Navigation mount

Can you take pictures from the side? how high is it sitting up?

I had been looking into the possibility to use two of these bracketr between the existing steer mount and then place a navigation straight on them. Only not sure if there is enough clearance between the cross bar of the steer mount and the steer.

Last edited:
These balls are big enough for a trailer ! 😮
Yeah. They're biguns. But I already had cell phone & GPS mounts in 1" for my other motorcycle, so I stuck with that size.
Hey! The R18 is all about BIG stuff. Might as well stick with that theme.

I dunno. I've always been the kind of rider who picks a destination, studies a map, and then formulates a rough idea of which state highways and county roads will get me there. I pretty much always take a wrong turn and end of off my intended course. I was supposed to turn right at YY, I knew it! But, while off on those meandering tangents, I also stumble into sights I would've missed: A beautiful bridge or church. A charming little cemetery. A particularly curvy and well-paved stretch of road. Not that there wouldn't have also been sights worth seeing along my intended course, no, but they seem even more delicious when encountered accidentally.

So, would a GPS enhance my rides? I'm genuinely curious. I wouldn't HAVE to use it continuously. When I eventually stop to figure out where the hell I am, it could function as my phone does now but without cellular dead spots, yes?

The Garmin tire pressure sensor function would be an intriguing bonus though

E3E6E171-D7DA-4FC3-BA99-E43AA4D5DA2A.jpeg

Nate

Last edited:
I used the same ball as Mucker for my Garmin Zumo XT.1E078312-34E1-4624-BC34-400A866F2F16.jpeg

Attachments

• E04665F3-6737-4F7A-AA1F-87598B8A00C1.jpeg
    E04665F3-6737-4F7A-AA1F-87598B8A00C1.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 26
I dunno. I've always been the kind of rider who picks a destination, studies a map, and then formulates a rough idea of which state highways and county roads will get me there. I pretty much always take a wrong turn and end of off my intended course. I was supposed to turn right at YY, I knew it! But, while off on those meandering tangents, I also stumble into sights I would've missed: A beautiful bridge or church. A charming little cemetery. A particularly curvy and well-paved stretch of road. Not that there wouldn't have also been sights worth seeing along my intended course, no, but they seem even more delicious when encountered accidentally.

So, would a GPS enhance my rides? I'm genuinely curious. I wouldn't HAVE to use it continuously. When I eventually stop to figure out where the hell I am, it could function as my phone does now but without cellular dead spots, yes?

The Garmin tire pressure sensor function would be an intriguing bonus though

View attachment 483

Nate
I have been riding motorcycle for over 40 years and never had more than a map with me and now my mobile phone. I would indeed ride the highway for some time and then take off and just ride around until I am fed up and then figure out a way homw. Now with the new bike, I joined a BMW Cruiser group and the members accross the country take turn in setting out a track to ride and use teh navigations to give you the ride details. So taht is why I am looking to use it for when going out to ride in a different province than where I am used to ride. For that reason I am looking for a mount that is not too obvious when I am riding it without. I indeed had seen the pressure control, but unfortunately, that is not working anymore on the newer GPS.

Who has figured out a solution for a navigation mount that does not do harm to the R18 design and you can still see the speedometer?
I got the beeline. It works great. Very nonintrusive. It takes a little bit to get used to.

Who has figured out a solution for a navigation mount that does not do harm to the R18 design and you can still see the speedometer?

In the category of "For What It's Worth"... using the RAM ball mounts on the handlebar, it's easy to orient the Tomtom and cell phone so they don't get in the way of the speedo. And, while I do leave the mounts on the handlebar all of the time, I only mount the GPS and/or phone when I have a use for them.
We've all got our own standards for what's acceptable on our ride(s). I'm just putting out my methods. Your mileage may vary.... ;)

it's easy to orient the Tomtom and cell phone so they don't get in the way of the speedo.

I always figured that these Germans just designed around the principle of Heisenberg.... You can either see where you are, or how fast you're going, but not both at the same time. This is particularly true of the GPS mount on the R1250GS.

GMR's mount looks nice, but I'm with TV regarding real-time GPS on the R18. I definitely get why you'd want to though...

Back