Lost Wireless key fob

RedEagle

Hello, I lost/misplaced my key fob for my Transcontinental. I cannot locate instructions in the manual as to where to place the plastic emergency key.

If trouble getting it to work through the seat from the top, I was able to reach in under the rear fender beneath the seat. I reached in on the right side behind the side cover and then up and forward you'll feel a sort of inset area. Holding the temp key there should allow you to do stuff.

I just spent an hour trying to get the plastic emergency key to allow me to start my 2022 Transcontinental with no luck. It has a stock heated seat. I pushed it into the foam seat in many different places. Being a Transcontinental removing the seat is not going to be fun. I read the manual cover to cover with no reference to using the plastic key.

Reactions: Vyk
I was able to get my spare key to operate the bike, unlock steering, etc.. reach under the fender beneath the seat to a point under a few inches forward from the crease in the seat.. it's a tight fit.. i took the key off the ring to make it easier, reached in from the right side just to the rear of the side panel and then forward and up..... i reached with the key in left hand and operated controls with right. removing the seat is an option but that's easier when you can open the top-case to remove the backrest pad and get at the seat screw more better.

from a R18TC manual online: https://manuals.bmw-motorrad.com/de/rider-manual :

Should you loose the radio-operated key while riding, the motorcycle can be started by using the spare key. If the battery in the radio-operated key is drained, the vehicle can be started by simply dipping the folded-in radio-operated key into the ring antenna under the seat. Removing the seat ( 66). Insert spare key or the dead folded in radio-operated key 1 into the ring antenna 2. The spare key or dead, folded-in, radio operated key must be inserted into the opening of the circular antenna.

hope this helps!

Last edited:
i'd expect it's just like when the battery dies on the remote, you'd have to use the proximity feature to turn the bike on, then it'd be ok until it's turned off again,.. although there would likely be an alert to dismiss and a warning light to ignore

Correct, must be close to the receiver under the seat. I could not get it to work so I went to dealer today. He reached under the seat from the right side of the bike with it in his hand and got it to work.

Back