Michelin commander III poor in wet ?

I haven't had any problems with Commander IIs on my Victory Cross Country or the new Michelin IIIs now on my R18 Classic. Many cross country trips in all types of weather to include "bow wave" deep water and slushy snow covering mountain two lanes to Interstates with good wear, predictable handling during "spirited" riding to include "peg to peg" handling expectations, etc. Worst "cruiser" tire for me was the original Dunlop that routinely kicked out as you describe your Michelin experience and also would easily lock up when almost stopped on any kind of damp pavement (I'm a fairly proficient rider that isn't ham fisted with throttle or brakes), that was much improved with the Dunlop 3 and 4 versions.

Anyway, we all have our favorites and while I know they all can be pushed to amazing levels that I likely will never surpass, I too wouldn't spend money on one that just didn't make me feel connected with that consistency that allows me to trust it. Good luck and before they go away maybe try + and - a few LBS to see the results as air pressure does impact wet riding tremendously (play with the math formulas used in hydroplaning calculations, it's very informative).

Let us know how the new tires work for you 🍻

Reactions: SPR
Just did an 800+ mile round trip through California on new Michelin Commander 3 touring tires on my R18B. Tires are both Q3 2023 production.

Can safely say bike had no issues at speed (3500 RPM in 6th gear). Was as smooth, if not smoother, than the stock Bridgestones my bike came with. Bike has about 4K miles on it. I switched because my rear had a puncture and needed to be replaced anyway. But after my debacle with my R18 pure, I decided to switch the front tire as well. Not to mention this video from Fortnine gave me pause about any bike's stock tires, hence my decision to just have both switched.

Conditions were cold and wet in the Northern parts. No issues with traction.

I will say the tires definitely feel like they want to lean into a turn more so than the stock tires, likely due to their higher profile. Some people may like that, others may not.

One odd thing I have noticed, however, is at approximately 30mph in 3rd gear there is a very slight hum/vibration. I am not sure yet if its the bike or the new tires, because it only seems to present itself while in that specific gear. Has anyone experienced anything similar? I am slightly worried it could be drivetrain related given the feeling presents itself in a very specific spot.

Last edited:
Just did an 800+ mile round trip through California on new Michelin Commander 3 touring tires on my R18B. Tires are both Q3 2023 production.

Can safely say bike had no issues at speed (3500 RPM in 6th gear). Was as smooth, if not smoother, than the stock Bridgestones my bike came with. Bike has about 4K miles on it. I switched because my rear had a puncture and needed to be replaced anyway. But after my debacle with my R18 pure, I decided to switch the front tire as well. Not to mention this video from Fortnine gave me pause about any bike's stock tires, hence my decision to just have both switched.

I will say the tires definitely feel like they want to lean into a turn more so than the stock tires, likely due to their higher profile. Some people may like that, others may not.

One odd thing I have noticed, however, is at approximately 30mpd in 3rd gear there is a very slight hum/vibration. I am not sure yet if it’s the bike or the new tires, because it only seems to present itself while in that specific gear. Has anyone experienced anything similar? I am slightly worried it could be drivetrain related given the feeling presents itself in a very specific spot.
Many of my tires have offered various levels of “humming” on different pavement types, lean angles or as they have worn with some being downright obnoxious. I am very careful with air pressure and it has been with different manufacturers with sport touring, adventure tires and cruiser tires too.

I am going to guess it is the new tread pattern at a certain speed combined with pavement conditions that you are hearing, but a simple way to separate driveline from engine and transmission is to get to where the condition is present and simply pull in the clutch, hold for a few seconds and then release it. Repeat a few times and you should be able to determine if it’s “upstream or downstream” from the clutch and then assess as prudent.

One odd thing I have noticed, however, is at approximately 30mph in 3rd gear there is a very slight hum/vibration. I am not sure yet if its the bike or the new tires, because it only seems to present itself while in that specific gear. Has anyone experienced anything similar? I am slightly worried it could be drivetrain related given the feeling presents itself in a very specific spot.
If you are still experiencing the "hum" sound; perhaps, it's is the housing that covers the top of the front shock on the TC & Model B? The housing is metal, and it will ring like a bell if you knock on it; the blinker directional Mounting bracket is what anchors the covers on the Model B.

I tightened the two torx screws that attached the covers to the directional mounts, as well as placed a couple pieces of furniture felt tape (the stuff that keeps furniture from scratching wood floors) inside the covers to reduce the ringing sound that I hear at low speeds, and on less than perfectly smooth roadways. The above mentioned was bothering me for some time, and I think I fixed it as I don't hear the "hum" noise any longer.

Back