Little issues turned to likes on the R18C

D

Deleted member 939

When I first purchased my BMW R18C there were some features I did not like at first.After riding HDs for years plus having Indian Thunderstroke's the last 10 year it became clear I had some things to get used to.
I did own a couple BMWs back in the day, R80 & R100.Some Yamaha's RD350,XS Eleven and Z Kawasaki's.

My recommendation is ride your new bike and put some miles on it before you need to re-engineer or mod.

Here are some of the little issues I was gonna change when I got the bike.Again,these were my issues and maybe not yours.

1) I always change out the mufflers.
I put the optional black end caps on and kept the oem mufflers stock.Really like the oem mufflers now and definately won't mod or change espicially with the sidecar.Funny but It made me change my Rinehart mufflers on my Indian 116 stg3 to quiet her down.Picked up low end tq,go figure.I thought open pipes = more power.
2) No gas gauge
Now no issue as most fuel gauges aren't really that accurate.I find myself using the the odometer to average and calculate when the light comes on.The two odometers work pretty slick as one resets itself everyday,Like now.
3) Round mirrors issue,to small hard to use.I have not had round since the Kawasaki days.
Really got used to them and got them dialed in to see part of the sidecar.
4) Ride modes Why?
I just leave it in Rock no issue.
5) Linked brakes were a bit weird because applying the front engages the rear.
Really like it with the sidecar.Give me more control over the rig.
6) windshield to short.
Added a extention clip and wear a fullface helmet,Like it.
7) Star fasteners/bolts issue
No big deal now.Bought a set of sockets.
8) BMW costly service and re-setting the code idiot lights
Bought a device to turn off the code lights and I will service myself.
9) Dealer questions about accessories and maintenance,tq specs and other issues .
Joined this forum and found a world of knowledge and help with this new machine.Thx.

Fully agree with all your observations R18C, I also have reservations with the information ( or lack of it!) provided by the dealer…unfortunately nothing changes, once you have signed on the dotted line its like getting blood out of a stone re obtaining information about the systems installed.
Its all smoke and mirrors.

Fully agree with all your observations R18C, I also have reservations with the information ( or lack of it!) provided by the dealer…unfortunately nothing changes, once you have signed on the dotted line its like getting blood out of a stone re obtaining information about the systems installed.
Its all smoke and mirrors.
I'm just waiting for the secret service manual,LOL!

As a Classic owner who originally test rode the Pure, Im glad I made the move up. I'm relatively easy to please but when something bugs me, it seems to stick. I go into motorcycle purchases a little differently. I look at a bike and think, "If I can't spend the $$ (hey life happens) to mod it, would I still love the bike?" With the R18 Classic, it was a resounding "yes." Now the few mods I have made had significant impact for just a few $$. Case in point. I love the new Z900R and Triumph Speed Master as is but the R18C is pure artwork and is a better "retro classic."

Lower fork deflectors $100 - reduced air coming up over the tank. Much less wind in my chest.
Factory seat $200 (going to try a gel insert) project coming up
Windshield extension $35 - eliminated helmet buffeting.
Amber tint on running lights $9 vinyl roll - just adds a little uniqueness.

I will add a solo seat luggage rack and a corresponding bag so probably $400-$600 as the Classic bags are a tad small.
Oh, and a digital tire gauge. (y)
Outside of the seat on longer rides, this is by far and away the most fun ride I've ever had.

Last edited:
Back