Microsoft's Copilot (AI) comparison of the BMW R 18 Classic vs H-D Heritage Classic 114

emgarciax

Site Supporter
Pretty much on point.

Sure, I can compare the BMW R 18 Classic and the Harley-Davidson Heritage Classic 114 for you. These are two of the most popular cruiser motorcycles with touring capabilities, and they have some similarities and differences in their features, performance, and style.

According to the web search results, both bikes have retro design cues, wire-spoked 16-inch wheels, and leather-skinned saddlebags1. They also have approximately the same size air-cooled engines—1802cc for the BMW and 1868cc for the Harley—with comparable torque peaks. At 116 ft-lbs for the BMW and 119 ft-lbs of torque for the H-D, we’re talking the margin of error.

However, there are also some notable differences between the two bikes. The BMW R 18 Classic has a horizontally opposed twin engine, while the Harley-Davidson Heritage Classic 114 has a 45-degree V-twin engine. The BMW engine has a more distinctive look, with its enormous cylinders sticking out each side of the engine case, right in front of the rider’s shins. The Harley engine has a more traditional and familiar feel, with its chrome and fenders.

The BMW R 18 Classic also has a lower seat height, a more upright seating position, and a lower handlebar than the Harley-Davidson Heritage Classic 114. The BMW feels more like you are on the bike than in it, while the Harley feels more like a cockpit1. The BMW has a more limited legroom, due to the big cylinders, while the Harley has more spacious floorboards1. The BMW has a more modern and minimalist dashboard, while the Harley has a more classic and cluttered one.

The BMW R 18 Classic has a higher power output, at 91 hp, than the Harley-Davidson Heritage Classic 114, which has 81 hp. The BMW also has a higher top speed, at 111 mph, than the Harley, which has a top speed of 105 mph34. However, the Harley has a better fuel economy, at 43 mpg, than the BMW, which has a fuel economy of 39 mpg. The Harley also has a larger fuel tank, at 5 gallons, than the BMW, which has a 4.2-gallon tank.

The BMW R 18 Classic has a higher price tag, at $24,015, than the Harley-Davidson Heritage Classic 114, which costs $20,399. The BMW also has a higher weight, at 804 pounds, than the Harley, which weighs 728 pounds34. The BMW has a longer wheelbase, at 68.1 inches, than the Harley, which has a wheelbase of 64.2 inches34. The BMW has a shorter rake, at 32.7 degrees, than the Harley, which has a rake of 30 degrees.

In conclusion, the BMW R 18 Classic and the Harley-Davidson Heritage Classic 114 are both great cruiser motorcycles with touring capabilities, but they have different strengths and weaknesses. The BMW has a more unique and modern style, a more powerful and faster engine, and a more comfortable and upright riding position. The Harley has a more classic and familiar style, a more economical and reliable engine, and a more spacious and cockpit-like riding position. The choice between the two bikes depends on your personal preference, budget, and riding style. I hope this comparison was helpful for you.

Thanks for posting. It's an interesting example of the future (and the present). It is, however, worthless to my eye as it's a broad-brush review. It contains no truly useful information or insights, and I question some of the conclusions. I can read spec sheets & look at actual bikes (or photos) myself to draw my personal conclusions.
An interesting read and, again, thanks for posting it.

Indeed. This is what AI is able to do, hence limited to whatever resources are out there. It simply cannot ride the bikes!
So the future is going to be filled with shallow opinions from expert AI customer service 'agents'.

However, there are also some notable differences between the two bikes. The BMW R 18 Classic has a horizontally opposed twin engine, while the Harley-Davidson Heritage Classic 114 has a 45-degree V-twin engine. The BMW engine has a more distinctive look, with its enormous cylinders sticking out each side of the engine case, right in front of the rider’s shins. The Harley engine has a more traditional and familiar feel, with its chrome and fenders.
Ehhh...this is VERY subjective.

To an American audience, sure. But, to a European audience, not so much. A little history: Harley Davidson's first v-twin motor came out in 1909 and, we all know that BMW came out with its boxer in 1923, which it has steadily ran with this whole time.

Source: https://www.thunderbike.com/harley-davidson-engines/

So, while HD has been in the game longer than BMW, I think the wordplay "distinctive" versus "traditional" varies where you live. 🤷‍♂️

Or, perhaps I'm just being pedantic and overly-critical that "AI" merely scrapes pre-written content and regurgitates it 🤣

Mike

Ehhh...this is VERY subjective.

To an American audience, sure. But, to a European audience, not so much. A little history: Harley Davidson's first v-twin motor came out in 1909 and, we all know that BMW came out with its boxer in 1923, which it has steadily ran with this whole time.

Source: https://www.thunderbike.com/harley-davidson-engines/

So, while HD has been in the game longer than BMW, I think the wordplay "distinctive" versus "traditional" varies where you live. 🤷‍♂️

Or, perhaps I'm just being pedantic and overly-critical that "AI" merely scrapes pre-written content and regurgitates it 🤣

Mike
Too good!

Kheen wrote: "So, while HD has been in the game longer than BMW, I think the wordplay "distinctive" versus "traditional" varies where you live. 🤷‍♂️

Or, perhaps I'm just being pedantic and overly-critical that "AI" merely scrapes pre-written content and regurgitates it 🤣"

Reading this, I wonder if you would enjoy the Dull Men's Club on the dratted FB. It's a hoot.

Copilot® is the latest commercial LLM neural network scraping the web, ceaselessly progressed by increasingly PC data-science minders. Several more are imminent, no doubt. The motorcycle-specific micro-slice of its vast information trough ranges from carefully worded motorcycle reviews (penned by journos wishing to attend the next exotic test location) to ranting forum dwellers (like us) and virtually everything in between. Its prudent query replies are tuned to pacifyingly enlighten the median reader without, amongst others, derogating/insulting anyone, even indirectly, or verbatim copy-pasting another LLM’s response. And there are no motorcycle simulators in the cloud yet. XBOX® do not qualify (-:

In 2014 I decided that it was time to own an Adventure bike. I already owned my fifth successive BMW motorcar by then. The R 1200 GSA was the obvious choice from all I had heard and read. I took one for a test ride, prepared to ride it home afterwards, and absolutely detested the BMW Tele-lever front suspension. Nothing I had read prepared me for that. It simply did not work like 42-years’ prior motorcycle riding had conditioned my senses, reflexes, and expectations. I bought a KTM 1190 Adventure S instead. That remains one of my favorite rides, a thrill every minute.

In 2016 I concluded that a totally-wife-friendly Touring Rig had also become a necessary acquisition. I had owned a pearl-white Honda CBX-B, with matching panniers, in the early eighties and I missed the inline-six’s look and sound. So, the K 1600 GTL was a no-brainer. And nothing but rave reviews. I took one for a test ride, fully preempting my Tele-lever reservations (a girder-like but nonetheless similar Duo-lever on the K1600) and prepared to concentrate on everything else that was good about it including that intoxicating straight-six howl. I ended up returning for another two test rides, each a week apart, and then got a Honda Goldwing instead. It is a keeper as well since the 2018+ Goldwing now features Honda’s own version of the Tele-lever (a Hossack-like double-wishbone in Honda’s case, allowing the front wheel to travel straight up and down) and less luggage space.

BMW are selling R 1250 GSs like hotcakes and the new R 1300 GS ticks even more boxes, with an improved Tele-lever to boot. The already excellent R 1250 RT will get that mill and mod as well. The K 1600 Grand America is simply one h3ll of a motorcycle. But not for me.

I bought the R18 based only on what the R18 Concept looked like. It simply flicked a switch in my skull, despite most early reviews dissing it. I had ordered mine before they even started shipping to South Africa, initially duped into believing that I could configure it online, and then that I could simply order whatever I wished to fit on it. I am happy with it nevertheless and I will not flip it – its ‘out there’ and a hoot to ride, except not too far. But I cannot say outright that I enjoy it more than I do my 2014 Twin-cam Breakout or my 2021 M8 Electra Glide. That’s just me as well.

Seat of the pants, eye/ear of the beholder and equation-free pure passion-stroke-pleasure. Everything else is noise. The artificial opinion component (Copilot®, ChatGPT®, et al) will most likely only render whiter noise. Never mind conjure up the odd ‘hallucination’ (-:

Last edited:
Back