Is the R18FE a Long Distance Capable Motorcycle?

Calboy

Do the guys that own one of the FE model see themselves taking it on long road trips? I mean something equal or exceeding 1,000 miles round trip.
I am readying mine with the addition of saddle bags and a comfortable seat. Don't even consider using a windshield no matter how long of a ride. I rode Harleys with no windshields mounted for most of the time.
I like the styling of this one and I really need to go old school and not alter the way the bike looks, because to me it's perfect the way it is.
But in all honesty, there's no way of knowing before I go on one of those long rides to either The Moab or Death Valley. Just wondering how you guys feel about it.

Jealous as hell! Moab or Death Valley on this bike would be a dream in my opinion. Did the same on a Road King and loved every minute of that too. Enjoy the journey.

I think it depends on you and what your tolerances are. When I was young I rode an '89 ZX7R probably 500 miles round trip and it didn't phase me. Today I take my Aprilia RSV4 60 miles and I'm ready to park it!

I could probably do it on my FE, just depends on the number of breaks and sites to see along the way...

Sure! But, as others alluded to, the stops happen more frequently as I get older.

/the go's too, if ya know what I'm saying:LOL:

I have enjoyed many long trips covering the lower 48, a good bit of Canada and Alaska on Standards, Sport-Touring bikes, Adventure bikes and "Baggers" and all were a blast within obvious design limitations.

I think little annoyances on a "day ride" can become a real kill joy when present over many days and many miles and those are usually subjective issues like seat comfort or clean v. dirty air, etc. These are easily addressed if need be and based on how consistently good the R18 FE/Classic handles our Appalachian Mountains roads as well as moseying along at 90+MPH on the freeways I will be using her for exactly the type of travel you describe (and longer ones too as it becomes "wash and repeat" after the first few days).

All this said, for me and how I travel planning a trip around it's limited petrol range is the biggest Achilles heel. On long trips using bikes with similar ranges it's been "OK", but on my GSA(s) and RT(s) where I easily and thankfully in a few desolate regions saw twice or more the range of the R18 I would think more of the ride rather where the next station was and how flexible I could be when an interesting detour presented itself, etc. BMW wisely addressed this with the larger tank on the R18 touring siblings and I wish it would fit our bikes. Anyway, too small a petrol capacity is an industry wide issue on all too many bikes nowadays, but that's a separate issue.

Enjoy!

I had the sidecar installed in Kentucky & headed back to Arizona now.A little over 3000 miles.
Recommend

1)I have a Corbin Heated seat.
2)Memphis Shades lowers
3)Clip on wind deflector(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RYLLVS1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)REALLY WORKS
The temps have been from 30 in the am to highs in the 70's
The extra wind deflectors really helped across Texas & Oklahoma

I will say,
I was gonna swap out/upgrade the rear(stiff) shock till I had the sidecar installed.She really rides plush.

Last point.I was gonna do my 6-8,000 mile rides for the 2 wheeler but I gotta tell ya.The R18C with the rig is titz!
Gas mileage does go down as I hit reserve around 100 on the OD.I did expect that.

Any bike can tour. Some will be more comfortable than others. Some might need to stop to stretch and refuel more often.

I’ve done 500 mile days on a S1000R… doable but more exhausting than other bikes. But if you are keeping mileage reasonable, say 250 miles/day with many breaks any bike will be fine.

I have ridden an FXR on many BBGs, the R1200RT on at least 6, the K1600 on 6, hell I road a Honda 250 on a SS 1000 in Brazil on Hwy 101, ride the R18 to doctors appointments and Dialysis on sunny days. Makes one hell of a Bobber, but Bobbers are like Hardtails and one inch peckers, Great for puttering around the house......

1520 miles.jpgHarley Aux Tank.jpgharleysunrise copy.JPGDevils Tower 2.jpgIMG_1460.JPGIMG_0547.jpgIMG_1932 copy.JPGIMG_1369.JPGIMG_2167.jpgDialysis.jpg

Last edited:
Jealous as hell! Moab or Death Valley on this bike would be a dream in my opinion. Did the same on a Road King and loved every minute of that too. Enjoy the journey.
Up until twelve or thirteen years ago I did see a lot of Germans, mainly, French and Dutch flying into Las Vegas and renting Harleys for rides into The Death Valley.
I remember chatting with some of them, and based on those conversations I realised that all they were trying to do was living the American Dream on two wheels.
An Easy Rider fairy tale of some sort.
Over the last nine or ten years I've seen none. I heard that Harleys cannot be rented any longer, so I assume that explains the lack of European riders in The Valley.
It kinda sucks because all of us were sharing bike stories...

Interesting. That’s what we did. Four vets who hadn’t met in 30 years. Rented Harleys in LA and did 2000 miles through California, Nevada and Utah to name three States. Did that 10 years ago and loved every minute of it. Once home, bought myself a Fat Bob but once back in UK, it just didn’t feel the same. Harley does have a strong following in Europe but I was never able to capture the same essence as when in the States. Let’s see what this R18 Classic does for me.

Interesting. That’s what we did. Four vets who hadn’t met in 30 years. Rented Harleys in LA and did 2000 miles through California, Nevada and Utah to name three States. Did that 10 years ago and loved every minute of it. Once home, bought myself a Fat Bob but once back in UK, it just didn’t feel the same. Harley does have a strong following in Europe but I was never able to capture the same essence as when in the States. Let’s see what this R18 Classic does for me.
You live in the UK, 227 laps on the M25 does not qualify as a long journey, sort of.

Harley as was and now it’s replacement.
You live in the UK, 227 laps on the M25 does not qualify as a long journey, sort of.
Maybe not but 227 laps on the M25 sure feels like a long journey. :)

Attachments

• 99140BB9-CE45-435D-BA0B-39B4F42599DB.jpeg
    99140BB9-CE45-435D-BA0B-39B4F42599DB.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 70E3DB47-EA9E-4E49-88E1-F948BDF76BF6.jpeg
    70E3DB47-EA9E-4E49-88E1-F948BDF76BF6.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
It's the same the other way around. Jaguars and Land Rovers don't feel the same here as they do there. But it's probably more to do with the circumstances around the event, than the actual vehicle. You had an amazing vacation with a bunch of buddies. That can't ever be replicated. Any attempts are mere shadows*

*except Aston Martin. They're amazing everywhere.

Like the essence of the blues here in The States vs any other country (England included) or any other continent. American blues, the one and only.

Live in Glastonbury :
A definitive lesson in blues.
Enjoy!

R18C is a good tourer but needs a better seat. I have fitted a Corbyn but not yet done a good days riding on it since. Certainly feels a lot more comfortable.. The fuel tank at 16 Litres is limiting but this is mitigated by very good mpg once the engine is run in. Around 60 mpg imp at a steady 70 to 75 mph.. For such a big bike handling on tight twisty back roads is a delight.

R18C is a good tourer but needs a better seat. I have fitted a Corbyn but not yet done a good days riding on it since. Certainly feels a lot more comfortable.. The fuel tank at 16 Litres is limiting but this is mitigated by very good mpg once the engine is run in. Around 60 mpg imp at a steady 70 to 75 mph.. For such a big bike handling on tight twisty back roads is a delight.
Good to hear. I did my first refill this afternoon since the bike was delivered yesterday. Measured was 39 MPG US, instrument cluster claimed 38 MPG. Mostly back roads with a lot of throttle variation. If 50 MPG US is possible after break in on highway, would 45 be possible on back roads?

Good to hear. I did my first refill this afternoon since the bike was delivered yesterday. Measured was 39 MPG US, instrument cluster claimed 38 MPG. Mostly back roads with a lot of throttle variation. If 50 MPG US is possible after break in on highway, would 45 be possible on back roads?
After 2000 miles there was a considerable improvement in MPG. I found my R18 motor very tight when new and ran it in old school. By that I mean in a progressive manner. It was pleasant feeling it loosen up as the miles increased.

After 2000 miles there was a considerable improvement in MPG. I found my R18 motor very tight when new and ran it in old school. By that I mean in a progressive manner. It was pleasant feeling it loosen up as the miles increased.
You mean like I did my 1966 Pan, or the 1972 Shovel?

Back