it... but it went away each time once I got on the road and put it to work.

The launch issue from stationary on an incline, could the hill-lock have been active? It can be a little grabby when not expecting it.
Hi Varg
Thanks for the reply. I have 4000 miles on my Classic and I have had this throttle blip throughout and regardless of the mode. I have never properly studied when it occurs but will do so before visiting the dealership. I also wondered if the problem I had on a steep hill was related to hill assist. Again, I will need to look further.

I just did some research on why BMW has dual spark on our bikes and apparently, surging is one of the main issues that dual spark is supposed to address.

Jim, I'd double check all four of your spark plugs and make sure they are in good working order. On each cylinder, the second plug is located underneath, looking at the ground. Give those an inspection and make sure they're okay.

Mike

Back