Motoscan

David R

I ordered the adapter and bought the premium software. I hooked it up to the bike. The bike had some codes stored and I cleared them.

I could see a lot of Data, like RPM, engine temp, Fuel injector time, ignition timing. There are 33 parameters. Oil temp, intake air temp, and "Coolant temp" where it gets that from, I don't know. all three numbers are differnt.

I tried to reset the oil change reminder and it would not take. It would say it was reset, but then shut the bike off and turn back on, it said oil change due 10,000 miles Jan 2022. I reset it a few times, No luck.

The read out is metric and I found no way to change it.
Its probably all the operator. :)
David

I ordered the adapter and bought the premium software. I hooked it up to the bike. The bike had some codes stored and I cleared them.

I could see a lot of Data, like RPM, engine temp, Fuel injector time, ignition timing. There are 33 parameters. Oil temp, intake air temp, and "Coolant temp" where it gets that from, I don't know. all three numbers are differnt.

I tried to reset the oil change reminder and it would not take. It would say it was reset, but then shut the bike off and turn back on, it said oil change due 10,000 miles Jan 2022. I reset it a few times, No luck.

David
Are you referring to using the GS911 or a different device entirely?

David
Questions: Looking at the display on your bike is the Service Reminder gone? If it is, all is well. Does the display on your bike say 10,000 miles or km? You can change the display.

When I reset mine, I saw the same read-out but on the Motoscan screen, I tried to change it from Km to M and couldn’t but then realized the bike itself knows the difference because it will display either one at your choosing. 10k is “close enough” to 6,000 miles (6,213.712 to be precise). So if your Service Reminder is off you’re good to go! The Motoscan app “ain’t ‘merican” but neither are our R18s! 🤣

OK, thank you for some common sense.

YES, its 10,000 KM.

I change my oil every 3,000 and have in all my bikes and cars. I was trying to set it to 3,000 (km).

The tool does work, and I like it. I just need a little more time with it.

My last bike was an R1200R. 75,000 miles, never had the "Service" reminder put out. It has been on since 6,000 miles.

I tried to look at the data and see why it idles like sh*t when in ROCK. I think its programed in to the bike to run like sh*t. Instead of a nice consistent rhythmic Idle, it shakes and sounds like an American V twin. I do not like this at ALLL. Its a BMW it should be smooth and quiet. I am embarrassed at stops when its shaking and running like crap. I usually put it in ROLL to avoid the aggravation.

David

YES, its 10,000 KM.

I change my oil every 3,000 and have in all my bikes and cars. I was trying to set it to 3,000 (km).

My last bike was an R1200R. 75,000 miles, never had the "Service" reminder put out. It has been on since 6,000 miles.

I tried to look at the data and see why it idles like sh*t when in ROCK. I think its programed in to the bike to run like sh*t. Instead of a nice consistent rhythmic Idle, it shakes and sounds like an American V twin. I do not like this at ALLL. Its a BMW it should be smooth and quiet. I am embarrassed at stops when its shaking and running like crap. I usually put it in ROLL to avoid the aggravation.

David
I think the majority of us LOVE the way it idles in Rock. I would not want it any other way. Whatever 'rocks' your boat (-:

David

From Cycleworld 9/2020 (bold, mine)

Three main bearings support the longitudinally mounted crankshaft—one between the 180-degree rod journals. This increases the offset between the cylinders—the left forward of the right—and imparts the classic “rocking couple” vibration exhibited by non-counterbalanced boxers of yore. Only it’s greater due to the wider separation of the connecting rods by that center bearing. Add to this the strong flywheel effect that amplifies the R 18′s left-to-right shake at idle—and it’s pure cruiser. And like old-time boxers, there is no balance shaft in this engine—BMW’s engineers wanted you to feel that flywheel effect and a strong engine pulse. They got it, now you have it.

YES, its 10,000 KM.

David
Yep it feels like they used a manhole lid for a flywheel! It still surprises me sometimes when downshifting prior to entering a curve just a little hot…right when I blip the throttle between gears it’s like “What’d I run over? Oh nothing.”

The flywheel should smooth out the pulses.

David
Should of but then it wouldn’t feel like an effin’ harley as you so aptly put it! LOL They should’ve named the Modes “Shake, Rattle, and Roll” to make it even more “American” (and more accurate). Maybe if they ever decide to sell us accessories as promised they will include a “smooth it out” flash accessory you can download for $100 bucks or so!

I would pay $100.00!

David
When Polaris® introduced their Stage 2 Cams for the Indian Thunder Stroke 111 motor, it came with an ECU tune that resulted primarily in a 'lumpy idle' with hardly any more power, save a low-rpm increase in torque. Those Stage 2 Cams well outsold the proper performance cams offered by Lloydz® and Andrews®, at least till that lumpy idle could be replicated in tunes associated with the latter. It sounds like you are already missing your R1200R (?).

Last edited:
Back