My $23,000 Boat Anchor thanks BMW

People love to get online to post a negative review! It’s the positives we generally see fewer of.
Hes right you know.gif

Or, another way to look at all the R18 owners who don't post, because there's no issues with their bikes:
Sampling Bias.jpg
If only people who have issues with R18's post online, then ALL R18 owners must have issues with their motorcycles, right???

Be wary of "Sampling Bias"... ;)

Mike

So to be clear....you bought the bike brand new from a dealer? And I am by no means doubting anything you've said or the pics you've posted. You spent you life in the car business, how did you take delivery with the bike in this condition ?? Did you get chance to inspect the bike before you took deliver??
What are the particulars??
Did Irodemine actually state that he had been in the car biz? I must have missed that. And your query about whether the R18 was purchased new is germane. I want to know the name of the selling BMW motorcycle dealer.

Did Irodemine actually state that he had been in the car biz? I must have missed that. And your query about whether the R18 was purchased new is germane. I want to know the name of the selling BMW motorcycle dealer.

He did mention that it was purchased in Modesto, CA; which I guessing is Powersports of Modesto, as they are the only BMW dealer in that City..

Irodemine,
Please send an international post (i.e., letter) to Stefan Quandt (scion of the Herbert Quandt family that controls BMW) and mail a copy to Markus Flasch (recently-appointed CEO of BMW Motorrad). Use Delivery Only To Addressee (aka/ Restricted Delivery) with Return Receipt Request. Have someone with excellent penmanship (yes, probably a female artist) address each envelope with your return address on the back flap of the envelope (rather than the upper left-hand corner). Omitt your name from the Return Address. No need to spend $55 as I did with my FedEx to Siemens’ CEO ten years ago. Simply use Priority Mail International via the USPS. No need to thank me.

View attachment 13105

Or, another way to look at all the R18 owners who don't post, because there's no issues with their bikes:
View attachment 13106
If only people who have issues with R18's post online, then ALL R18 owners must have issues with their motorcycles, right???

Be wary of "Sampling Bias"... ;)

Mike
I appreciate this comment! So many people don't understand this concept or in other words, "what's your test group?"
I don't post very much for the very reason stated above: I don't have issues.
I am one of those 2021 FE owners with almost 10,000 miles and not any problems (that I haven't fixed myself!). Love the bike. Love to ride. Can't wait for warmer weather.

Don’t disagree with that. The only thing I would add is that for the Forum to be buoyant and have forward momentum it needs all of us to contribute at least a little bit, especially those owners without problems. Otherwise the silent majority run the risk of distorting the ownership experience for newbies and potential newbies because those with an issue inadvertently hog the content. Before I bought my bike I spent a couple of days reading everything I could on this forum, to get a ‘feel’ for it. It’s very important we get this right. It’s a great source of information.

Yes, Irodemine says he spent many years in the service dept. at auto dealerships. And appears to have extensive experience around bikes and cars outside of his job....
And that makes the whole thing all the more puzzling. From the pics he posted, the damage, wear, et. appears to be quite visible to the naked eye without a critical inspection. And someone with decades of experience is certainly going to examine what he's buying even if it's just a once over lightly, he has a trained eye...
Anyway....I feel bad for the guy assuming everything is on the up and up. The R18 in its various configurations has been out there a few years now. I don't know how many bikes have been produced to date, but in total enough to evaluate if there are any major flaws in the parts or design. I'm seeing less than a handful and they seem to be minor. So offhand I would say the "product" has an overall excellent quality and reliability rating.
In reality, the bike is pretty basic, a big ass motor, not a high compression ratio really, not much electrical to go bad, and I like the solid shaft drive without floating it on a so called swingarm. This transfers more of the power put out by the motor to the rear wheel without the usual loss..

A brand new bike??
Brand new bike… dealer and BMW NA screwed me over so bad I will NEVER, EVER give them another dollar. And I have a 500,000 mile award from them. I sent it back and told them where to put it. BMW NA has screwed that company up so badly, along with the new stand alone dealer network (mine turned out to be so crooked he has to screw his pants on). I bought 5 bikes from BMW of Cleveland; the first one that had trouble the principal hosed me completely. Never not ever again. I need a new ADV bike; my GS is not good :). I have owned every iteration of the GS just about (including yes, an R80 GS I bought in Germany) I would not ride another GS if they offered me one for free. Not to mention the GS has turned into a weird looking Gold wing :)

Brand new bike… dealer and BMW NA screwed me over so bad I will NEVER, EVER give them another dollar. And I have a 500,000 mile award from them. I sent it back and told them where to put it. BMW NA has screwed that company up so badly, along with the new stand alone dealer network (mine turned out to be so crooked he has to screw his pants on). I bought 5 bikes from BMW of Cleveland; the first one that had trouble the principal hosed me completely. Never not ever again. I need a new ADV bike; my GS is not good :). I have owned every iteration of the GS just about (including yes, an R80 GS I bought in Germany) I would not ride another GS if they offered me one for free. Not to mention the GS has turned into a weird looking Gold wing :)

There are days when I miss my GS Adventure; I still find myself looking at the new models each year... With that said.. I like my R18 B more; as a civil servant, I can only have one motorcycle in my garage at any one time. (Me being as practical as possible... not saying motorcycle ownership is practical..)

I sold my GS just prior to me logging 100k miles on it; that money went directly to the purchase of my R18 B.
Screenshot_20240210-054253.png

There are days when I miss my GS Adventure; I still find myself looking at the new models each year... With that said.. I like my R18 B more; as a civil servant, I can only have one motorcycle in my garage at any one time. (Me being as practical as possible... not saying motorcycle ownership is practical..)

I sold my GS just prior to me logging 100k miles on it; that money went directly to the purchase of my R18 B.
View attachment 13151
The GS has become a bloated mess (although the wet clutch is a good call.) I have an R1200Gs with about 125 on the clock. It has Ohlins shocks but other than that it has all its parts that came with it. R18 has only 10,000 miles and can’t say that :)

Back