Marshall Speakers vs Loud Pipes

• Thread starter Deleted member 1344
  • Start date

Do you prefer Loud Pipes or Marshall Music?

• Loud Pipes

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Marshall Music

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member 1344

The Marshall speakers are clearly superior to what I have had in the past on Harley, but I also have a leaning toward loud pipes.
It is tempting to consider the Freedom Performance or the Jekyl and Hyde options but this flies in the face of wanting to hear from the speakers.

The poll question is a bit tricky, I like the sound of my Dr. Jekill & Mr. Hyde exhaust pipes in "Mr. Hyde" mode; however, I also like the sound quality of the Marshall sounds system. The sound & navigation system and the ability to stream music was the primary reason for selling the GS Adventure, and on jumping on the R 18 B-wagon; with that said, the new exhaust doesn't washout the sound of the Marshall system. (At least I haven't noticed a trade-off)

The J-&-H definitely trumps the sewing machine OEM exhaust system, it does allow the exhaust sound to be changed for those of us sneaking out of the neighborhood at O'Dark30; however it's a little expensive compared to the Vance & Hines system. Plus I have that little added stress in the back of my head, imagining the J-&-H SmartBox, and or one of the servo motors failing due to being an active device; vs the Vance & Hines, which is just the OEM replacement of the passive exhaust system.

If I had to do the exhaust system again; I'd probably go with the Vance & Hines based on price, providing I had to opportunity to see and hear it prior to making the choice. Don't misinterpret the J-&-H stuff, it's super high quality and I love the look; it's just pretty expensive when compared side-by-side.

In short, I'll vote exhaust "Loud Pipes" as it is the one thing missing from the R 18 off the show room floor.

I have the Freedom 4.5in exhaust with BugBike cat delete headers. My TC is loud. And with all the exhaust work I have done I still have zero issues hearing the stereo. On the highway with a modular helmet on and no issues at all hearing stereo. BTW I served in the field artillery, shoot guns, 30 years as a factory worker and have some hearing loss. I also seem to be able to have 4 to 5 "lines" left of volume that I never feel the need to access while riding.

Attachments

• IMG_20221001_082032954_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221001_082032954_HDR.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 17
At our Fall biker rally, the vendor area had two companies who specialize in motorcycle audio installs. I went to both of them and simply asked the question - "Is there a solution you can offer that would give me better bass without the muddy bottomed-out sound of the Marshall system." Both of them looked at me like I had two heads and said "Yeah dude, we don't touch BMW's." Shaking my damned head...

I feel like my R 18 B is perfectly dialed in for me; I'm 5' 9" and wear a half helmet for the most part, which allows me to wear my reading glasses (now I can see the analog gauges), where I can flip down an integrated sun visor within the helmet.

The fairing wind deflectors "winglet" help a lot during Fall riding; that said, I still find the sound system to be one of my favorite attributes on my bike - I have it set to "balance" and it sounds great at all speeds.

That stock windscreen looks great and works well for my riding position; the turbulence appears to hit just at the top of my helmet's leading edge.

I'm looking to add the TC lower leg wind protection; the required parts are pretty expensive though (regardless if they are ordered painted or not painted, still North of $1k)

Agree with Scott! The TC's stock windscreen is perfect for me. Puts the wind at my forehead / hairline. I'm 5'10". This is the first bike I've owned that I didn't want to upgrade the stock screen.

Agree with Scott! The TC's stock windscreen is perfect for me. Puts the wind at my forehead / hairline. I'm 5'10". This is the first bike I've owned that I didn't want to upgrade the stock screen.
I think the TC wind screen is slightly taller than the B model wind screen.

Back