New bike is here!

evomind

My bike was delivered today.
Only had time for a 20 mile ride
A few impressions...

The bike is gorgeous, we all know that.
Upon startup with the clutch in, it almost makes a knocking sound at idle but only while holding the clutch in.
Release the clutch and its just its normal thump.
I can feel it profoundly in the left handle grip. Again, release the clutch and its the normal thump and tilt with revs.
Weird.
Also, cannot pull away from a stop smoothly....Weird clutch or something.
Maybe needs a few miles for everything to seat in....IDK.

The bike handles better than I thought and better than I think it gets credit for.
I test drove one a couple of weeks ago but mostly straight roads.

Ride quality not bad. Dealer set suspension at halfway point.
I haven't checked what that equates to as far as clicks and rider weight.

Oh yeah, the seat is terrible comfort wise. We knew that, but its even worse than the one on the regular R18 which I test rode.

A few questions....
Can you adjust the shifter and foot brake?
Do you loosen that top bolt or whatever then adjust the foot lever up/down then re-tighten?

How do you remove the rear pegs?

Lastly, what do you use to cap the holes in the fender when you remove the passenger seat?

Thanks guys

Attachments

• 20230419_185436.jpg
    20230419_185436.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 75
  • 20230419_185415.jpg
    20230419_185415.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 75
  • 20230419_185456.jpg
    20230419_185456.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 70
That’s a lovely bike. It’s just new to you so will feel weird in lots of ways, just take some time to get used to it, maybe ride in Roll mode for a bit, that dampens down some of the kick. There is some adjustment on levers and foot controls but I have not needed to meddle with mine (other than setting rear preload on 6 turns clockwise from base).

Welcome purity bike. The shifter is adjustable loosen the pinch bolt and pull in off the spine and reposition it as you like. It is best to mark its location with a magic marker with a line from the center of the spine to the edge of the petal housing before you remove it so you can visually see how much adjustment you are making. Brake petal I am not sure about I have not tried to adjust it. Most folks just fit the chrome triangular cover back on with a stick plastic washer underneath after taking the rear seat off or there is someone that makes a 3D screw on plug in different colors

That’s a lovely bike. It’s just new to you so will feel weird in lots of ways, just take some time to get used to it, maybe ride in Roll mode for a bit, that dampens down some of the kick. There is some adjustment on levers and foot controls but I have not needed to meddle with mine (other than setting rear preload on 6 turns clockwise from base).
I don't need to damper the kick, Im fine with that.
It's the "knock" I hear sometimes.
Doesnt sound good.
Only with the clutch lever in and bike in gear.
No knock when its revved in neutral.

Last edited:
Heard that more on my R18's when they had lower mileage, say before the 6,000 mile oil change..
I suspect that it'll diminish as the motor breaks in more, I don't even notice it now.
I put mine in roll mode for a minute when I arrive home after each ride, lets the motor smooth out, might be reassuring.

Last edited:
I dont think its a "mode" issue guys.....
It goes away if the bike is in neutral or I let the clutch out.
Its not the vibration or shake or even the way the engine pitches the bike, thats all normal.
Its a loud knock every now and then that is gone when in neutral or I let the clutch out.
Seems to be getting better with a few miles.
I only have 48 miles on it now.

If the dealer isn't worried, I'd suspect it just needs proper breaking in..
and monitor the oil level just to be sure. (y)

Last edited:
If the dealer isn't worried, I'd suspect it just needs proper breaking in..
and monitor the oil level just to be sure. (y)
Agreed on getting some miles in.
Just wondering if anyone else experienced it.
Not sure if I agree that a dealer wouldn't let it go and dump something in a customers lap.
:)

Congrats to your new bike!!! Looking good .. give it a bit time for her to get used to you and you to get used to her 😁 ... by the way if you ever trade out that seat ... give me a shout !!

As to the short front shift peg, WunderlichAmerica sells a longer peg for $55 I think.

Congrats to your new bike!!! Looking good .. give it a bit time for her to get used to you and you to get used to her 😁 ... by the way if you ever trade out that seat ... give me a shout !!
Im about to burn it.
Its pretty to look at though.

Edit...I mean the seat, not the bike.
lol

Last edited:
As to the short front shift peg, WunderlichAmerica sells a longer peg for $55 I think.
The length is fine, I want to adjust it so the shift peg is slightly up. Meaning slightly higher, not further towards the front.
I understand the confusion. :)
Not a biggie, but something I can adjust easily enough.

With reference to covering the pillion seat hole, there should be a black plastic push fit cover that goes over it. It’s a BMW part and cost pennies.
there are also sellers offering fancy machined alloy ones.
Enjoy your new bike, it looks amazing (y) :cool:

I just put a stock R18Classic seat on my Pure. Very pleased with it, the Vintage Solo seat shifted me forward and didn't have as much padding.
The Classic seat has great padding, looks pretty much like the original Pure, and i can get back far enough on it. I'm going to use it until I find a good deal on a 719.

A lot of folks upgrade their stock R18Classic seat one could be a good deal somewhere.

Last edited:
Loving the bike so far but it has become apparent I need a seat that I can actually sit on while riding the bike.
One that is comfortable over longer rides rather than 15-20 mins.
Maybe a Dayrider?
I dont need a passenger seat but its included so I have to pay for more than I need or want.
I like Corbin but I dont like 750 bucks.
I have bought far too many seats in my lifetime to find out after the fact that it wasnt right for me.
Then Im in the seat business trying to sell it to the next guy.
At least Mustang has a money back guarantee. Ill find out if that is extended through BMW.

I also need some bags.
I wasnt sure if I liked the look of the BMW bags, no kind of lock, pricey for what they are, etc....
Now Im taking another look at them.
Wunderlich bags look good maybe too big?
IDK.
I figured I would find people selling stuff.

Driving....
I have to say again this bike handles better than Ive seen reviews give it credit for.
Is the ride quality great?
No, but not all bad with the suspension somewhat dialed in but I only ride solo. Maybe its total crap with a rider + passenger, idk.

Update....After about 75 miles all the clanking stopped and its just all good.
I have about 200 miles on her.
This is my favorite cruiser bike Ive owned considering looks, fit, handling.
Im going to get a seat, probably day rider and the saddlebags.

Back