Motocamping Shenandoah / Blue Ridge Parkway / Back of the Dragon

51rhC

Site Supporter
Just returned from a three day motocamping trip through Shenandoah National Park, the Blueridge Parkway, and Back of the Dragon. I started on Skyline Drive in Front Royal, VA and headed South to Rocky Knob on Day 1. Day two started with a two hour ridge through the beautiful Virginia valleys to the Back of the Dragon in Tazwell. A fun ride on Route 16 with 438 curves in 32 miles. After this I headed to the Peaks of Otter in the Blue Ridge Mountains to camp for the night. I met several other motorcyclist at the campground, including a gentleman who travels full time on his Goldwing. Day three was the best riding of the trip. It felt like fall with temperatures starting in the low 50's and never getting above 65 until descending down the mountains. I headed north on the Parkway and continues on Skyline Drive. It was a bit of a slower ride with more stops along the route. This was my first time camping off the TC and was a precursor to a longer trip next year from Shenandoah, through the Blueridge Mountains, and down through the Smokey Mountains. If anyone is interested in joining me, please reach out.IMG_9884.jpgIMG_9907.jpgIMG_9910.jpgView attachment IMG_0037.JPGIMG_9981.jpgView attachment IMG_0037.JPGIMG_0035.JPGView attachment DSC06973.JPGIMG_0030.JPG

Last edited:
Great ride! Thanks for sharing! I have the Dragon on my list, one of these days...
Good idea using grab strap to help secure luggage on seat. (y)

Just returned from a three day motocamping trip through Shenandoah National Park, the Blueridge Parkway, and Back of the Dragon. I started on Skyline Drive in Front Royal, VA and headed South to Rocky Knob on Day 1. Day two started with a two hour ridge through the beautiful Virginia valleys to the Back of the Dragon in Tazwell. A fun ride on Route 16 with 438 curves in 32 miles. After this I headed to the Peaks of Otter in the Blue Ridge Mountains to camp for the night. I met several other motorcyclist at the campground, including a gentleman who travels full time on his Goldwing. Day three was the best riding of the trip. It felt like fall with temperatures starting in the low 50's and never getting above 65 until descending down the mountains. I headed north on the Parkway and continues on Skyline Drive. It was a bit of a slower ride with more stops along the route. This was my first time camping off the TC and was a precursor to a longer trip next year from Shenandoah, through the Blueridge Mountains, and down through the Smokey Mountains. If anyone is interested in joining me, please reach out.View attachment 11473View attachment 11474View attachment 11475View attachment 11491View attachment 11476View attachment 11477View attachment 11478View attachment 11479View attachment 11481
What's the size of your wild Hearth bag ?

What's the size of your wild Hearth bag ?
I used the 100L bag on this trip. It is an excellent affordable option. I experienced rain without issue and the construction feels like it will last a long time. I'm sure it will work great on a variety of motorcycles, but it feels like it was perfectly designed to go on top of the Transcontinental's trunk. The straps are perfectly sized to hold it tight at their longest positions. Rok-Strap style bungies are included, but were not necessary for my application.

Thanks for the review, i will probably buy a luugage rack before to put a bag on, i'm afraid to scratch my tourpack , my TC is black, but the size seem to be perfect for travel, i'm always two up for the travel time

Back