Just got on board

Welcome. This is the place to be for all things R18ish. We all seem to appreciate the work of art that is the BMW R18.

I just ordered the expensive BMW Winglets for the fairing. Hopefully, they fit. Next I’ll order the TC Windshield. I recently did a demo on a TC. Absolutely no turbulence with the tall windshield and winglets. My R18B will shake your head with turbulence.
Welcome 👋🏻

The winglets don’t fit the B without modification. I’ve seen one member trim them, another did the TC light bar setup.

I just ordered the expensive BMW Winglets for the fairing. Hopefully, they fit. Next I’ll order the TC Windshield. I recently did a demo on a TC. Absolutely no turbulence with the tall windshield and winglets. My R18B will shake your head with turbulence.
Attached is the installation of the Winglets, Auxiliary Lights and new Blinkers on my Model-B; the Winglets interfere with the Model-B blinkers which are mounted to the fork cap of the shock. The Blinkers will start to develop a scuff mark from rubbing with the winglets due to vibration.

Attachments

• R 18 Model B Installation of TC Auxiliary Lights and Winglets.pdf
    8.1 MB · Views: 25
Attached is the installation of the Winglets, Auxiliary Lights and new Blinkers on my Model-B; the Winglets interfere with the Model-B blinkers which are mounted to the fork cap of the shock. The Blinkers will start to develop a scuff mark from rubbing with the winglets due to vibration.
I just installed the winglets. They do in fact touch the turn signals in the closed position. I put a 1/2 “ piece of clear tubing where they touch the turn signals. Of course they are unable to be turned open without taking a dremel and trimming them. I’ll leave them as they are for now.
I must say they make an incredible difference in buffeting. Before installation I couldn’t open my face shield without getting a hurricane in the face. Even if I ducked behind the stock windshield, nothing changed. Now I can open the face shield and get some wind in the face, but when I duck down behind the windshield there is absolutely no wind in the face. Noise and turbulence are dramatically lowered. I’m only 5-6 and it’s amazing how those winglets perform. I have ordered the stock TC windshield which on the TC is amazing. In retrospect I probably should have bought the TC and just removed the rear box.

I keep getting reminded how glad I am to have the TC. Originally I wanted the B but a lucky turn of events got me the TC so I just removed the top box and got an enhanced B.
To all you B owners, if you can afford the winglets, TC windhshield, and lowers, you will be surprised how easy cold weather riding is. I rode in a t-shirt the other day in 60 degree weather. No problem. The winglets work.

I just installed the winglets. They do in fact touch the turn signals in the closed position. I put a 1/2 “ piece of clear tubing where they touch the turn signals. Of course they are unable to be turned open without taking a dremel and trimming them. I’ll leave them as they are for now.
I must say they make an incredible difference in buffeting. Before installation I couldn’t open my face shield without getting a hurricane in the face. Even if I ducked behind the stock windshield, nothing changed. Now I can open the face shield and get some wind in the face, but when I duck down behind the windshield there is absolutely no wind in the face. Noise and turbulence are dramatically lowered. I’m only 5-6 and it’s amazing how those winglets perform. I have ordered the stock TC windshield which on the TC is amazing. In retrospect I probably should have bought the TC and just removed the rear box.
I may consider the winglets, there was a guy on a FB group that had sprayed them black which looked a lot better IMO.
Not a fan of tall screens so I’ve ordered the short one and the mini indicators meaning there should be no rubbing issues if I do decide to add the winglets at a later date. Expensive for what they are considering the equivalent HD part is approx £130 vs approx £330 for the bmw version.

Painting them black seems like a good idea if a similar shade of gloss black can be found.
Does anyone have a closeup pic of how the winglets conflict with the turn signals on the B? Have some riders removed the turn signals and purchased the TC running lights? Using a dremel tool to file the plastic is a bummer.

If you're not planning on adding the TC Bracket, Auxiliary Lights and Directionals ($1,200 in parts); perhaps try installing the OEM mini-blinkers that BMW sells. The kit come equipped with the correct wiring harness connector and fit within the existing OEM mounting cap on the shock tower; they might be small enough to avoid making contact with the Winglets?

If you're not planning on adding the TC Bracket, Auxiliary Lights and Directionals ($1,200 in parts); perhaps try installing the OEM mini-blinkers that BMW sells. The kit come equipped with the correct wiring harness connector and fit within the existing OEM mounting cap on the shock tower; they might be small enough to avoid making contact with the Winglets?
Do you have the part number or other info. I cannot locate them, but sure sounds like a strong possibility to fix the winglet issue

Do you have the part number or other info. I cannot locate them, but sure sounds like a strong possibility to fix the winglet issue
https://www.shopbmwmotorcycles.com/...set-mini-led-blinkers-front-black-77515a1a282

I have some on order. My dealer said they’re sold singularly but I’m not so sure. Some places they’re described as a set as in the link above and some I’ve seen them described as a left or right indicator. Guess I won’t know for sure until they arrive but getting reimbursed for one of them would be great as they’re not cheap 😂 They will 100% fix the rubbing issue though.

Attachments

• R 18 LED-Blinker Install.pdf
    21.6 MB · Views: 38
https://www.shopbmwmotorcycles.com/...set-mini-led-blinkers-front-black-77515a1a282

I have some on order. My dealer said they’re sold singularly but I’m not so sure. Some places they’re described as a set as in the link above and some I’ve seen them described as a left or right indicator. Guess I won’t know for sure until they arrive but getting reimbursed for one of them would be great as they’re not cheap 😂 They will 100% fix the rubbing issue though.
The below link is for a set of mini-LED Blinkers; I typically use MAX BMW out of CT. They're very knowledgeable and ship parts out for free and fast..

Back