If you did it over again...base fe with reverse or Classic no reverse?

motoring

Title says it all, just wondering if any one owning a Classic regrets not having reverse that is offered/on the FE base model...if I am saying that right. Though thinking maybe any base model that is not a FE might not come with reverse so those owners comments are likewise appreicated. Yes, I am pondering a 21 FE or 22 R18 (non FE) and a Classic model. No Bagger nor TC for me...both just too heavy I feel and cost too much over the lower end models.

I bought my bike specificlly for the reverse gear because of my sidecar plans.
I would buy a R18 without the Reverse if I were just riding 2 wheels.I would not buy one without cruise and I have gotten used to heated grips so I would want that optionas well.

I’ve used reverse, for real, once so far. And that because it was only SLIGHTLY tougher than usual to walk it back. Of course I live in the flatlands so it isn’t much of an issue. Classic seems to give more bang for the buck than the base. Windscreen, lights, bags, etc.

Yes, sidecar using reverse for certain :) bet that is/will be a sweet ride. Concur about cruise and heated grips (thinking only two settings). Well those plus that nice dual seat bmw offers with more cushioning (has sort of a ripple sideways pattern with pleated sections in a manner of speaking).

Just wish I lived in CA, they have some killer deals on tricked out 21/22 FE models that the East coast just does not come even close to in pricing. Don't know, maybe one has to come in with cash and for several thousand less and see if they take it or slap your face type of thing. Dealers like to cover the building expenses, pay staff etc etc.

Yes, sidecar using reverse for certain :) bet that is/will be a sweet ride. Concur about cruise and heated grips (thinking only two settings). Well those plus that nice dual seat bmw offers with more cushioning (has sort of a ripple sideways pattern with pleated sections in a manner of speaking).

Just wish I lived in CA, they have some killer deals on tricked out 21/22 FE models that the East coast just does not come even close to in pricing. Don't know, maybe one has to come in with cash and for several thousand less and see if they take it or slap your face type of thing. Dealers like to cover the building expenses, pay staff etc etc.
The dealer here had no clue about their inventory or promotions. Thanks to this forum I was set straight. I bought online from a dealer in Oklahoma. Great price and it included shipping. Perhaps you could work shipping into a deal on one of the CA bikes?

IMG_0300-2.jpg

Purchased a 2021 R18 FE ( Pure ) with “ the lot “. Reverse out of level garage each ride ; could push it. Just makes life easier. Best accessory is cruise control. Heated grips also appreciated.

Title says it all, just wondering if any one owning a Classic regrets not having reverse that is offered/on the FE base model...if I am saying that right. Though thinking maybe any base model that is not a FE might not come with reverse so those owners comments are likewise appreicated. Yes, I am pondering a 21 FE or 22 R18 (non FE) and a Classic model. No Bagger nor TC for me...both just too heavy I feel and cost too much over the lower end models.
I believe all First Edition packages on all models came with reverse. For example, my Classic with First Edition package has reverse. For 2022 I believe you need to get the Galaxy paint to be able to get reverse on both Pure & Classic.

I’m glad I have reverse, but I can’t say I’ve had an occasion where I’ve needed to use it (maybe too many years riding without reverse, so I think about the hill where I park). The seat is so low, I have plenty of leverage to move the bike with just my legs on a flat surface. But if I got into a situation where I had read the hill wrong, the reverse could make all the difference.

To me, the bigger question is do you want bags & a windshield & cruise control? Since none of those are on a Pure (some bikes did have cruise control option), if you wanted them, it’d be a big expense to add. I use cruise control all the time on my Classic, to me it is more necessary than reverse.

So been all over the map, not the world, and thinking if I get one (would only do so due to .9 finance for 60 deal) it will be a galaxy paint job Classic with mini-floor boards (seems maybe a better way to go than pegs as it gives a drop of room to move your feet). It comes with reverse, cruise, heated grips, guessing no heated seat.

I am ok, I am thinking, with the basic windscreen and unlock-able (too bad) bags. I am old school so do love black with white pin stripe plus the chrome on the base or Classic in that configuration is very nice indeed. Thinking, hoping, I could grow to really like the galaxy paint…and not feel it is over kill with all the color changing going on.

Will see what they can give me for my 2012 honda nc700x (manual) and go from there. Now three questions.
1. I believe some, maybe more then some, feel the stock seat is not that great. Suggestions? Ran across this seat on the net…is it any good?
2. It being the galaxy paint it is a bike that says ‘chrome don’t get you home’ cause it does not have much at all lol. Saw this head cover though don’t know if it replaces the stock one or screws on top of it. Plus don’t know if the galaxy heads can be polished up a bit to shine or if they are just a flat finish. Also, I am uncertain if I even like how they look lol. Anyone own them or suggestions?
3. Since it is a Classic would it do any good to the the bmw ‘highway’ bars that let you lay your feet on top? I sort of have mixed feelings about that due to reaction time if one needs to get the feet back to the controls. Don’t know, maybe just stock bmw engine guards would be the way to go.

The galaxy paint is nice bit would miss not have much chrome to see dancing in the sunlight…though guess that is what that paint job is for.

Attachments

• 4C7581FF-F450-45C2-8F4B-2E9A2E701F8E.jpeg
    4C7581FF-F450-45C2-8F4B-2E9A2E701F8E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • C22E9DE9-66EA-4D4B-B5FD-313B112D8B4B.jpeg
    C22E9DE9-66EA-4D4B-B5FD-313B112D8B4B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
If I had my time again re purchasing the R18 FE, I seriously don’t think I would!…..never mind having reverse or not.

If I had my time again re purchasing the R18 FE, I seriously don’t think I would!…..never mind having reverse or not.
I am with you on this, BMW has gone the extra mile to make living with this bike as painful as they can. I am elderly and this is my last bike, otherwise I would trade it in right now, though I love riding it ! ! !

I've used it perhaps 3 or 4 times..max. It's nice to have, but in all reality, the bike's low seat height makes Flinstone powered reverse very easy.

My dislike is the way BMW wraps their hands around your neck when it comes to service, they will not even give you the valve clearances ! !! I do my own maintenance.....

My dislike is the way BMW wraps their hands around your neck when it comes to service, they will not even give you the valve clearances ! !! I do my own maintenance.....
I was quoted aprox $150 for the valve service. That is reasonable imo, I can do the rest. No shim is required, just adjustment, every 6k.

I was quoted aprox $150 for the valve service. That is reasonable imo, I can do the rest. No shim is required, just adjustment, every 6k.
I do not think someone at a BMW service center would charge you 150 for a valve adjustment.... I love my bike, I just do not like BMW as a Company ! ! !

Back