Lurker looking at an R18B purchase

JTM65

Hi, long time rider, with a few BMWs in my past. Currently rehabilitating an06 Street Glide, but intrigued by the new "Big Boxer" and considering a change. So far a lot of great info and really looking forward to a test ride this week.

JT

The boxer is beautiful to ride and to look at. Perfect middle ground between the naked and more raw FE and the full dresser.

Edit. If I were a one bike guy that would be my easy choice.

Last edited:
Going to take a test ride on Friday. I've heard a lot about vibration, but I have an 06 Street Glide now and don't find it objectionable so I am not expecting the R18B will bother me 😆

I test rode the R18B last weekend and absolutely loved it. I had a stage 2 Street Glide Special 107 prior to getting my base R18 FE and other than engine sound the BMW is better in every way.

Well rode the R18B and it is a great bike. But the financing deal through BMW for 0.9 is not available at this dealership and although the FE stuff is great, it is not worth it for me without the financing. Will say that having owned smaller boxers in the past the 1800 feels about the same. I do suspect that a lot of those experiencing more vibration can tame that a bit with a very OCD valve adjustment.

JT

Well rode the R18B and it is a great bike. But the financing deal through BMW for 0.9 is not available at this dealership and although the FE stuff is great, it is not worth it for me without the financing. Will say that having owned smaller boxers in the past the 1800 feels about the same. I do suspect that a lot of those experiencing more vibration can tame that a bit with a very OCD valve adjustment.

JT
The 0.9 is available at all dealers in the US, as long as your score gets you in the range to qualify. But, there are tiers like any purchase. Check another dealer! Sounds like BS to me.

The R18 family of bikes is totally unique. No other manufacturer comes close to the beautiful optics of the big boxer.

It might be a regional thing that prevents the .9 rate if your credit score is high enough. Prior I was checking a custom browned paint job on a R18FE in CA and the dealer said they might not be able to offer that rate since I was in FL. Could be maybe they could if they wanted to. Turns out it was like a $20k bike and I could not justify that kind of $ even though it had a pick ass paint job.

Hi, long time rider, with a few BMWs in my past. Currently rehabilitating an06 Street Glide, but intrigued by the new "Big Boxer" and considering a change. So far a lot of great info and really looking forward to a test ride this week.

JT
I have had my R18 over four months now and over 3000 miles, all smiles for me... I am really curious about the folks who complain about engine heat on their feet ??? I could get my feet warm if I rode barefoot and kept my feet on the cylinders, short of that I see no way to get HOT Feet riding this bike... just my two cents ! ! !

I don't feel any engine heat on my feet in spite of the fact they are very close to the chrome intake covers (I have ten inch long floorboards).
BMW built an oil path jacket around the exhaust valve which explains why you can touch the chrome heads immediately after shutdown.
The heat is jettisoned out the front where direct convection air carries it away.
Very good design quite frankly.
My HD touring bike will burn your right shin and calf if you don't where long pants.

I have had my R18 over four months now and over 3000 miles, all smiles for me... I am really curious about the folks who complain about engine heat on their feet ??? I could get my feet warm if I rode barefoot and kept my feet on the cylinders, short of that I see no way to get HOT Feet riding this bike... just my two cents ! ! !
never had an issue with heat

Bagger is awesome !!!!
I felt the bagger's handlebar is much heavier than the R18/classic. Do you find that extra weight troubleing?
Seriously trying to decide between the classic and bagger. I know the bagger has more juice just for $6K more, but the classic looks good too and easier to handle around in very low speed.

I felt the bagger's handlebar is much heavier than the R18/classic. Do you find that extra weight troubleing?
Seriously trying to decide between the classic and bagger. I know the bagger has more juice just for $6K more, but the classic looks good too and easier to handle around in very low speed.
I am trying to decide on that possibility for me. I have the classic and thinking to trade for the Bagger. Is that worth it? I am not sure. For me, it might be, just because it will allow me to ride more in the colder months. On the other hand, I think the classic looks better (more unique), easier to handle, and considerably better deal as we are talking about two bikes with the same motor...

I am trying to decide on that possibility for me. I have the classic and thinking to trade for the Bagger. Is that worth it? I am not sure. For me, it might be, just because it will allow me to ride more in the colder months. On the other hand, I think the classic looks better (more unique), easier to handle, and considerably better deal as we are talking about two bikes with the same motor...
Are you saying the classic has more wind buffeting or has more wind coming through the windshield that makes the classic a harder ride in cold weather?
Can you share your height?

you won't regret going with the Bagger i did coming from a classic .

Yesterday I rode my Classic to the Trader Joe's nearest my home and so much enjoyed the ride, I thought with the small bags, I get another run today, two trips is much better than one ! ! ! the Joy of the Classic !! ! ! jp

Are you saying the classic has more wind buffeting or has more wind coming through the windshield that makes the classic a harder ride in cold weather?
Can you share your height?
Both: I believe the classic has more wind buffering and less upper body wind protection than the bagger. On the hand, the classic, IMHO, has more of a unique & timeless look, it's easier to handdle, and it's has the choice to ride with or without a windshield... In other words: Day rides = Classic. Longer trips = Bagger? That is the conclussion I am coming to. Now I have to decide that part...
I am 5'9''.

Back