Lurker looking at an R18B purchase

I am trying to decide on that possibility for me. I have the classic and thinking to trade for the Bagger. Is that worth it? I am not sure. For me, it might be, just because it will allow me to ride more in the colder months. On the other hand, I think the classic looks better (more unique), easier to handle, and considerably better deal as we are talking about two bikes with the same motor...
The weight of the bagger fairing forces the rider to counter steer on slow speed turning. But how much time do you spend doing low speed turns? Rarely!
About the only thing you need to learn is to brace your left leg when starting the bike. The sudden increase in engine rotation causes a split second of conservation torque to the left.

Most people are not trained in the physical laws that are all around them. And the strange thing is they are unchanging.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most people are not trained in the physical laws that are all around them. And the strange thing is these are unchanging.
And apparently we know so little about them. Lol. ok I can appreciate how people really don’t understand counter steering (the weight of the fairing has zero to do with it) , but the funny one is gravity. Lol. People actually think lighter things fall slower than heavy things.

Last edited:
I went from a Base First Edition (Larger front wheel vs Classic) to a Transcontinental(TC; very similar to Bagger but with a top case, larger windscreen and wind deflectors).

For me. the TC handles much better than the Base Model. It's easier to steer and flick around. The only time the TC is harder to handle vs the Base is when lifting it off of the kickstand. I'm a small guy and if I have problems based on where it's parked, I turn the bar to the right all the way and lift it off the kickstand.

I think the ease of handling is due to a combination of a better leveraging handlebar, different rake and higher rear end.

With the Base model I also had an issue with the handlebar not progressively turning. After a certain angle, the front wants to fold in that direction rapidly. My guess is this is due to the rake and the lack of steering damper (I believe the Classic comes with a damper). Of course with time and practice, it was not an issue but I'm not feeling the same "issue" with the TC.

I think the Base and the Classic look sooo good, better than the Bagger and the Transcontinental but the latter is just soo much easier to ride.

This is a difficult and quite personal choice.

The Classic and the B are so different, in large part because of the electronics suite on the B. Mine has active cruise, the huge media screen, 4 big speakers, radio, nav, streaming music, heated seat, and e-suspension.

I'm saying this as a way of reintroducing myself to the forum. I sold my Classic last year and made a brief foray into Ducati-land. Given the recent discount and financing on the B, and my affinity for my local BMW dealer, MAX BMW in Connecticut, I bit on a new bagger last week. It's pretty amazing.

I scored a first edition demo, with about 75 miles on the odometer, and they threw in the first service and an extra 6-months on the warranty.

For me, it's probably the R-18 I should hav bought first time. I'm a one-bike guy, and this one does it all.

It's good to be back and to see so many of the people I remember from this forum!

I went from a Base First Edition (Larger front wheel vs Classic) to a Transcontinental(TC; very similar to Bagger but with a top case, larger windscreen and wind deflectors).

For me. the TC handles much better than the Base Model. It's easier to steer and flick around. The only time the TC is harder to handle vs the Base is when lifting it off of the kickstand. I'm a small guy and if I have problems based on where it's parked, I turn the bar to the right all the way and lift it off the kickstand.

I think the ease of handling is due to a combination of a better leveraging handlebar, different rake and higher rear end.

With the Base model I also had an issue with the handlebar not progressively turning. After a certain angle, the front wants to fold in that direction rapidly. My guess is this is due to the rake and the lack of steering damper (I believe the Classic comes with a damper). Of course with time and practice, it was not an issue but I'm not feeling the same "issue" with the TC.

I think the Base and the Classic look sooo good, better than the Bagger and the Transcontinental but the latter is just soo much easier to ride.
Good input, you are the first owner I have read mentions lack of steering damper on the base model (though figure it has been mentioned on the site else where one figures). My dealer did mention it when I was saying how bmw was charging some much extra just for cruise control on a R18FE vs R18Fe without. Thought that was of interest. Course my /5 had one as well…thinking it might have even been some patch of leather at the bottom to create friction when tighten.

So now BMW can use the bagger or tc frame setup and make a better R18 model without fairing…which I realize they won’t do.

FYI back when they had different discounts BMW have buyers $1500 off if you bought a bike without cruise. So there is apparently some value perceived or not.

Edit. I had no desire for cruise in my pure. No long and grinding roads for this ride. That said if I had a bagger or TC I would opt for the adaptive cruise. In fact I would never buy one with regular cruise. Once you try it you will understand.

YMMV

FYI back when they had different discounts BMW have buyers $1500 off if you bought a bike without cruise. So there is apparently some value perceived or not.

Edit. I had no desire for cruise in my pure. No long and grinding roads for this ride. That said if I had a bagger or TC I would opt for the adaptive cruise. In fact I would never buy one with regular cruise. Once you try it you will understand.

YMMV
Cruise is the one thing I wish my R18 had. The demo R18B I rode had the adaptive cruise and I thought it was phenomenal when I tried it. I’d read somewhere it didn’t pick up other bikes but I came up behind one and it worked flawlessly. My 7 series doesn’t even have it which did make me laugh a little but I’d agree with you, I wouldn’t have one without it.

Currently unable to order an R18B here with it fitted which is one reason I ruled out a 23 model in mineral white. There is a complete retrofit kit listed but who know when that will be available when they can’t supply them for factory builds.

Cruise is the one thing I wish my R18 had. The demo R18B I rode had the adaptive cruise and I thought it was phenomenal when I tried it. I’d read somewhere it didn’t pick up other bikes but I came up behind one and it worked flawlessly. My 7 series doesn’t even have it which did make me laugh a little but I’d agree with you, I wouldn’t have one without it.

Currently unable to order an R18B here with it fitted which is one reason I ruled out a 23 model in mineral white. There is a complete retrofit kit listed but who know when that will be available when they can’t supply them for factory builds.
They are avail. Two here with adaptive in seattle. Fe black with pins and 1 pretty blue meth metallic.

Edit. Oops. 2022.

Last edited:
Back