My new R18TC, First ride impressions.....

Shake-N-Bake

Premium Member
Site Supporter
I have to tell you all that I am thrilled by how the R18 TC rides.

Understanding that I am within the 600 mile break-in period, my trips are having to be shorter than I would prefer; however, the bike rides great! When you keep the engine revs in the "comfort zone" you can ride like this all day. But if you want to pass someone, the machine turns into a beast!

I have read many reviews of people complaining that the R18 gets too buzzy or vibrates too much at high speeds. To me this is an asset. There is no need to be cruising at 90mph all day. It's not like you can't take the bike up to these speeds, but no one in their right mind is going to cruise at these speeds....the R18 lets you know this.

It is a fabulous handing motorcycle. It feels lighter and more nimble than my 2019 Road Glide. Truly an amazing machine. I am thrilled with the "chance I took" to get back to a BMW MC.

Just wanted to share the love.

Later,

Bake

I agree the TC is more nimble than the RoadGlide (I had a 2018 RG). In lower gears I shift this bike at about 1800 rpm. In higher gears 2200.
Once you figure out the jog wheel & the menu select toggle, the technology screen is flat out awesome.
And did I say the TC has beautiful optics?
This isn’t a criticism but I have ordered a seat WITH backrest from Russell day-long.
Welcome to the forum.
BTW I park my TC at home with the kickstand on a 6x6x1.5 inch board. BMW has always had more lean on their bikes. I don’t know why.

I agree the TC is more nimble than the RoadGlide (I had a 2018 RG). In lower gears I shift this bike at about 1800 rpm. In higher gears 2200.
Once you figure out the jog wheel & the menu select toggle, the technology screen is flat out awesome.
This isn’t a criticism but I have ordered a seat WITH backrest from Russell day-long.
Welcome to the forum.
BTW I park my TC at home with the kickstand on a 6x6x1.5 inch board. BMW has always had more lean on their bikes. I don’t know why.
What’s your build date, looking forward to seeing the pics…

Build date for the Russell seat is 3rd week in September. They are backed up quite a distance. Cant wait for the backrest and a whole lot of added material to the front 1/3 of the seat.

Understanding that I am within the 600 mile break-in period, my trips are having to be shorter than I would prefer; however, the bike rides great! When you keep the engine revs in the "comfort zone" you can ride like this all day. But if you want to pass someone, the machine turns into a beast!

I have read many reviews of people complaining that the R18 gets too buzzy or vibrates too much at high speeds. To me this is an asset. There is no need to be cruising at 90mph all day. It's not like you can't take the bike up to these speeds, but no one in their right mind is going to cruise at these speeds....the R18 lets you know this.

It is a fabulous handing motorcycle. It feels lighter and more nimble than my 2019 Road Glide. Truly an amazing machine. I am thrilled with the "chance I took" to get back to a BMW MC.

Later,

Bake
I totally agree with you on the vibes at higher speeds. With me trying to work on my very aggressive riding style the vibes have forced me to stay at more sensible speeds. BTW I would recommend purchasing some Grip Puppies. After some time the vibes on the throttle side grip began to annoy me.

Later,

Bake
I had over 1700 miles by the time I had my initial service in October. Dealer stated that those miles were a non issue.

I totally agree with you on the vibes at higher speeds. With me trying to work on my very aggressive riding style the vibes have forced me to stay at more sensible speeds. BTW I would recommend purchasing some Grip Puppies. After some time the vibes on the throttle side grip began to annoy me.
I have found those vibes seem to have disappeared as the miles increased. My R18C has over 10,000 miles on it but smoothed out a lot around 6,000 miles.

Welcome to the forum.
I was set on getting a Road Glide and then saw the TC online and had to go visit one. Within a mile of test drive I was sold. I agree it's more nimble and also carries the weight better. I can set the ACC, go hands free and the bike holds a solid line. However, a shift in weight comfortably changes the line. Nothing erratic and also not too stiff.

Back