My Beach Bar installation

It is a billet item that uses the OEM inner assembly from the stock cap. You only need a C-clip pliers to remove and install the insert.
There are knock-offs from China on eBay but they don’t look that great in the pictures. The RSD cap is very well made.
Good to Know, i had to look the pliers up, I always called them snap ring pliers but I see they actually can also be called Circlip, rotor clip, Jesus clip,

I finally had some time to get back out in the garage and work on the turn signals. I installed the Kellermann Atto lights using Kellermann's Variable Mount. I removed the front signals and used a M6 button head screw to attach the mount to the large nut that attached the OEM signal to the controls. I really didn't want to cut into the factory harness so I used the Wunderlich indicator extension adaptor cable. I was uncertain if I would need a resister added but in the end found it is not needed.

I went with the Atto lights on Hans Lang's recommendation. I was a little uncertain because they are so tiny but I can tell you they unbelievably bright. Han's is building me a rear fender that will incorporate the Integral Atto lights.

I also replaced the bar-end mirrors with Biltwell mirrors. With the beach bar the bar-ends interfered when the bars were fully turned. The Biltwells worked out perfectly.

IMG_5489.jpegIMG_5490.jpegIMG_5491.jpeg

I finally had some time to get back out in the garage and work on the turn signals. I installed the Kellermann Atto lights using Kellermann's Variable Mount. I removed the front signals and used a M6 button head screw to attach the mount to the large nut that attached the OEM signal to the controls. I really didn't want to cut into the factory harness so I used the Wunderlich indicator extension adaptor cable. I was uncertain if I would need a resister added but in the end found it is not needed.

I went with the Atto lights on Hans Lang's recommendation. I was a little uncertain because they are so tiny but I can tell you they unbelievably bright. Han's is building me a rear fender that will incorporate the Integral Atto lights.

I also replaced the bar-end mirrors with Biltwell mirrors. With the beach bar the bar-ends interfered when the bars were fully turned. The Biltwells worked out perfectly.

View attachment 4992View attachment 4993View attachment 4994
Great Work MD!

The extended wiring harnesses are more than long enough to accommodate internal routing. In the video on YouTube they have to zip tie the considerable remaining length underneath the tank.
Removing the right side harness from the bars was tight (slathered with lithium grease from the factory) but I just needed to take my time to arrange the connectors properly before pulling them past the bends and not cause any damage. The beach bar has far gentler bends so getting the wires past the them will go easier

Here is where I have questions. You have to ask yourself why the beach bar does not come with the slots milled from the factory to allow for internal wiring?
If you look closely you can see the ridge on the beach bar near the reduced grip area. I am not certain if this is a pressed-in segment. I did run a length of wire through the bar to make certain there is no solid sections inside the bar. But I will have to mill the slot near or over that seam. My next step is to endoscope the inside of the bars to see what I'm up against there.

View attachment 4125
I ordered extension wiring but only one side turned up which is part number 1 605 831 (bottom one in pic). Do you know part number for top one in your pic please

I ordered extension wiring but only one side turned up which is part number 1 605 831 (bottom one in pic). Do you know part number for top one in your pic please
Sorry, but I do not have the part numbers. I would think the dealer you ordered from should be able to figure it out.

This is a big help for me to see how you’re doing the lights - thank you! I have one question about the hardware I circled in red. Are those needed and are those Kellermann pieces? I ordered the lights and the variable mount adaptor M6. I am trying to confirm that I have the correct pieces.

Attachments

• 8B8982B7-C0F6-455B-B5FD-04F1E1053424.jpeg
    8B8982B7-C0F6-455B-B5FD-04F1E1053424.jpeg
    394.7 KB · Views: 13
This is a big help for me to see how you’re doing the lights - thank you! I have one question about the hardware I circled in red. Are those needed and are those Kellermann pieces? I ordered the lights and the variable mount adaptor M6. I am trying to confirm that I have the correct pieces.
I ordered the parts from Kuryakyn. Here is the Amazon link to them:

Kuryakyn 2582 Motorcycle Lighting Accessory: Turn Signal/Blinker Variable Mounting Adapters for Kellermann Atto, Micro S, Rhombus S, M6 Internal Threads, Black, 1 Pair https://a.co/d/9KKBRSM

No, you do not need to empty the tank but it is obviously lighter with less fuel.
Download the installation instructions off of the BMW website. They are pretty complete.

Really enjoyed your thorough explanations and detailed photos of the whole handlebar indicator exercise. My last cruiser was a 1900 Roadliner as well and loved the torque. After a stint doing enduros I am back on cruisers and luvin my R18 Custom. I have risers to change hand position but it looks like beach bars will be the answer. Amazing there is no provision for internal wiring. Thanks for the R&D, you leave no stone unturned.

Back