Looks pretty simple and straightforward

At this point I am confident I could tear the front forks down and reassemble them fairly easily. I do have the proper equipment and now I have the experience.
I was going tackle the front suspension next year. I did not know that emulators were available for the R18. Do you have a link?
These are the emulators they sent me.... probally a week or so before I install them with the Wilbers springs and 7.5w fork oil.

20230601_154104.jpg

Question on the Wilbers rear shock. Is it better than the stock for the R18b? I ask this because for what I read the Ws are definitely an improvement over the stock for the R18 - and I definitely don’t love taking a long curve even at 65mph with my R18, but I do feel that the R18b is extremely well planted even at faster speeds. Thoughts?

I don't like your chances getting an informed first hand answer to that.... a b owner and a pure (or classic) owner that had fitted a Wilbers rear shock to their pure/classic at some stage...... and regularly reads and comments in this forum!

Fwiw... with my "pure".... with stock shock.... with preload set.... tyre air pressures set etc.... I have/had no concerns with high speed corners..... however.... high speed with sharpish mid corner bumps was less then ideal.... but that is forks as well etc.... (I find my pure confidence inspiring doing say 70mph around a signed 50mph corner as an example... but I would be actively riding on a road I know.. not zoned out cruising).

And... now with the Wilbers rear shock.... I will say.... 3.5" of travel will have it's limitations no matter what. FWIW..... i have a high speed open road railway crossing just outside of my town..... with a sharp bend each side of it.... that I use as a part of my bike suspension set up test.... on my r nine t scrambler with new aftermarket suspension I can stay seated at 50mph going over it..... R 18 is 30mph with the Wilbers.... so everything is relative. I did try 50ish.... big mistake.

Last edited:
Thank you for the part # YSS. I cannot find them yet, but I have already had my front forks off and apart. Going to do it again, have a leaking seal.

Where did you purchase them. I am in USA. I have the progressive rear shock on with the original spring that came on the bike. The rear is beautiful.

David
23,000 miles

I don't like your chances getting an informed first hand answer to that.... a b owner and a pure (or classic) owner that had fitted a Wilbers rear shock to their pure/classic at some stage...... and regularly reads and comments in this forum!

Fwiw... with my "pure".... with stock shock.... with preload set.... tyre air pressures set etc.... I have/had no concerns with high speed corners..... however.... high speed with sharpish mid corner bumps was less then ideal.... but that is forks as well etc.... (I find my pure confidence inspiring doing say 70mph around a signed 50mph corner as an example... but I would be actively riding on a road I know.. not zoned out cruising).

And... now with the Wilbers rear shock.... I will say.... 3.5" of travel will have it's limitations no matter what. FWIW..... i have a high speed open road railway crossing just outside of my town..... with a sharp bend each side of it.... that I use as a part of my bike suspension set up test.... on my r nine t scrambler with new aftermarket suspension I can stay seated at 50mph going over it..... R 18 is 30mph with the Wilbers.... so everything is relative. I did try 50ish.... big mistake.
I think that the R18 B-TC are almost 2X the weight of the Pure has to contribute to just how much improvement can be realized in a situation like your test is creating. I'd be interested in the before and after results on the bikes if you recall those results and would share please?

I've spent $$ on many bikes suspension over the years from Koni and Bilstein in ancient times to more current full set up Ohlins (shocks, forks stabilizers), Wilbers and Tractive units being fine tuned on a shock dyno. I'm pleased riding the R18 "for what it is"and not looking to spend "Ohlins" money as I just don't think the platform is going to get that much better v. more "basic" upgrades being the better ROI.

Anyway, appreciate you and others (David R) sharing your experiences with the rest of us.

🍻

Back