Maintaining tire pressure, Valve stem access on R 18 B

Pork Rind

Site Supporter
Just got through with adding air pressure to the rear my HD Sport Glide. Not a young and flexible spring chicken any more, but the bags are quick release removable on Sport Glide, and even then, with disc rotor on one side and big pulley on the other side with belt protector, it's not the easiest to get in there to thread an adapater on to add air pressure on the rear tire.

So, since I'm considering buying a R 18 B and the bags on the BMW are not quick removable.... is there a trick or secret to adding air to the rear tire, since both bags are not removable, and the tail pipes and rear fender hang a long ways off the back?

Any tricks or tips or secrets to make it more manageable before I think of buying one of these?

No secret here, just rotate your rear tire so you can see the plug on the bottom half of the tire, kneel down and plug air hose in. I am using the Ryobi 18v digital gage cordless 20" hose air pressure inflator.

BMW does a good job, with ergonomics. they come with valve stems facing the right side, so when the bike is on its kick stand, all you have to do is position the valve stem most comfortable for you to reach. I've done it twice, wasn't difficult at all.

Keep in mind the R18B has Tire Pressure Monitors that will display your tire pressures once you have driven a short distance and will alert you to under or over inflation conditions too. I find I have lost more air when checking pressures rather the very small amount over extended periods of time (a couple of exceptions that were a bit more porous). The "TPM" prevents me from creating a problem where one didn't exist to begin with and when I do check and/or adjust pressure I use a gauge with a flexible line that clamps on that incorporates a valve where I can easily add or release air without constant "back and forth" with the hose and gauge to get pressure corrected. I use this cyclepumps version with a 90* chuck and there are several other brands with digital displays as well.
https://bestrestproducts.com/shop/c...edition-tire-inflator/cyclepump-ez-air-gauge/

Back