Lithium Batteries

You know Randy, there’s been so much bad press with lithium batteries bursting into flame ( in EV cars and electric scooters especially) I personally wouldn’t touch one with a barge poll. Is there a reason you don’t want the OEM? I use a CanBus trickle charger on mine and it goes first time every time.

... I do have a similar question ... is there a special reason to go away from tried and true AGM batteries and go to Lithium? I ride mine everyday and I seem to have no issues starting or otherwise ... IMO ... "if it ain't broke, don't fix it 'till it is" ... but if there is a good reason ... I am willing to listen ;)

You know Randy, there’s been so much bad press with lithium batteries bursting into flame ( in EV cars and electric scooters especially) I personally wouldn’t touch one with a barge poll. Is there a reason you don’t want the OEM? I use a CanBus trickle charger on mine and it goes first time every time.
I also heard a lot of bad press about lithium batteries, until one mechanic told me bullshit, buy a top rated one with high CCRs and you'll love it. It's much lighter, holds a charge 3 times as long as cell or gel batteries, has kick ass staring power, and will last much longer than any non lithium. So I put one in my Harley that had a 120Jims racing motor. And in my mind.....it "seemed" to make the bike run better.....kind of like when you put MSD ignition in a race car motor....who knows.....maybe it's in my head....

That's true for Lithium ION, but not Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) batteries. While they aren't as power-dense as Li-Ion, they have the added benefit of not blowing up on you if they get upset ;).

Mike

it's all taken way out of proportion, it's just because the electric cars are "new" that every time something happens, they report on it. In proportion to gas cars, electric cars are way more reliable. (can't speak for the scooters)

it's all taken way out of proportion, it's just because the electric cars are "new" that every time something happens, they report on it. In proportion to gas cars, electric cars are way more reliable. (can't speak for the scooters)
Tmas, I don’t personally want EV’s in my life but my comment was not meant to be anti for anti’s sake. In the UK there’s been many fires around the country attributed to charging products (like scooters, smart phones and yes EV’s), So much so that the Fire Brigade have said do not leave things like scooters unattended on charge (say overnight).

The OEM battery will be specified for the bike, saving a kilo on a 345kg bike means nothing. Does it actually need more CCA? Why create problems that aren’t there? That’s all I was saying.

I've been running a Shorai lithium battery in my GS for 6 years and it's worked well. It doesn't love temps below 40 though, I have to turn the ignition on for a few minutes before I start to warm the battery up to get starting amperage out of it. Outside of that it's been great. Any bike I plan to keep long term gets a Shorai battery. My V-rod had the same one in for 8 years when I sold it.

Still on the factory battery for my R18, so I can't offer input on what size to get.

I also have a lithium Antigravity battery in my GSA and the difference in cranking power is phenomenal. Just make sure that if you do convert to that type of battery you use the appropriate battery tender in the process.

BMW supply there bikes with Lithium batteries. The R18 is the exception having an AGM.. Commonsense suggests they had a reason for doing that. I suspect a very heavy flywheel might be a good reason.

Back