More R18s in Costa Rica!

Interesting comments from the author. Certainly ergonomics and seat comfort are very subjective, but hard to believe everyone in this group couldn't handle the "iron butt" like conditions while traveling a whole 100+ miles a day. There are certainly a wide variety of other models to pick from, but the R18 on any jammed street with more stop than go is certainly no worse than any other motorcycle I've ridden in those conditions where an auto transmission scooter would likely be the best type of mount. I think the relatively tall first gear would make for a bunch of clutch work that gets old fast in those conditions, but again, the R18 is not unique in that aspect. Seems like the vehicle offered/actual riding is secondary to the stopping to smell the roses aspect of this tour so given his comments I would have liked him to share what he uses as his gold standard when comparing the poor R18 experience.

I'm only 65 years old and have ridden for 57 of those years on almost every type, style and Brand of on and off road motorcycle I could lay my hands on and couldn't add all the unpleasantness I've suffered over all those years to equal what this poor man experienced over the equivalent of a nice day long ride. Admittedly with old injuries and added birthdays I do wear Moto skivvies or bicycle type compression shorts and I occasionally stand up on the pegs while riding to get in a quick stretch when needed, but that is universal to all my bikes.

Last edited:
Interesting comments from the author. Certainly ergonomics and seat comfort are very subjective, but hard to believe everyone in this group couldn't handle the "iron butt" like conditions while traveling a whole 100+ miles a day. There are certainly a wide variety of other models to pick from, but the R18 on any jammed street with more stop than go is certainly no worse than any other motorcycle I've ridden in those conditions where an auto transmission scooter would likely be the best type of mount. I think the relatively tall first gear would make for a bunch of clutch work that gets old fast in those conditions, but again, the R18 is not unique in that aspect. Seems like the vehicle offered/actual ring is secondary to the stopping to smell the roses aspect of this tour so given his comments I would have liked him to share what he uses as his gold standard when comparing the poor R18 experience.

I'm only 65 years old and have ridden for 57 of those years on almost every type, style and Brand of on and off road motorcycle I could lay my hands on and couldn't add all the unpleasantness I've suffered over all those years to equal what this poor man experienced over the equivalent of a nice day long ride. Admittedly with old injuries and added birthdays I do wear Moto skivvies or bicycle type compression shorts and I occasionally stand up on the pegs while riding to get in a quick stretch when needed, but that is universal to all my bikes.
Agreed. 100 miles is a quick ride on my R18, not what I’d expect to cover in a whole day while touring, though I guess it depends on average road speed. I will admit the stock seat leaves a lot to be desired and I’d want a break at 100 miles. I have to imagine that they are spreading the 100-150 miles a day over at least 6 hours, so the interval between stops would have to be pretty small.

I understand that ergo is very specific to each person so no quarrel with the author. But jeez... those people commenting on that article, particularly those who haven't actually ridden the bike vex me greatly.

I think BMW made the stock seat to complete a look. It's definitely not a comfortable saddle. I ended up installing the Cross Country Seat.

I did a 500+ mile trip to NYC, consisting of lots of highway miles and NYC streets, on my FE without problems. Granted I am a smaller, younger guy who is used to mid controls but people should really give the bike a chance/try before making some of those comments (again, speaking of those commenters, not the author).

The bikes were equipped with a variety of thrones; in addition to stock, BMW offers a single-seat Hommage, Custom Brown, Custom Fastback Brown, Day Rider Brown, Weekender Black, and Cross Country Black. By general agreement they were all uncomfortable.

I wonder if the discomfort they were feeling was really due to the rear suspension.

I have a hard time believing that they found all of those BMW/Mustang seats uncomfortable.

Personally, I find my Cross Country seat extremely comfortable, if a bit too large, but the rear suspension is far from perfect.

I wonder if the discomfort they were feeling was really due to the rear suspension.

I have a hard time believing that they found all of those BMW/Mustang seats uncomfortable.

Personally, I find my Cross Country seat extremely comfortable, if a bit too large, but the rear suspension is far from perfect.
Same for me. I didn't like the stock seat, but my Weekender is all-day comfortable. But I set the suspension pre-load first thing when bike was delivered.

Unfortunately for me, fully geared I'm still under weight for the suspension :(.
Your math must be off. The base setting in the manual is 8 turns for 100KG. It's 1 turn per 10KG above or below the base. If you back off the 8 turns to lowest setting, that would mean fully geared weight of 20KG, or about 44 pounds. I have to imagine you weigh more than that as that's what my 7 year old son weighs.

1649351323961.png

As I understand this, the farthest setting (lowest) is to the counterclockwise maximum. According to the second box on page 58, that's for a fully fueled bike with an 85kg rider.

Again, as I understand it, there aren't any settings available for lower weight rider. I'm lighter than 85kg geared up.

I see what's going on, mine is a base model FE, one of the early ones. Apparently the suspension setting is different for mine vs the newer ones and the Classic.

The following is from the manual for the Classic.

1649351977459.png

Last edited:
Haha, my math was off! It's actually 2 turns per 10KG. I'm also using the Classic manual which has a different base setting as you noted as it assumes the saddlebags, windscreen & driving lights weight. So the lowest vehicle load on the Classic would be about 60KG or ~132lbs. The base R18 manual is a bit weird in that it says 2 turns per 10KG but also that at 6 turns it would be 110KG. If we remove those 6 turns it should take off ~30KG of preload to be 80KG, not 85KG. May not help you as 80KG is still ~176lbs. I typically find that between clothes, boots, riding gear, helmet & gloves, it adds about 20-30lbs to your normal bathroom weight. If you have any other load, like bags those would also need to be accounted for.

Reactions: Vyk
So, all the turned all the way is 85kg/187lbs. I too am below that even geared up. If you have messed with the settings, all the way left, and the adjuster feels loose, or no resistance. After a couple of full rotations (right), is when resistance starts. I think, I have set mine, right after the resistance starts. Anybody, set theirs in the loose zone, of all the way left?

The preload in the manual is a starting setting, you should feel free to adjust to taste. For example on mine, I went one full turn beyond what my riding weight would suggest, as I tend to like a bit firmer feel. On my S1000R, I did the opposite, about 1 turn looser since that bike is already quite firm & for street use, I'd like more compliance. I'd go with the manual recommendations for the track.

For pbosik & Vyk who are below the lowest setting, I'd ask how does the bike feel? Is it too harsh or does it feel like it wallows thru the bends? That should influence how you might further refine the setting.

Back