Looking for a simple side license plate mount option

TodkaVonic

Site Supporter
Elite Member
Hi everyone. Try as I might, I cannot find a simple side license plate mount solution. There's big and expensive, big and ugly, ugly and expensive, and, interestingly, one from China on eBay that looks like a repurposed RNineT set-up. Has anyone found anything worth a recommendation? Has anyone done this modification? Black Dog, I see that you relocated your plate to the rear of the saddle. Did you somehow use the original LED? If no, does not having it attached throw any codes? I don't have any issues with not lighting my plate, but a fault code would annoy me.

Hi everyone. Try as I might, I cannot find a simple side license plate mount solution. There's big and expensive, big and ugly, ugly and expensive, and, interestingly, one from China on eBay that looks like a repurposed RNineT set-up. Has anyone found anything worth a recommendation? Has anyone done this modification? Black Dog, I see that you relocated your plate to the rear of the saddle. Did you somehow use the original LED? If no, does not having it attached throw any codes? I don't have any issues with not lighting my plate, but a fault code would annoy me.
I toyed with a side mounted plate, but. making it beefy enough to carry the license and light was just impracticle.
Adding the additional weight of cantilevered support strong enough to support its own weight was not worthy of the effort.
The thing would have to withstand the forces induced by extreme bouncing of the rear wheel, not to mention the added unsprung weight.
I have been behind more enough "Hardtails" throwing license mounts.

The issue with unsprung weight is simple — it offers no performance improvement whatsoever.
On the contrary, it reduces performance. More unsprung mass means that your suspension components have to work harder to keep the wheel on the ground.

The construction and mounting of the license was the most time consuming of the Bobber conversion.
Muti step process to achieve the clearances for the rear fender. If you look close at the pictures, the rear fender actually breaks the plane of the seat mount during full suspension compression.
No original wiring was cut or modified.
The license lights are after market LED Units using a plug from a Mini Cooper windshield washer wiring, although the stock license light can be cannibalized and the plug used.
The stock brake/signal lights were used which required machining custom mounting pods.
The key fob receiver can not be mounted directly to any metal surface, RF interference, note that stock it has its own plastic mount away from any metal part.
completed seat pan.JPGfull compression.JPGComplete2.JPG

Last edited:
Slight correction: the license plate connector (pictured) is not an exact match for the Mini Cooper washer jet connector. I know because I have a set for my turn signal mod and just tried it out. The license plate connector will fit but it does not click into place.
B95E7BF4-3DB4-4CDD-BD11-9F0E7A8545F5.jpeg
I’m looking for the exact counterpart. Haven’t found it yet.

Black Dog, while you were working on your bobber set up, did you ever start the bike without the license plate lamp connected? Did it throw an error code?

/I’d look myself but just got back from the dealership for an engine fault code. Not interested in seeing flashing ANYTHING on my dash🙂

Slight correction: the license plate connector (pictured) is not an exact match for the Mini Cooper washer jet connector. I know because I have a set for my turn signal mod and just tried it out. The license plate connector will fit but it does not click into place.
View attachment 2545

Black Dog, while you were working on your bobber set up, did you ever start the bike without the license plate lamp connected? Did it throw an error code?

/I’d look myself but just got back from the dealership for an engine fault code. Not interested in seeing flashing ANYTHING on my dash🙂
I have done it and it does show General warning light with the bulb symbol when not connected.

it's also appearst to be a mercedes part (trimmer plug part # 211-545-13-28).

The only female complementary connector i could find (after an extensive search) was ridiculously overpriced

This is the male counterpart (which appears to be the same as the BMW and Mercedes plug (it lists an exaustive number of applications, which i searched each one for the female housing without success).

may be best to just press the pins out (with a pinout tool, as it doesn't look like you have alot of wire left to work with) and start with another connector. however, if you find the appropriate female connector, please let me know.

Last edited:
View attachment 2545

The original license plate light can be canibalized, everything whittled away but the plug istelf, replacement is about $40 a similar plug would cost at least that much if not more.
Not that big of a deal, razor knife a a couple minutes.
I went for double lights an the Mini Cooper plug with heat shrink backup.
After all how often do you unhook the license light?
For comparison here is the BMW license plate light number and price.
63 21 8 525 576​
LICENSE PLATE LAMP, LED​
$42.80​

Last edited:
Thanks, Black Dog... that was really helpful. As you can see from TodkaVonic and my posts, it's extremely hard to find matching connectors. If TodkaVonic found a matching connector from a Mini Cooper (albeit not perfect), it would be nice to share the part number or link.

Thanks, Black Dog... that was really helpful. As you can see from TodkaVonic and my posts, it's extremely hard to find matching connectors. If TodkaVonic found a matching connector from a Mini Cooper (albeit not perfect), it would be nice to share the part number or link.
Ebay, is where I found it, no part numbers required.

Check out the first post,

Ninjabones, the number on mine is 872-841-501. If you search for Mini Cooper washer jet harness, you'll be on the right track.

Last edited:
View attachment 2545

you don't have to think about it anymore ;) product - plug in play is ready
Zrzut ekranu 2021-09-8 o 02.31.58.png

you don't have to think about it anymore ;) product - plug in play is ready
View attachment 2546
Yeah, that's the connector for the front signals. What would be helpful, since I can tell that you really just want to be helpful, is having the connector for the license plate light, or the rear signals/brake light, or the rear wire loom (I know how to get this one, but it'd still be nice to have options). This, this post right here, isn't particularly helpful. Oh and support this site, Tom. You sell things here. You promote your products here. You really ought to be supporting the site.

yes: one for one signal. also fits the license plate illumination
Fits but does not click into place, so not water tight, so pretty much worthless. Just stop.

I wanna like you Tom, I really do. You're probably a nice guy, but your posts seem consistently self-serving. The impression I have, after reading countless posts and interactions, is that more than anything, you're MOST interested in selling products. This could be fine and all, IF you were a site sponsor who was available to answer questions about your products, like in countless other Internet forums. Unfortunately, you continue to skirt the topic and overall seem less interested in being 100% honest or helpful with this community, and that sucks because it's a good group who could use your help and expertise.

Last edited:
Back